2015 Commits in the ACC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2015 Commits in the ACC

I would think with technology today and social media that logistics would be easier.

What are these "logistical problems" that everyone keeps talking about?

Over the years Syracuse has been drifting farther and farther north.

Pasqualoni used to have 50-60 kids in for junior days. Heck, Coach P and Syracuse hosted a NIKE combine one year.
Which years are you talking about?

You can see where I'm going with this.

I would think with technology today and social media that logistics would be easier.

What are these "logistical problems" that everyone keeps talking about?
I'm wondering the same.

i counted 10? please tell me i know how to count?

Fine. Ten and of the ten four committed after visiting for the Spring Game AJ, KJ, Colton and Zaire. There is no guarantee that just because you increase the number of visitors you are going to increase the number who commit or stay committed. Plus I like the quality of the four that committed. There is a lot to be said about quality over quantity.

Which years are you talking about?

You can see where I'm going with this.

Every year. Do I have anything to prove it, no I don't, because there was no coverage in the nineties. You'll have to take my word for it that Pasqualoni had junior days every winter and would host dozens of kids.

Regarding the Nike combine. You can look that one up. Western NY kid Jahu Caulcrick absolutely blew up with outrageous numbers that day and ended up signing with Michigan state over Syracuse.

Fine. Ten and of the ten four committed after visiting for the Spring Game AJ, KJ, Colton and Zaire. There is no guarantee that just because you increase the number of visitors you are going to increase the number who commit or stay committed. Plus I like the quality of the four that committed. There is a lot to be said about quality over quantity.
If your overall program is not a "wow" draw, and the physical aspects of the program aren't going to "wow" and sell themselves, then you are relying entirely on the coaches' personal interactions to sell the program. Better done in a smaller group of interested prospects than in a big, impersonal group.

If your overall program is not a "wow" draw, and the physical aspects of the program aren't going to "wow" and sell themselves, then you are relying entirely on the coaches' personal interactions to sell the program. Better done in a smaller group of interested prospects than in a big, impersonal group.

I think people have the wrong interpretation of what a Jr Day is. Most schools, especially the ones that can draw whoever they want, it is used as an introduction to your program. Kind of your first up close and personal look. It's not used as an official visit where those are far more personal and in depth. Junior Days are a lot of the time the kids first visit on campus. You usually just have a tour of the facilities and what not. Most of the time you don't even get to visiting the academic side, which is done on a more personal level. That type of stuff is done later on in the process.

I really think people have the wrong understanding of the concept

I think people have the wrong interpretation of what a Jr Day is. Most schools, especially the ones that can draw whoever they want, it is used as an introduction to your program. I kind of first up close and personal work. It's not used as an official visit where those are far more personal and in depth. Junior Days are a lot of the time the kids first visit on campus. You usually just have a tour of the facilities and what not. Most of the time you don't even get to visiting the academic side, which is done on a more personal level. That type of stuff is done later on in the process.

If that is what a junior day really is, then I fully understand the staff not wanting to have one so far this year. Things might be different next year if the IPF is done. I would still wait until the snow was gone, though.

But even then, I think a better first introduction is through either a visit where the staff can craft the message carefully and steer the perception of the program - it's the first impression! - or through attending a camp. Or spring practices.

I think people have the wrong interpretation of what a Jr Day is. Most schools, especially the ones that can draw whoever they want, it is used as an introduction to your program. Kind of your first up close and personal look. It's not used as an official visit where those are far more personal and in depth. Junior Days are a lot of the time the kids first visit on campus. You usually just have a tour of the facilities and what not. Most of the time you don't even get to visiting the academic side, which is done on a more personal level. That type of stuff is done later on in the process.

No. I never assumed anything about the academic side. Simply that with a small group the coaches could spend more individual time with the prospects... like last year at the
Spring Game.

spring game 2013.jpg

Sometimes schools don't do this until OVs.

Well he certainly looks the part! A few years in the S&C for him and he could be a monster.

Well he certainly looks the part! A few years in the S&C for him and he could be a monster.

right around NSD Moskal already said that he was up to 225lbs. kid is a beast and imo is a sleeper pick to win the starting MIKE spot this year. Staff loves him, and very worst should be a 3 year starter.

Last edited:
Changed how so? My point is that Syracuse University has never, ever been a school that has locked up kids early in the cycle. The cycle does begin a few months earlier now days, but what matters is that the basic premise has not been our bread and butter. Would I like to have half the class wrapped up by June? Absolutely unequivocally yes. Is that realistic for SU? No.

Why? Because we are not smack dab in the middle of a fertile football recruiting ground and we aren't a major land grant university. We don't have local D1 caliber kids coming through the school weekly like the Miami's, Texas's, even Rutgers. Speaking of Rutgers, how did their junior day and getting all those early commits work out for them last year?

More importantly, why did RU's class implode? I would argue that they didn't have the personal connection with the kids that they should have had. They sold the kids the B10, their facilities, and their new shiny helmets. They didn't sell themselves. GMcD is a fantastic recruiter because of his ability to connect with kids and to forge relationships.

This staff really is extremely focused on recruiting. They aren't shooting a bazooka out there to try in bring in everyone and anyone to campus. They'd rather bring in a handful of kids that have reciprocated interest on a select weekend and spend some time with them and their family. I for one, don't think that's a bad strategy given our inherent limitations and challenges.

I was just reading an interview with Kaleb Kim a top rated recruit we had just offered from Georgia. When asked how he felt about the offer this was his quote ..."I'm definitely thankful for it, but it's pretty late in the process, so i'm not sure if I will be able to make a visit." Then he was asked if he planned to visit, which he said "It's a possibility, but it would be a difficult trip to make with all the schools I have narrowed down to."

Now I am sure this isn't the only recruit who would have the same response. These top kids we have just shot out offers to have had offers , and have been recruited by top schools since their Freshman and Sophmore seasons. Now some of us, including the staff, may not feel we need to accelerate our evaluation process, but the kids that they are recruiting have done so. I get that we are doing things our way, and have never been a school that locked up kids early, but if we ever want to have a shot at some of these kids it might help out if we give ourselves a fighting chance.

Last edited:
I was just reading an interview with Kaleb Kim a top rated recruit we had just offered from Georgia. When asked how he felt about the offer this was his quote ..."I'm definitely thankful for it, but it's pretty late in the process, so i'm not sure if I will be able to make a visit." Then he was asked if he planned to visit, which he said "It's a possibility, but it would be a difficult trip to make with all the schools I have narrowed down to."

Now I am sure this isn't the only recruit who would have the same response. These top kids we have just shot out offers to have had offers , and have been recruited by top schools since their Freshman and Sophmore seasons. Now some of us, including the staff, may not feel we need to accelerate our evaluation process, but the kids that they are recruiting have done so. I get that we are doing things our way, and have never been a school that locked up kids early, but if we ever want to have a shot at some of these kids it might help out if we give ourselves a fighting chance.

Listen. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. We are all diehard Syracuse fans here. But do you really think Syracuse University is the only school to offer one kid later in the game? Do you think Miami wishes they had offered Custis earlier in the cycle? Sure. But that's they way things work with regards to recruiting. I'm sure there is a post on a Texas message board somewhere bitching about not getting in on a kid early enough. It happens to every program.

You also have to remember that this staff has been together for one year! It would have been impossible to offer kids 2 or 3 years ago. These relationships are going to have to take some time to nurture and develop. It wouldn't surprise me to see the staff start offering kids a bit earlier if they are able to stay together for a while. We don't have that luxury right now.

No doubt that the recruiting calendar is starting up earlier and earlier and schools will have to be on top of some of these recruits by the beg. of their junior year to stand a chance. The intro of an early signing period will only accelerate the recruiting process. But getting in late with a kid from GA doesn't upset me as much as getting in late with someone from our own backyard. It's the top Northeast kids that we need to get the jump on. If we don't, then BC, PSU, Pitt, etc. will. Building those relationships early will also protect us some from getting pickpocketed late in the agem by the national programs. Again, this is why a junior day or two in Jan. and Feb. that coincides with a big bball game is vital to recruiting the 6-hour radius going forward.

If we're contacting the local kids for the first time at the same time that say Iowa or Minnesota or Georgia Tech is, then we've already been beaten to the punch by the other local teams and secondly lost one of the advantages that proximity affords us. Now getting into the mix late might not matter in all cases, but why take that chance?

Last edited:
No doubt that the recruiting calendar is starting up earlier and earlier and schools will have to be on top of some of these recruits by the beg. of their junior year to stand a chance. The intro of an early signing period will only accelerate the recruiting process. But getting in late with a kid from GA doesn't upset me as much as getting in late with someone from our own backyard. It's the top Northeast kids that we need to get the jump on. If we don't, then BC, PSU, Pitt, etc. will. Building those relationships early will also protect us some from getting pickpocketed late in the agem by the national programs. Again, this is why a junior day or two in Jan. and Feb. that coincides with a big bball game is vital to recruiting the 6-hour radius going forward.

If we're contacting the local kids for the first time at the same time that say Iowa or Minnesota or Georgia Tech is, then we've already been beaten to the punch by the other local teams and secondly lost one of the advantages that proximity affords us. Now getting into the mix late might not matter in all cases, but why take that chance?

I didn't want this to be an example of any particular recruit, this one just happened to be from Georgia. I just wanted to show that this is how it goes for almost any top prospect. Go down the line and they all have 20+ offers by the beginning of their Jr year.

It will be interesting to see what they do going forward, but even in the most recent article that came out White himself had said that they go slower here.

Saw this article where RU had 50 kids on campus today for their last of 3 unofficial visitor weekends http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...official_visitors_weekend_recap_march_29.html
Also saw BC had 4 dozen recruits on campus Monday for their Spring practice. I just don't understand the interest in these 2 programs where they can consistently draw a huge number of kids, but yet we have yet to have 1 sole visitor?

Saw this article where RU had 50 kids on campus today for their last of 3 unofficial visitor weekends http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...official_visitors_weekend_recap_march_29.html
Also saw BC had 4 dozen recruits on campus Monday for their Spring practice. I just don't understand the interest in these 2 programs where they can consistently draw a huge number of kids, but yet we have yet to have 1 sole visitor?
Are they truly recruits or mostly high school kids just trying to learn and get better? I believe most of these camps are open by paying a fee to attend.

Are they truly recruits or mostly high school kids just trying to learn and get better? I believe most of these camps are open by paying a fee to attend.

Read the article.

These are unofficial visits, not camps.

Getting kids and their parents on campus for a visit must be a good thing. Every college that my two kids applied to promotes it and was open to visitation. One of my kids who was "recruited" to run track at D3 and some mid-level D1 schools, many of whom had a specific recruiting weekend or two for them to visit, take a tour, speak to coach, eat lunch, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom