2015 Commits in the ACC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2015 Commits in the ACC

Location? BC isn't 4 hours away from Boston. That's a huge sell on kids to go there. You can hop on the T and go wherever you'd like there. Kids can't take the subway down into Manhattan.

i should have better defined location. meant it as far as not having an abundance of local prospects

Drama much? My word. That wasn't even close to a talking down -- just ask my kids.

Do people really think this staff forgot how to recruit? Do you think Shafer and Bullough just decided to shay it and decided to drop blotter acid and watch Wizard of Oz on the weekend we were going to have junior day?

If we end up with 5 recruits in February 2015, and one of them needs to blow into a wheelchair to move around I'll be worried. Until then, freaking out on a message board and trying to read tea leaves as to the staff's decisions is an exercise in futility.

We have a lot of good recruiters on this staff and I trust them to get the job done.

All I ever said was that it was a lost opportunity but God forbid we challenge the coaches on anything. We get the usual suspects doing backflips to shout it down. Let's be honest here. We're talking about a fraternity that collectively has as much imagination and brain-power as the lobotomy ward of your local psychiatric hospital

I have a question for everyone. This isn't me trying to be a wise ass, I honestly want to know everyone's opinions.

From a perception standpoint how do you think we match up against Boston College. Again i'm using Boston College since they are more then likely the best chance of us developing a rivalry with over the years, and going into last season seemed to have been facing many of the same obstacles as we were; ie: location, facilities, stadium capacity, ability to fill stadium, down period.

IMO, BC is ahead in perception (especially with Addazio and the hype around Andre Williams this year) and location. I also believe they are currently ahead in facilities.

I think the IPF is the biggest factor towards developing a junior day not centered around the spring game.

I also think we as a fanbase overrate the effect of the basketball team towards football recruiting. Outside the truly special, mind-changing atmospheres like the Duke game, I don't think those crowds really truly sway a recruit one way or the other.

All I ever said was that it was a lost opportunity but God forbid we challenge the coaches on anything. We get the usual suspects doing backflips to shout it down. Let's be honest here. We're talking about a fraternity that collectively has as much imagination and brain-power as the lobotomy ward of your local psychiatric hospital
So are they having a "junior day" sometime this spring or not?

Occam's razor. If Shafer and McDonald haven't had a junior day yet - and if they don't this spring - then let's not assume that they are making a mistake, like George freaking McDonald doesn't know what he's doing. Seriously. How about we try to come up with a reason that makes sense?

Given the lack of information we have about everything that is going on in running the program, questioning the coaches' judgment is the wrong way to start the discussion. IMO of course.

But as far as I know, no one here can even answer the question of whether we are going to have a junior day or not. Do you think our AD and PR group would have even let us know?

So are they having a "junior day" sometime this spring or not?

Occam's razor. If Shafer and McDonald haven't had a junior day yet - and if they don't this spring - then let's not assume that they are making a mistake, like George freaking McDonald doesn't know what he's doing. Seriously. How about we try to come up with a reason that makes sense?

Given the lack of information we have about everything that is going on in running the program, questioning the coaches' judgment is the wrong way to start the discussion. IMO of course.

But as far as I know, no one here can even answer the question of whether we are going to have a junior day or not. Do you think our AD and PR group would have even let us know?

Come on. Be a little honest with yourself. Given the way that Skowt covers our recruiting now, given the efforts of people on this board to scour twitter, and given the eagle-eye scouts here at the bball games, do you think it is necessary for the AD/PR to formally let us know if they held one? There is zero indication that there has been a junior day scheduled.

No one said McDonald isn't a good recruiter but pay attention to where he is doing his recruiting. Junior days are largely for the prospects that can drive to our campus (6-hour radius). The fact that we haven't had a junior day could very well give you an idea of the work to be done with the local kids. In other contexts, they'd call this institution-building.

Drama much? My word. That wasn't even close to a talking down -- just ask my kids.

Do people really think this staff forgot how to recruit? Do you think Shafer and Bullough just decided to shay it and decided to drop blotter acid and watch Wizard of Oz on the weekend we were going to have junior day?

If we end up with 5 recruits in February 2015, and one of them needs to blow into a wheelchair to move around I'll be worried. Until then, freaking out on a message board and trying to read tea leaves as to the staff's decisions is an exercise in futility.

We have a lot of good recruiters on this staff and I trust them to get the job done.
While listening to Pink Floyd - "Dark Side of the Moon" in unison with the movie...

Reactions: CIL
Come on. Be a little honest with yourself. Given the way that Skowt covers our recruiting now, given the efforts of people on this board to scour twitter, and given the eagle-eye scouts here at the bball games, do you think it is necessary for the AD/PR to formally let us know if they held one? There is zero indication that there has been a junior day scheduled.

No one said McDonald isn't a good recruiter but pay attention to where he is doing his recruiting. Junior days are largely for the prospects that can drive to our campus (6-hour radius). The fact that we haven't had a junior day could very well give you an idea of the work to be done with the local kids. In other contexts, they'd call this institution-building.
I really don't care whether they have a junior day or not. If they don't think they need it, fine. I haven't thought much about it and tried to pick it apart, as there is simply too much I don't know.

Alabama has (reportedly) a ridiculous number of people doing the same thing Eric White does. 20+ if I recall. Doesn't it seem obvious that having 20 Eric Whites is better than 1? Then why aren't we doing it?

I also think we as a fanbase overrate the effect of the basketball team towards football recruiting. Outside the truly special, mind-changing atmospheres like the Duke game, I don't think those crowds really truly sway a recruit one way or the other.

I don't think anyone is saying that a basketball game is going to sway a recruit 1 way or the other. I do think offering a kid the option to witness a Syracuse-Duke type of match up would give the extra incentive to travel an extra hour or 2 to visit a school they were already considering.

Alabama has (reportedly) a ridiculous number of people doing the same thing Eric White does. 20+ if I recall. Doesn't it seem obvious that having 20 Eric Whites is better than 1? Then why aren't we doing it?

That's totally different point. That comes down to money, and Bama's coaching staff budget which dwarfs ours.

That's totally different point. That comes down to money, and Bama's coaching staff budget which dwarfs ours.
Do you know that for a fact?

And even if so, who is to say that budget is not the thing driving a lack of a junior day? Assuming that there is none, which has yet to be determined.

Do you know that for a fact?

And even if so, who is to say that budget is not the thing driving a lack of a junior day? Assuming that there is none, which has yet to be determined.

Do I know Bama's coaching budget dwarfs Syracuse's? Yes I do.

What kind of budget is there for a Jr Day? Kids pay their own way. What are the expenses?

Do I know Bama's coaching budget dwarfs Syracuse's? Yes I do.

What kind of budget is there for a Jr Day? Kids pay their own way. What are the expenses?
I don't know. I have no idea what support is needed from the staff, both coaching and administrative. I don't know what overhead costs there might be hosting a large group on campus. Where do they stay?

I have never looked into it, and again don't have any desire to do so. But it is just as easy for me to believe that there are budgetary factors affecting hosting an event on campus that very few of us know about, as it is to believe that our coaches are just plain being dumb.

I don't know. I have no idea what support is needed from the staff, both coaching and administrative. I don't know what overhead costs there might be hosting a large group on campus. Where do they stay?

I have never looked into it, and again don't have any desire to do so. But it is just as easy for me to believe that there are budgetary factors affecting hosting an event on campus that very few of us know about, as it is to believe that our coaches are just plain being dumb.

They stay at a hotel that the kids pay for. That's what an unofficial visit is...kids pay their way. We can't even feed them. There really isn't any cost other then maybe the cost of paper for printing their itinerary

People are making the argument that it costs too much for kids to come to Syracuse and New York doesn't produce enough talent to make it a worthwhile event.

Well here's a graph distribution of Div. I recruits by state done by www.footballstudyhall.com followed up by some research from myself.

recruiting-distribution.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Now look at all the states that produced the same or less talent than New York. How many of those states have major football programs, and how many have junior days.

Don't worry, I've compiled the school and junior day dates for you below.

Nebraska Junior Day January 22, 2014
Wisconsin Junior Day February 15, 2014
Kentucky Junior Day February 15, 2014
Louisville Junior Day February 15, 2014
Boston College Junior Day February 15, 2014
Minnesota Junior Day February 16, 2014
Connecticut Junior Day early April 2014
Iowa Junior Day March 1, 2014
Iowa State Junior Day March 8, 2014
West Virginia Junior Day February 22, 2014
Arkansas Junior Day March 1, 2014
Kansas Junior Day February 22, 2014
Kansas State Junior Day March 1, 2014

Really we are the only one of our peer schools from a state that produce the same or less talent that doesn't have a junior day- if we do have one I can find no record of it on the interwebz anywhere.

Come up with all the excuses you want, but why are we doing things different than EVERY other school in our peer group? Even is having a junior day (no date given other than early April).

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is saying that a basketball game is going to sway a recruit 1 way or the other. I do think offering a kid the option to witness a Syracuse-Duke type of match up would give the extra incentive to travel an extra hour or 2 to visit a school they were already considering. .

Then what? Logistically, trying to plan a junior day (getting hotels, eating at places able to handle a big group of people when they are already swamped and getting transportation once in Syracuse) just has so many issues around a massive event like that. It sounds like you would want around 65 kids there for that event right (not counting the kids from the current year on officials)?

Spring game is a much better time for the Junior Day at this stage. If we get a recruiting staff like a power, then it may be a different story.

Come up with all the excuses you want, but why are we doing things different than EVERY other school in our peer group? Even is having a junior day (no date given other than early April).

We are doing things differently. But your post, like many others, doesn't compare what we actually are doing vs. doing an early junior day.

My take away, based on your post, is that there is only merit in doing early junior days and nothing else, because that's what our peers do.

With our challenges in regards to recruiting, if all we are going to do is replicate what our peers do, then we are doomed.

People are making the argument that it costs too much for kids to come to Syracuse and New York doesn't produce enough talent to make it a worthwhile event.
Why do you think our program is doing things differently?

Then what? Logistically, trying to plan a junior day (getting hotels, eating at places able to handle a big group of people when they are already swamped and getting transportation once in Syracuse) just has so many issues around a massive event like that. It sounds like you would want around 65 kids there for that event right (not counting the kids from the current year on officials)?

Spring game is a much better time for the Junior Day at this stage. If we get a recruiting staff like a power, then it may be a different story.

65? I'd like 15-20.

And all of the things you listed above wee can't do anyways for unofficial visits. That's the best part about them the recruits are responsible for everything...food, lodging, etc

Why do you think our program is doing things differently?

It may be just my opinion but I don't believe the football program has the full financial support of the Athletics Department. Everything from bottom of the conference coaches' salaries and hiring a bunch of DIII assistant coaches, to practically having to hold bake sales to fund the IPF, and giving away our best non-conf games to an out of state stadium.

It's been widely discussed that Marrone was frustrated with the way things were being done in the AD. I don't see how things have really changed.

Last edited:
65? I'd like 15-20.

And all of the things you listed above wee can't do anyways for unofficial visits. That's the best part about them the recruits are responsible for everything...food, lodging, etc

You can block rooms, arrange meals etc. You just can't pay for anything. To tell recruits to come to a junior day and that is it, with no logistical assistance, is beyond weak and not done anywhere else.

We had 15-20 at the spring game. What is the issue?

You can block rooms, arrange meals etc. You just can't pay for anything. To tell recruits to come to a junior day and that is it, with no logistical assistance, is beyond weak and not done anywhere else.

We had 15-20 at the spring game. What is the issue?

15-20 Juniors, not kids who already signed their LOI's.

And of course we would provide logistics, we were talking about expenses.

15-20 Juniors, not kids who already signed their LOI's.

And of course we would provide logistics, we were talking about expenses.

Ano, if you go back and look ad DCCuse's list from last years Spring Game, which I reposted in this thread, there were about 15 unsigned prospects at the game.

I don't think that agreement is going to be reached among the posters of when is the best time to have a Junior Day, whether it is called that or not.

1253449365_cat-on-slide.gif

Pasqualoni used to have 50-60 kids in for junior days. Heck, Coach P and Syracuse hosted a NIKE combine one year.

Pasqualoni used to have 50-60 kids in for junior days. Heck, Coach P and Syracuse hosted a NIKE combine one year.
Things were easier logistically back then...

Ano, if you go back and look ad DCCuse's list from last years Spring Game, which I reposted in this thread, there were about 15 unsigned prospects at the game.

I don't think that agreement is going to be reached among the posters of when is the best time to have a Junior Day, whether it is called that or not.

View attachment 8704

i counted 10? please tell me i know how to count?

Things were easier logistically back then...

I would think with technology today and social media that logistics would be easier.

What are these "logistical problems" that everyone keeps talking about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom