Zero ball handling. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Zero ball handling.

At least at the pg & c spots.

Our shooting guards and forwards are usually pretty legit in skill and length/athleticism, but a huge issue lately is the lack of a true point guard and zero skill at the C position.

I respectfully disagree. We don’t have a legit PF or C and haven’t in some time. We have a ton of SF’s and SG’s. So agree with you on lack of C and PG.

Holy smokes! What games are you watching? Frank Howard is 5 times the ball handler Carey is. JC will get better but that is a crazy post.

Eh.

I respectfully disagree. We don’t have a legit PF or C and haven’t in some time. We have a ton of SF’s and SG’s. So agree with you on lack of C and PG.
I think Hughes, Brissett and Dolezaj are some legit forwards. It’s 2019, you don’t need a specific 3 and specific 4. Next year we add Guerrier. Lydon was a good Forward (not his fault we force players out of position to overcompensate for our inability to recruit/develop 1’s and 5’s).

I think Hughes, Brissett and Dolezaj are some legit forwards. It’s 2019, you don’t need a specific 3 and specific 4. Next year we add Guerrier. Lydon was a good Forward (not his fault we force players out of position to overcompensate for our inability to recruit/develop 1’s and 5’s).

Maybe read my post. No one said we didn’t have legit forwards. I said we have no one who can play with his back to the basket. And haven’t in a while. It may be 2019, but the need to have an inside presence hasn’t changed.

Thereis a difference between ballhandling and ball security.

Frank is more secure with the ball but can't beat good on-ball defense off the bounce. Carey is looser with the ball than Frank but has much more speed with the ball and the ability to blow by guys.

In a 1on1 game, Frank is the guy who has to shoot stepback jumpers the whole time. Carey is the guy who will get ripped, but will also have a bunch of easy layups after leaving the defender on the ground holding his ankles.

Maybe read my post. No one said we didn’t have legit forwards. I said we have no one who can play with his back to the basket. And haven’t in a while. It may be 2019, but the need to have an inside presence hasn’t changed.
I don’t know why you quoted me then because my entire premise was we don’t recruit/develop point guards and centers.

I hope you don’t want our 4 to play back to basket... that’s extinct.

*We recruited Stewart but obviously lost that battle.

I don’t know why you quoted me then because my entire premise was we don’t recruit/develop point guards and centers.

I hope you don’t want our 4 to play back to basket... that’s extinct.

*We recruited Stewart but obviously lost that battle.

The reason I quoted you is because I disagree that all we need is a center. I think we need a Warrick/DC/CJ type who can play inside out. Not just a bunch of SF’s who can play zone.

Frank is more secure with the ball but can't beat good on-ball defense off the bounce. Carey is looser with the ball than Frank but has much more speed with the ball and the ability to blow by guys.

In a 1on1 game, Frank is the guy who has to shoot stepback jumpers the whole time. Carey is the guy who will get ripped, but will also have a bunch of easy layups after leaving the defender on the ground holding his ankles.

I haven’t seen it. Our fans seem to be in love with Carey because he’s fast, but he hasn’t underperformed to what we thought he would be. He’s also been blocked a ton when he beats his guy. He’s more of a scorer and should probably play the 2 next year.

Just because you are fast and can dribble it doesn’t mean you can setup an offense.

When pressure includes constant hand checking, bumping, and hip checking, any ball handlers will struggle. Remember when NBA finals games used to have scores in the 60s and 70s when they let them play “defense” like that?
You are right there.

The one time Frank was stripped of the ball he physically staggered backwards he was hit so hard.

I haven’t seen it. Our fans seem to be in love with Carey because he’s fast, but he hasn’t underperformed to what we thought he would be. He’s also been blocked a ton when he beats his guy. He’s more of a scorer and should probably play the 2 next year.

Just because you are fast and can dribble it doesn’t mean you can setup an offense.
I'm not arguing he's a PG, if that's how you took it. He's a scoring guard, which was the expectation out of high school

As a freshman, Allen Iverson averaged 5.5 turnovers per 40 minutes with sub-40% shooting.

He's considered one of the greatest ballhandlers in the history of the sport.

Carey averages 5 TO's and shoots better.

Just sayin'

As a freshman, Allen Iverson averaged 5.5 turnovers per 40 minutes with sub-40% shooting.

He's considered one of the greatest ballhandlers in the history of the sport.

Carey averages 5 TO's and shoots better.

Just sayin'

That’s quite the comparison. We can only wish.

Agree 100%.

This supports my argument that you can’t play Hughes at the 2 next year. He doesn’t have the handle to play the 2. He’s a SF. Brissett and Hughes will man the forward spots again. Guerrier will come off the bench.

Agree with this 100%. There are times where his mishandles or fumbling of the ball are really disturbing. Everyone has strengths and weaknessess. Ball handling is not a strength for EH, so we should try to avoid putting him in situations where he has to handle against defensive pressure. He will be able to play the 2 in limited situations, but definitely not as a primary position or against every defense.

Holy smokes! What games are you watching? Frank Howard is 5 times the ball handler Carey is. JC will get better but that is a crazy post.

Yeah, give me 50% of something vs. 100% of nothing every day of the week and twice on Sundays...or something like that. ;)

Carey hurt us last night. I get why he played but hes not good right now and it was a bad call to put him in letting Buddy jack long contested threes would have been better. Lets hope we see a much different player than last night next year or later this year if Frankie gets into foul trouble. But hes so bad right now I'd see if Howard Washington is willing to burn the red shirt. It was ugly and he played scared.

VT got away with a ton of fouls while we got called for playing clean D. It was . Honestly I said last night I am glad we don't play them again but today I kind of wish they were coming to the Dome so we could return the favor and likely beat them by 20.

Battle needs to teach Carey how to finish on the fast break. The contrast is insane. Battle sneaks his way through 3 defenders, guarding the ball, and using great body control. Carey messes up a 3 on 1 and gets blocked with the ball at his waist.

We will struggle against any team that applies ball pressure on our guards. That's from having an entire team of combo and shooting guards with suspect handles. Seems to be the plan in our recruiting for a while now.

The more egregiously sloppy Jalen is, the more he'll likely improve on that. I welcome a "playgroundesque" guard again, in the mold of Pearl or Sherm (not saying Jalen is on that level). But even Sherm started out messy as a Freshman, and got yanked plenty. That playground-style guard takes longer to discipline and tighten up, of course.

Still would prefer a Jason Hart-type at the point; especially over the usual 6-foot-5 swingman variety.
Not according to my memory. The General did not get many Frosh minutes and when he did, he was good. In addition, he was known for playing great D against the Pearl in practices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom