2016 Mets | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

But Loney has been really good, the main problem is guys we were counting on like Granderson. Conforto, Darnaud have been garbage. Injuries happen, the Giants and Cardinals have had a lot of injuries and they keep on ticking.

The Giants have just blown a 7 game lead over the Dodgers and the Cardinals have no pitching left. All but the top 3 teams in each league have holes.

We can stay in this because of our schedule. We need Ces back this week. Big ten day stretch here. Get some confidence against Arizona in the desert on the way to SF, put up a good showing in the Bay Area, and win the series against the Cardinals before getting back to NY.

This is the make or break stretch here.

Miami losing Stanton can only help the Mets. Somebody's got to take that second wild card spot

I see them fading. Kohler is hurt too and he's been their best pitcher since the ASB.

I'm worried about the Pirates.

If nothing else, this season just goes to show how tenuous it is to build your team around pitching. Remember when we were marking the days on the calendar this year when we'd have a full rotation cycle of homegrown guys?

Now I wonder if we'll ever see that happen. Thank goodness for deGrom. He's been even better than last year.

But Loney has been really good, the main problem is guys we were counting on like Granderson. Conforto, Darnaud have been garbage. Injuries happen, the Giants and Cardinals have had a lot of injuries and they keep on ticking.

Come on. Let's not act like he's been more than a stopgap for Duda. Again, .900 OPS guys don't grow on trees.

Granderson regressing was easy to forsee. He's not a top of the order guy anymore.
d'Arnaud has never played over 110 games for the Mets, so getting a competent backup catcher would have been prudent. He's also messing with his swing too much.
Conforto was puzzling, but they should have DL'ed him when he had that wrist injury earlier this year.

And is Terry trying to get fired? Why on earth is Ty Kelly getting ABs over Kelly Johnson, who's actually a competent major league player.

Terry can't put together a good lineup to save his life.

Come on. Let's not act like he's been more than a stopgap for Duda. Again, .900 OPS guys don't grow on trees.

Granderson regressing was easy to forsee. He's not a top of the order guy anymore.
d'Arnaud has never played over 110 games for the Mets, so getting a competent backup catcher would have been prudent. He's also messing with his swing too much.
Conforto was puzzling, but they should have DL'ed him when he had that wrist injury earlier this year.

And is Terry trying to get fired? Why on earth is Ty Kelly getting ABs over Kelly Johnson, who's actually a competent major league player.

Terry can't put together a good lineup to save his life.

Loney has been a solid replacement, he is in a slump now, but hes done everything we could have asked and more. Honestly I put the blame on Sandy and his drafts, where are the good young players in our farm system?

Loney has been a solid replacement, he is in a slump now, but hes done everything we could have asked and more. Honestly I put the blame on Sandy and his drafts, where are the good young players in our farm system?

They're coming. We just had two very good drafts. But it's frustrating as all hell to see guys like TJ Rivera and Ty Kelly, who are minor league retreats get ABs over the promising young players that we do have, like Nimmo and Conforto.

I hope Rosario's promoted by mid-2017.

They're coming. We just had two very good drafts. But it's frustrating as all hell to see guys like TJ Rivera and Ty Kelly, who are minor league retreats get ABs over the promising young players that we do have, like Nimmo and Conforto.

I hope Rosario's promoted by mid-2017.

I think they have really jerked Conforto around; I hope they haven't ruined him long term. Nimmo? I mean he's probably better than Ty Kelly but I don't know if he's any good.
I don't know who they really have that's coming any time soon. Rosario probably. Aside from him? Dom Smith is a 1B only prospect who has an 814 OPS in AA. That's not bad or anything, but it doesn't scream out big league ready.

If nothing else, this season just goes to show how tenuous it is to build your team around pitching. Remember when we were marking the days on the calendar this year when we'd have a full rotation cycle of homegrown guys?

Now I wonder if we'll ever see that happen. Thank goodness for deGrom. He's been even better than last year.

It's funny, every fan base thinks their pitchers will be the ones who don't get hurt. The attrition rate on pitchers is just ridiculous. We may have lost 2 years of Wheeler to one TJ surgery, which is pretty amazing.

I think they have really jerked Conforto around; I hope they haven't ruined him long term. Nimmo? I mean he's probably better than Ty Kelly but I don't know if he's any good.
I don't know who they really have that's coming any time soon. Rosario probably. Aside from him? Dom Smith is a 1B only prospect who has an 814 OPS in AA. That's not bad or anything, but it doesn't scream out big league ready.

It's funny, every fan base thinks their pitchers will be the ones who don't get hurt. The attrition rate on pitchers is just ridiculous. We may have lost 2 years of Wheeler to one TJ surgery, which is pretty amazing.
it could be more time away for Wheeler depending on how his visit to Dr. Andrews tomorrow goes.

I agree with you that I'm not sure who is in the minors that is going to help this team next year. Herrera was the closest to MLB ready and not only did they never call him up this year when there was plenty of opportunity to do so but they traded him away for lucas duda jr. I'm really concerned that next year we have pretty much the same line up as this year except no Cespedes. If that happens you can write off next season also.

This offseason:
- see you later mr collins and entire coaching staff
- See you later Granderson
- See you later Duda
- welcome to first mr bruce
- pray that conforto gets his swing back if he can get away from the mets for an offseason and can man left field
- lagares/nimmo platoon in CF
- FA target for RF
- Wilmer gets 3rd base
- Cabrera gets SS with Cecchini/Reynolds getting a real shot at replacing him
- Walker gets 2nd
- The starting catcher next year is not in the Mets system right now - need a FA or trade
- Wright HAS to retire

What scares me about next year is that at least 2 out of the 5 starters will be coming off surgery if not 3 out of 5 assuming wheeler comes back. This thing is a disaster right now. I think its time for Alderson to ride of into the sunset and get a real GM now that the Mets are done with the Madoff payments after this next one.

it could be more time away for Wheeler depending on how his visit to Dr. Andrews tomorrow goes.

I agree with you that I'm not sure who is in the minors that is going to help this team next year. Herrera was the closest to MLB ready and not only did they never call him up this year when there was plenty of opportunity to do so but they traded him away for lucas duda jr. I'm really concerned that next year we have pretty much the same line up as this year except no Cespedes. If that happens you can write off next season also.

This offseason:
- see you later mr collins and entire coaching staff
- See you later Granderson
- See you later Duda
- welcome to first mr bruce
- pray that conforto gets his swing back if he can get away from the mets for an offseason and can man left field
- lagares/nimmo platoon in CF
- FA target for RF
- Wilmer gets 3rd base
- Cabrera gets SS with Cecchini/Reynolds getting a real shot at replacing him
- Walker gets 2nd
- The starting catcher next year is not in the Mets system right now - need a FA or trade
- Wright HAS to retire

What scares me about next year is that at least 2 out of the 5 starters will be coming off surgery if not 3 out of 5 assuming wheeler comes back. This thing is a disaster right now. I think its time for Alderson to ride of into the sunset and get a real GM now that the Mets are done with the Madoff payments after this next one.
compare that to the Yankees...

This offseason:
- trade McCann
- trade either Dlsbury or Gardner
- find starting pitching behind Tanaka & CC (although it may very well be Eovaldi, Severino & Green)

Cashman has done a great job & Girardi is coming back.

things went south quick for the mets, but I still think they can get the WC, but St Louis and Pitt are battle tested...

There are a ton of moving parts this off-season. Sandy is going to have his work cut out for him.

This offseason:
- trade McCann
- find starting pitching behind Tanaka & CC (although it may very well be Eovaldi, Severino & Green)

things went south quick for the mets, but I still think they can get the WC, but St Louis and Pitt are battle tested...
The finding starting pitching one is a doozy. I don't think there are any great free agents this off season.

There are a ton of moving parts this off-season. Sandy is going to have his work cut out for him.
I question whether Sandy is the guy to be making the decisions. His drafts the last few years have not been that great.

The finding starting pitching one is a doozy. I don't think there are any great free agents this off season.
most definitely.

and yes, the FA market appears baron.

that's where trading McCann, Gardner and Dlsbury comes into play.

otherwise, throw Pineda into my post above and move Green to the Nova spot, and that's next April's rotation.

deja vu all over again.

Last edited:
I question whether Sandy is the guy to be making the decisions. His drafts the last few years have not been that great.

Don't think Sandy is going anywhere, like it or not.

Hard to judge the drafts the last few years, really. Though conforto was looking like a pretty smart pick until Terry started benching him

Don't think Sandy is going anywhere, like it or not.

Hard to judge the drafts the last few years, really. Though conforto was looking like a pretty smart pick until Terry started benching him

Why not, people questioned the Nimmo pick at the time, the guy didn't even play high school baseball, and he has been a bust so far.

This offseason:
- trade McCann

He has? His starting pitching is a disaster.

Why not, people questioned the Nimmo pick at the time, the guy didn't even play high school baseball, and he has been a bust so far.

Nimmo was the 2011 draft; I thought the comment was more about the last year or two. Agree that pick has not worked out. Looks even worse when you see who went a pick after Nimmo...

Nimmo was the 2011 draft; I thought the comment was more about the last year or two. Agree that pick has not worked out. Looks even worse when you see who went a pick after Nimmo...

I am looking at all of his drafts, they have been a disaster, the guy has been here seven years, other than trading for Thor and Cespedes, what has this guy actually done?

He has? His starting pitching is a disaster.
if that's your thought, then how do you explain 4.5 out of the wild card and 2 more Wins than the All World met staff??

hes done..and Girardi, especially Girardi...have done what they could with what was available and what they had.

if that's your thought, then how do you explain 4.5 out of the wild card and 2 more Wins than the All World met staff??

hes done..and Girardi, especially Girardi...have done what they could with what was available and what they had.

The Yankees are on a hot streak, they are still a 500 team, there is a reason they have been mediocre for most of the season.

I am looking at all of his drafts, they have been a disaster, the guy has been here seven years, other than trading for Thor and Cespedes, what has this guy actually done?

This is his sixth, not seventh year.

He's made some very good trades, for instance 1 month of Marlon Byrd for Dilson Herrera. 2 months of Beltran for Wheeler. The Dickey trade was fantastic. They picked Duda over Ike Davis; that wasn't exactly popular at the time. Letting Reyes walk was the right move, though how much of that was financially motivated, I don't know. Jon Niese for Neil Walker was a pretty good trade I'd say. Granderson on the whole a worthwhile FA signing.

I don't think Sandy has done a great job. I'd say probably on the whole, above average, not crazily so. He was pretty good at making the moves early in the rebuilding process. Last year he finally got off his ass and made the go for it Cespedes trade, plus bringing in Johnson/Uribe for depth. I'm afraid if they got rid of him Jeff would have too much power again.

The Yankees are on a hot streak, they are still a 500 team, there is a reason they have been mediocre for most of the season.
and that reason has

A) announced his retirement

and

B) been cut

granted the pitching hasn't been otherworldly, but if those 2 clowns hit...different season.

and that reason has

A) announced his retirement

and

B) been cut

granted the pitching hasn't been otherworldly, but if those 2 clowns hit...different season.

But the Yankees are what they are, they aren't as good as the other teams in the Al east.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom