zone The game has passed JB by | Syracusefan.com

zone The game has passed JB by

He doesn't know anything about offense either. And to finish it off, let's not take 5th year guys anymore.

To be fair, Virginia's lack of athleticism had as much to do with the effectiveness of the zone as anything. They clearly lack speed off the dribble, which is what hurts the zone more than anything. They also don't have bigs that athletically play above the rim. There were very few lobs for dunks, which we've seen hurt us in other games.

That said, don't forget that the same Coach Boeheim and his team that won today still lost those games earlier in the season. They're likely to win and lose more games this season. Hyperbole either way is silliness.

Someone will inevitably gripe about the Robey jab in the presser.

To be fair, Virginia's lack of athleticism had as much to do with the effectiveness of the zone as anything. They clearly lack speed off the dribble, which is what hurts the zone more than anything. They also don't have bigs that athletically play above the rim. There were very few lobs for dunks, which we've seen hurt us in other games.

That said, don't forget that the same Coach Boeheim and his team that won today still lost those games earlier in the season. They're likely to win and lose more games this season. Hyperbole either way is silliness.
seh6p.gif

Did you see a bunch of lobs for dunks? I didn't.

Did you see a bunch of dribble drives that created havoc against the zone? I didn't.

Did you see elite college athletes on Virginia? I certainly didn't.

I saw a slow-footed point guard, a big named Salt who couldn't jump, and two freshmen that looked like good shooters, but physically unable to drive the ball.

Sorry to bust your pre-determined narrative with concrete examples, though. :rolleyes:

Stop. When they were losing, there were no shortage of people saying the things I posted. Of course we will lose more games (and win more as well) this season. The point is and was that the guy knows how to coach and win.

Did you see a bunch of dribble drives that created havoc against the zone? I didn't.

I saw a slow-footed point guard, a big named Salt who couldn't jump, and two freshmen that looked like good shooters, but physically unable to drive the ball.

Sorry to bust your pre-determined narrative with concrete examples, though. :rolleyes:
LOL yeah, they suck

Stop. When they were losing, there were no shortage of people saying the things I posted. Of course we will lose more games (and win more as well) this season. The point is and was that the guy knows how to coach and win.

My point is that questioning his ability to coach and win is hyperbole--we have 40 years of proof that he can. Likewise, your smug response to those people in this thread is equally silly.

My point is that questioning his coaching ability to coach and win is hyperbole--we have 40 years of proof that he can. Likewise, your smug response to those people in this thread is equally silly.
Gee, if I cared in any way what you thought, I might care. but alas, I don't. And the smug part is all yours. I was having a bit of fun on a day that we beat a top 10 team. One that I learned has no athletic ability but a top 10 team nonetheless. Florida St is another team with no athletic ability I guess.

Cant really argue w that ! But also worth noting Shyock is a pretty good athlete and skilled but we shut him down. He was lost against the zone imo and he was the guy i was most worried about before the game. Clearly not their best player but still a guy who could really hurt us imo

um UVA is one of the most efficient offensive teams in the country - look what they did at L'vlle, at Cal, etc... who the cares about their athleticism? Fl St is athletic as hell and JB's zone dispatched of them, too

Gee, if I cared in any way what you thought, I might care. but alas, I don't. And the smug part is all yours. I was having a bit of fun on a day that we beat a top 10 team. One that I learned has no athletic ability but a top 10 team nonetheless. Florida St is another team with no athletic ability I guess.
Imo fla st and uva are two legit top 15 teams, BUT with almost opposite styles of play...and we adjusted and beat both of them! Not easy to do! Would love to see us knock off a top 15 team on the road now...

"Everyone spread out and whoever has the ball go score."

If only this board had that kind of basketball IQ.
You have been doing the wrong job all of your life. Coaching must be easy and it must be easy to make a million a year doing it.

Why start the thread if not to provoke those that you clearly aimed this thread at?

I would be even worse at press conferences than JB.

Definitely the only thing stopping me from being the GOAT.

um UVA is one of the most efficient offensive teams in the country - look what they did at L'vlle, at Cal, etc... who the cares about their athleticism? Fl St is athletic as hell and JB's zone dispatched of them, too
That doesn't fit the narrative. And stop being positive. No need for that here.

Cant really argue w that ! But also worth noting Shyock is a pretty good athlete and skilled but we shut him down. He was lost against the zone imo and he was the guy i was most worried about before the game. Clearly not their best player but still a guy who could really hurt us imo

This is a fair point. Well said. :)

Efficient isn't athletic. Teams that can't dribble penetrate a zone nor lob over it will struggle if they aren't on fire from three. Coach Beoheim himself talks about this in his 2-3 Zone DVD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom