Zero | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Zero

I'm starting to think it's mechanics with Cooney. When he shoots 3s, how often does he lineup to the basket, follow through with both hands, go up vertical? It's usually a one hand off balance shot where his body goes way past vertical...

I think it's a combination of both -- when he even sees a glimpse of an opening at the 3 line he looks to shoot no matter what position he is in and often isn't quite balanced. It's almost like he knows the pressure is on him to "shoot" and "keep shooting". The problem is he can't get himself open and is forcing, which appears to all be getting to him. A completely vicious cycle. Hard to believe this is basically his 4th year with the program.

Billy was an absolute beast. No matter what sport people always get too carried away with the new recruits. Just like people started to get on Ennis at the end of last season, saying we will be better off with Joseph cause he's a better scorer.

Agreed. Billy was consensus 1a or 1b with Mourning out of high school. Roberson was nowhere near where Billy was at coming out of high school-- probably top 50 but not in the same universe as Billy. But we as Cuse fans tend to hype up our recruits.

It could happen for him being in such a rush to get his shot off. Ever since he started showing up on scouting reports he has been smothered. When he does find himself open he's in such a rush to get it off his mechanics go haywire. I'd say it's a combination of both.
I really think that is it right there. He feels he only has a split second to get an open shot off and he rushes it. That is why he needs to start using the shot fake and then either take the 3 under control when the guy blows by or put it on the floor and go to the basket.

Agreed. Billy was consensus 1a or 1b with Mourning out of high school. Roberson was nowhere near where Billy was at coming out of high school-- probably top 50 but not in the same universe as Billy. But we as Cuse fans tend to hype up our recruits.

Completely agree, Billy was on the cover of SI's college basketball preview issue before even playing for the Orangemen. I read about him draining threes outdoors in a 30 mile per hour wind and can't remember being that excited over a recruit at any other time. Whomever made those comparisons was doing Roberson just as much a disservice as Billy by placing those kind of expectations on him.

1130_large.jpg

Completely agree, Billy was on the cover of SI's college basketball preview issue before even playing for the Orangemen. I read about him draining threes outdoors in a 30 mile per hour wind and can't remember being that excited over a recruit at any other time. Whomever made those comparisons was doing Roberson just as much a disservice as Billy by placing those kind of expectations on him.

1130_large.jpg

UGH - that 1989 and 1990 (Kenny A!!! Why!?) team should have/could have!!! Even that 1991 team, but I don't want to touch that one for obvious reasons.

Tony DeFranco said:
Please stop - Richardson looks like a pro type of guard - Cooney is a 3 star recruit that is a playing like a walk on

Everyone's favorite player is next years recruit. If you think Richardson starts over Cooney, you'd be ignoring 37 years of history.

I think Richardson if he did start would be at the 3. If CM leaves Roberson would slide to the 4

Jamesvillecuse said:
I think Richardson if he did start would be at the 3. If CM leaves Roberson would slide to the 4

That's been my prediction.

I agree, that could happen, but God would that be trouble in ACC play. An undersized power forward at the 4 and a shooting guard at the 3.

According to ESPN's stats, after last night's 0 for, we are 2nd from the bottom in 3pt%. Only Houston Baptist makes the 3 at a lower percentage. At least BC is right there with us.

Houston Baptist is playing right now and are 1-3 from 3pt land. We may end up at the bottom.

Mich made 14 more 3s in last game than us, 42 pts...
......nothing but a thing

Gotta agree with the comments from the players in that they will start to fall. The amount of in and outs is worth a good 8 pct pts this yr alone. Who knows maybe we find the bottom of the net at michigan.. shots are going to be there given how dominant rak and cmac have been.

According to ESPN's stats, after last night's 0 for, we are 2nd from the bottom in 3pt%. Only Houston Baptist makes the 3 at a lower percentage. At least BC is right there with us.

Houston Baptist hit a few threes last night, meaning...
image.jpg

Shooting woes can't be put on the coach. It is not rocket science, it comes down to execution and talent. I remember reading how Hopkins worked 1 on 1 daily with Cooney his entire redshirt year. Let's be patient and hope that Cooney as well as the other shooters come out of this funk. There aren't many options to turn to that haven't already been given lots of opportunity and will no doubt be given many chances moving forward.

Boston College just finished playing Marist tonight, meaning they have now played the same number of games as us (6). They shot 8-20 from 3, which pushes their 3-point FG percentage to 23.1%. We now have sole possession of that coveted #351 ranking. Ugh.

I really think that is it right there. He feels he only has a split second to get an open shot off and he rushes it. That is why he needs to start using the shot fake and then either take the 3 under control when the guy blows by or put it on the floor and go to the basket.

Absolutely. I think you guys are spot on. The space is just not there for him to be comfortable. I think he is rushing as well. I would think Syracuse can eventually (hope) get him better looks but this has been a problem for quite some time now which is alarming. Those stupid curls where he is going to be off balanced anyways and hounded are perfect opportunities for him to fake and drive. He needs to do this more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom