19th in CFP | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

19th in CFP

So if SU goes 4-0 in the last 4 games, we have a good shot at being in the playoffs? Or nah?
There would have to be a lot of chaos ahead of us to have a shot with two losses. Even with chaos, we would have to win the conference championship game to strengthen our case, and we don't have a chance to play in that. Alabama would probably be the only team that would get enough respect with two losses.

We're a different team now than we were just a few weeks ago. Team chemistry is better than ever and we are healthy. I don't buy into the notion that someone has to put a scare in Clemson. We are a good two touchdowns better than anyone else we play this year.

You guys look night and day compared to how you played early in the year. Not just against us, but you were really mediocre against A&M. There's a big gap between Alabama and you, but I think there's an equally large gap between Clemson and whoever is 3rd.

i think 10-2 and ending 6-8 is probably close but that also means you are only like NW beating Mich and 1 other crazy thing from being top 4 too.

I think when the A game offense shows up we are a tough out. Just dont know that we have more than a C game Defense.

The D played pretty well against Clemson and FSU. Look at Clemson's recent scores: 63, 41, 59 in the weeks after our game.

i think 10-2 and ending 6-8 is probably close but that also means you are only like NW beating Mich and 1 other crazy thing from being top 4 too.

I think when the A game offense shows up we are a tough out. Just dont know that we have more than a C game Defense.

Stops, not yards, are what are important with the way they want to play ball.

ONLY issue with the defense are busts.

We got no chance at the playoffs at 10-2.
We gotta be realistic here.
Just getting to a NY6*(for Kaiser) should be the goal.
Establishing credibility should be the goal.
The committee clearly recognized the Clemson game wasn’t a fluke and cut us slack for losing a tough OT game where there was an hour lighting delay and the opponent hit 2 50+ FGs.

There would have to be a lot of chaos ahead of us to have a shot with two losses. Even with chaos, we would have to win the conference championship game to strengthen our case, and we don't have a chance to play in that. Alabama would probably be the only team that would get enough respect with two losses.

well if Clemson loses their last 3 conference games we could sneak in

clemson could lose to BC get upset by USC or lose to UVA. we are pie in the sky talking so why not dream

but if you listen to the pundits on the radio they all agree pretty likely pac12 and b12 no one can run the table but OK.

if we win out anything is possible even if unlikely. I got to see a win this week though

clemson could lose to BC get upset by USC or lose to UVA. we are pie in the sky talking so why not dream

but if you listen to the pundits on the radio they all agree pretty likely pac12 and b12 no one can run the table but OK.

if we win out anything is possible even if unlikely. I got to see a win this week though
Syracuse isn’t getting in the CFB playoffs with 2 losses unless Clemson loses to Louisville, BC and Duke or BC and Duke and we won out and got to the ACC title game.

We need a conference title to have any wish.
Clemson losing to BC is a must so we could beat BC and if Clemson had a 2nd ACC loss and SU, BC, Clemson had 2 losses and we got the tiebreaker.
I don’t want to waste time on this though I just want to win out and get to the Peach or Fiesta Bowl.

That part is huge. We could get the Peach Bowl if we win 3 out of 4.

Unfortunately, the ACC isn't guaranteed any teams in NY6 bowls this year due to the Orange being a semi-final game. Only way we even have a shot at the Peach is to win out and have wins over a one-loss ND and a two loss NC State (both of whom should be ranked in the Top 15 if that is the case) AND everything falls just right in terms of who wins the B1G. Can't have Iowa/Wisc pull off the upset and go to the Rose Bowl over the loser of OSU/Michigan and have to have the winner of the East win the B1G CG and that winner make the CFP sending the loser to the Rose. We have an extremely narrow pathway to the Peach. But it is possible.

Cheers,
Neil

Cuse fans...

Popped over to give y’all a tip of the hat for earning your ranking in the initial college football playoff announcement. I fully expect y’all to climb and represent the ACC and your school well come bowl season. I wish you luck in locking Dino into a long term contract. Will be tracking how the success helps your recruiting. Best of luck with your season!

Tiger fan...
Not only are you hard to beat... you are also hard to hate.

Sickening

I can’t wait to see Bama face you guys, the last time you had a great passer they didn’t fare too well... and that was without ETN.

Good luck to your boys! (And thanks!)

Congrats to the Cuse for bouncing back after the Pitt game!! Now SU has a great opportunity to win in Winston Salem where two seasons ago a wind storm got in the way. This season Wake's only win against a P5 school is the W against Louisville last week. Wake recently lost to Florida State 38-17. Wake's D is currently ranked #126 in yards per game and #117 in points per game.

This is SU's sixth season in the ACC and finally SU has played against every ACC football team. SU plays 2 teams from the Coastal per season: Pitt and one other team. This means that SU won't see UNC again for another 6 seasons (assuming the sequence remains the same). Are SU and UNC (Virginia, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech) really in the same football conference? SU plays each of these teams once every 6 seasons. There are kids who will spend 4 years at SU and when they graduate there will be 2 ACC teams that they never played against unless they meet in the conference championship game.

The SEC runs the same scheduling system. In the SEC teams like Florida, Georgia and South Carolina play Alabama once every 6 seasons. It looks like Tennessee is paired with Alabama, so they play Bama every season. Is that fair to UT? Is Florida really in the same football conference as Alabama? Should South Carolina football fans be chanting "SEC.." when they play Bama once every 6 years, Auburn once every 6 years, LSU once every 6 years?

Last night Rece Davis was downright giddy about the ACC having 4 teams in the current Top 25. Virginia at 6-2 is somewhat of a head scratcher with losses to NC State and Indiana. Virginia is the only 2 loss team in the Coastal where every other team has at least 3 losses. Did the AP and the committee stretch just a bit to have at least one team from the Coastal in the Top 25? And then of course NC State remaining ranked at 5-2 after two consecutive losses. NC State with it's game against West Virginia having been cancelled due to a horrible hurricane situation will play just 11 games total this season and will not play a game out of conference against a P5 school. I think there may be better choices to rank in the Top 25 than NC State. Anyway, good ole' Rece was so excited about the 4 ACC teams that he asked Dabo to comment on it, and Dabo wisely dodged that factoid and the question it was wrapped in.

Go Cuse!!

Unfortunately, the ACC isn't guaranteed any teams in NY6 bowls this year due to the Orange being a semi-final game. Only way we even have a shot at the Peach is to win out and have wins over a one-loss ND and a two loss NC State (both of whom should be ranked in the Top 15 if that is the case) AND everything falls just right in terms of who wins the B1G. Can't have Iowa/Wisc pull off the upset and go to the Rose Bowl over the loser of OSU/Michigan and have to have the winner of the East win the B1G CG and that winner make the CFP sending the loser to the Rose. We have an extremely narrow pathway to the Peach. But it is possible.

Cheers,
Neil

If we win out, we have a shot at the playoff, not just the Peach Bowl.
Other teams are going to lose, especially in conference championship games.
We are going to avoid that extra loss, and will look better, comparitively speaking.

Cheers,
Neil

P5 team is guaranteed a NY6 bowl bid if finished in top 8 final playoff ranking. G5 team is guaranteed a NY6 bowl bid if finished in top 12 final playoff ranking.

We are going to avoid that extra loss, and will look better, comparitively speaking.
We have zero shot at a playoff spot with 2 losses. I believe the odds on ESPN are less than 1%. No team has ever made it with two losses, heck... most 1 loss teams don't make it. To think the committee would allow Syracuse in with 2 losses is a pretty big stretch.

We got no chance at the playoffs at 10-2.
We gotta be realistic here.
Just getting to a NY6*(for Kaiser) should be the goal.
Establishing credibility should be the goal.
The committee clearly recognized the Clemson game wasn’t a fluke and cut us slack for losing a tough OT game where there was an hour lighting delay and the opponent hit 2 50+ FGs.

If we're 10-2 with a win against #3 ND and a 4 point loss AT Clemson, the computer is going to look very favorably upon us. That's why we are the #2 ACC team right now.

Let's take a closer look. I think most everybody agrees that Alabama and Clemson are locks for the final four teams.

Notre Dame is next, and we play them head to head. If we win that game, how does ND get into the playoff ahead of us?

Although LSU is number 4, they cannot make the SEC title game, and they still have a road game at #25 Texas A&M, which they could certainly lose.

Next up is Michigan. They still have to play #14 Penn State on the road, plus #8 Ohio State and then still win the Big Ten title game against Northwestern to make the Playoff. That's a tall order. They already lost to ND. I think they could easily lose another, and then they would be a 2 loss team, too. If we have a head-to-head win vs. ND and they lost to ND and we both have 2 losses, who gets in?

Georgia is #6, but they are going to lose to Alabama in the SEC title game, and thus will have two losses, too. Their other loss is by 20 to LSU. The computer isn't going to help them there, but they would still probably get in before us.

Oklahoma is ahead of us, but they still have to play one-loss WVU. So one of them will be a 2 loss team, too. Unless they get upset by Okie State or Kansas, both long shots, Oklahoma will probably be in if they beat West Virginia.

After that, you're looking at teams like Central Florida, Kentucky and Washington State. Everybody else already has at least 2 losses with four weeks plus a conference championship game left to play.

I don't think it's legit to say we have absolutely no chance at the playoff. Because so many good teams are yet to play each other above us in the rankings, if we win out, we are going to be in the Top 10, and might have a shot.

Love the spirit.

And this is the CRAZY talk thread, but I didn't realize it was going to get THAT crazy. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Love the spirit.

And this is the CRAZY talk thread, but I didn't realize it was going to get THAT crazy. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

People are getting sucked back into the vortex that preceded the Pitt game.

But as fans it's ok. Why not dream.

Players can't get caught in that same vortex. Hopefully the Pitt and UNC games are still fresh in their heads. Our team should be thinking one thing and one thing only, they need to play really well to beat Wake.

We wouldn't have a shot at the playoff unless we played in and won the ACC championship. That's not possible unless Clemson loses 3 games.

People are getting sucked back into the vortex that preceded the Pitt game.

But as fans it's ok. Why not dream.

Players can't get caught in that same vortex. Hopefully the Pitt and UNC games are still fresh in their heads. Our team should be thinking one thing and one thing only, they need to play really well to beat Wake.

This is the most fun this board has had for football. Probably more fun than whatever existed in the 90's because back then there's not way the success was appreciated. I'm going to dare to dream.

But the team better not be as caught up in this as we are. I think Dino's approach last year after Clemson, letting the team enjoy the win, was great; but they have a legit chance at a 10 win season if they play like they can. I really hope they don't get ahead of themselves.

Congrats to the Cuse for bouncing back after the Pitt game!! Now SU has a great opportunity to win in Winston Salem where two seasons ago a wind storm got in the way. This season Wake's only win against a P5 school is the W against Louisville last week. Wake recently lost to Florida State 38-17. Wake's D is currently ranked #126 in yards per game and #117 in points per game.

This is SU's sixth season in the ACC and finally SU has played against every ACC football team. SU plays 2 teams from the Coastal per season: Pitt and one other team. This means that SU won't see UNC again for another 6 seasons (assuming the sequence remains the same). Are SU and UNC (Virginia, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech) really in the same football conference? SU plays each of these teams once every 6 seasons. There are kids who will spend 4 years at SU and when they graduate there will be 2 ACC teams that they never played against unless they meet in the conference championship game.

The SEC runs the same scheduling system. In the SEC teams like Florida, Georgia and South Carolina play Alabama once every 6 seasons. It looks like Tennessee is paired with Alabama, so they play Bama every season. Is that fair to UT? Is Florida really in the same football conference as Alabama? Should South Carolina football fans be chanting "SEC.." when they play Bama once every 6 years, Auburn once every 6 years, LSU once every 6 years?

Last night Rece Davis was downright giddy about the ACC having 4 teams in the current Top 25. Virginia at 6-2 is somewhat of a head scratcher with losses to NC State and Indiana. Virginia is the only 2 loss team in the Coastal where every other team has at least 3 losses. Did the AP and the committee stretch just a bit to have at least one team from the Coastal in the Top 25? And then of course NC State remaining ranked at 5-2 after two consecutive losses. NC State with it's game against West Virginia having been cancelled due to a horrible hurricane situation will play just 11 games total this season and will not play a game out of conference against a P5 school. I think there may be better choices to rank in the Top 25 than NC State. Anyway, good ole' Rece was so excited about the 4 ACC teams that he asked Dabo to comment on it, and Dabo wisely dodged that factoid and the question it was wrapped in.

Go Cuse!!
It isn't fair to Tennessee but they wouldn't have it any other way. Alabama is too traditional a rival for them. Maybe someday we'll have that.

We wouldn't have a shot at the playoff unless we played in and won the ACC championship. That's not possible unless Clemson loses 3 games.

Unless it's a rule of the playoffs, which I don't think it is because Notre Dame doesn't play in a conference championship game, I don't know how you can say that.

LSU might not play in the SEC championship game if they lose this week to Alabama, but I'm pretty sure they could still qualify, according to the analysis I just read on Sports Illustrated.

I'm not saying we have as good a shot as LSU, but if we beat #3 Notre Dame and win out, I think we'd be in the ball park - certainly more than a 0% chance.

If we're 10-2 with a win against #3 ND and a 4 point loss AT Clemson, the computer is going to look very favorably upon us. That's why we are the #2 ACC team right now.

Let's take a closer look. I think most everybody agrees that Alabama and Clemson are locks for the final four teams.

Notre Dame is next, and we play them head to head. If we win that game, how does ND get into the playoff ahead of us?

Although LSU is number 4, they cannot make the SEC title game, and they still have a road game at #25 Texas A&M, which they could certainly lose.

Next up is Michigan. They still have to play #14 Penn State on the road, plus #8 Ohio State and then still win the Big Ten title game against Northwestern to make the Playoff. That's a tall order. They already lost to ND. I think they could easily lose another, and then they would be a 2 loss team, too. If we have a head-to-head win vs. ND and they lost to ND and we both have 2 losses, who gets in?

Georgia is #6, but they are going to lose to Alabama in the SEC title game, and thus will have two losses, too. Their other loss is by 20 to LSU. The computer isn't going to help them there, but they would still probably get in before us.

Oklahoma is ahead of us, but they still have to play one-loss WVU. So one of them will be a 2 loss team, too. Unless they get upset by Okie State or Kansas, both long shots, Oklahoma will probably be in if they beat West Virginia.

After that, you're looking at teams like Central Florida, Kentucky and Washington State. Everybody else already has at least 2 losses with four weeks plus a conference championship game left to play.

I don't think it's legit to say we have absolutely no chance at the playoff. Because so many good teams are yet to play each other above us in the rankings, if we win out, we are going to be in the Top 10, and might have a shot.
Yes. If teams 3-18 all lose once or twice, and we go undefeated we're in. It's just asking an awfully lot to go right.
ESPN's odds at less than 1% seem about right.

Unless it's a rule of the playoffs, which I don't think it is because Notre Dame doesn't play in a conference championship game, I don't know how you can say that.

LSU might not play in the SEC championship game if they lose this week to Alabama, but I'm pretty sure they could still qualify, according to the analysis I just read on Sports Illustrated.

I'm not saying we have as good a shot as LSU, but if we beat #3 Notre Dame and win out, I think we'd be in the ball park - certainly more than a 0% chance.
The reason is that our resume wouldn't be strong enough without it. When you have a second loss, you have to make up for that in the committee's eyes. If our only loss was a close one to an undefeated Clemson at the end of the year we would have a strong argument.

after the next 2 weeks there will only be about three 1 loss teams left and perhaps less than that. after clemson/ala everyone may well have 2 losses pretty soon and while LSU has the best win we have a small chance to have the best win after 3 more weeks.. but its all Moot if we dont get the job done this week.

i hope we win and LSU loses by 30.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom