2016 Mets | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

Its time for Terry to go, the team has quit.

I thought you were "done" yourself, judging from you post above. It's hard to give up, even on the pain.

I thought you were "done" yourself, judging from you post above. It's hard to give up, even on the pain.

I'm just about, its time for Tc to go, you get swept by the Dbacks, and lose 9-0, this team has given up

Losing Duda was huge. You can't replace guys who can OPS .900 for multiple months in a season and carry a team for weeks when he's hot. Cespedes has also been hurt a lot of the year as well.

We've had major injuries from these positions:
C
1B
3B
CF
SP

There's not a team in this league that is equipped to lose 3 or 4 key guys to injury and not suffer for it. The problem is also exacerbated by the fact that Terry is an awful manager and has no idea how to manage.

Losing Duda was huge. You can't replace guys who can OPS .900 for multiple months in a season and carry a team for weeks when he's hot. Cespedes has also been hurt a lot of the year as well.

C
1B
3B
CF
SP

There's not a team in this league that is equipped to lose 3 or 4 key guys to injury and not suffer for it. The problem is also exacerbated by the fact that Terry is an awful manager and has no idea how to manage.

And the hitting coach is worthless.

C
1B
3B
CF
SP

But Loney has been really good, the main problem is guys we were counting on like Granderson. Conforto, Darnaud have been garbage. Injuries happen, the Giants and Cardinals have had a lot of injuries and they keep on ticking.

Have we hit rock bottom yet? We are actually under 500.

At least they fought back. The bullpen looked great.

Terry wanted Logan Verette to show him something tonight. He did.

Meanwhile Conforto is back in Vegas.

For a short while (last season) I forgot what it was like being a Mets fan, and it was fantastic. Now, that feeling is back in full swing. Maybe next season we can be healthy with that rotation, but this season... sheesh.

The Mets want to play "outside baseball"- get some guys on and have somebody hit the ball over the fence. I prefer the "inside baseball concept we saw the Royals use to beat the Mets in the Series- make good contact and run the bases aggressively to force errors. But I likely wouldn't be complaining if the two elements of outside baseball - getting on base and then hitting home runs- were both present. Unfortunately, they aren't.

Here are the on base percentages of the hitters the Mets have used this year in the games they have played with the Mets and their career on base percentages prior to this year or prior to their acquisitions by the Mets:

d' Arnaud with 2016 Mets: .282 prior career: .312 difference: -30 points
Loney .322 .339 -17
Walker .338 .338 even
Cabrera .308 .329 -21
Flores .303 .286 +17
Conforto .297 .335 -38
Cespedes .362 .320 +42
Granderson .322 .341 -19
De Aza .293 .331 -38
Wright .350 .377 -27
Lagares .303 .297 +6
Duda .297 .346 -49
Plaweckis .301 .280 +21
R. Rivera .295 .258 +37
Johnson .333 .330 +3
Campbell .270 .326 -56
Reyes .278 .339 -61
Bruce .238 .319 -81
Ruggerio .167 .321 -154

Reynolds (.231), Nimmo (.297), Kelly (.262) and T. J. Rivera (.222) are rookies so there was no basis for comparison. I didn't average out the differences because the plate appearances varied considerably, (Ruggerio had 6). But 2/3 of the Mets (6 of 18, besides Walker who is even with his career norm) are below their career numbers. That holds up with the starting line-up, (above DeAza) where 5 of 7, (besides Walker) are sub-par. And the differences are pretty substantial.

I think Terry Collins is not so much the problem as Kevin Long is.

familia/reed didnt blow a save in forever and now have done 4 in the last 2-3 weeks. it had to happen but this team has no run support to over come it now. no blown saves and they lead the wild card.

familia/reed didnt blow a save in forever and now have done 4 in the last 2-3 weeks. it had to happen but this team has no run support to over come it now. no blown saves and they lead the wild card.

You really can't make this up, they are facing a guy with an era above 5 and a bad bullpen and get two runs, and one of those were giftwrapped.

they get reyes/cespedes/and the SS back this week. can they hang in long enough for that to even help?

can they ever win 2 in a row. huge road trip coming up.

SF has not played well, ST louis has not played well, ariz just swept them

comforto falling apart has really killed this team on top of all the injuries and he looked so good in April.

can they ever win 2 in a row. huge road trip coming up.

SF has not played well, ST louis has not played well, ariz just swept them

comforto falling apart has really killed this team on top of all the injuries and he looked so good in April.

He wasn't comfortable.

The Mets want to play "outside baseball"- get some guys on and have somebody hit the ball over the fence. I prefer the "inside baseball concept we saw the Royals use to beat the Mets in the Series- make good contact and run the bases aggressively to force errors. But I likely wouldn't be complaining if the two elements of outside baseball - getting on base and then hitting home runs- were both present. Unfortunately, they aren't.

Here are the on base percentages of the hitters the Mets have used this year in the games they have played with the Mets and their career on base percentages prior to this year or prior to their acquisitions by the Mets:

d' Arnaud with 2016 Mets: .282 prior career: .312 difference: -30 points
Loney .322 .339 -17
Walker .338 .338 even
Cabrera .308 .329 -21
Flores .303 .286 +17
Conforto .297 .335 -38
Cespedes .362 .320 +42
Granderson .322 .341 -19
De Aza .293 .331 -38
Wright .350 .377 -27
Lagares .303 .297 +6
Duda .297 .346 -49
Plaweckis .301 .280 +21
R. Rivera .295 .258 +37
Johnson .333 .330 +3
Campbell .270 .326 -56
Reyes .278 .339 -61
Bruce .238 .319 -81
Ruggerio .167 .321 -154

Reynolds (.231), Nimmo (.297), Kelly (.262) and T. J. Rivera (.222) are rookies so there was no basis for comparison. I didn't average out the differences because the plate appearances varied considerably, (Ruggerio had 6). But 2/3 of the Mets (6 of 18, besides Walker who is even with his career norm) are below their career numbers. That holds up with the starting line-up, (above DeAza) where 5 of 7, (besides Walker) are sub-par. And the differences are pretty substantial.

I think Terry Collins is not so much the problem as Kevin Long is.

Alderson is the problem (and the Wilpons). The philosophy upon which he built the team on blows. Moneyball is dog poop. The A's of the late 90s early aughts didnt over achieve. Beane was smart enough to draft college pitchers who matured quickly (i agree with him on that element) who carried the team, and had a bunch of roid heads smash the ball (Giambi's, Tejada). The DH helps because it lengthens the line up and there wasnt the relief pitcher specialization then that there is now.

The Mets team Alderson put together doesnt have a single above-average contact hitter, no base stealers, no one to hit and run with. When they are bad, they are terrible and make it easy on opposing pitchers. Bunch of minus defenders to back up a solid staff. I'm not a fan a long, but he did turn Murphy into a standout. Dont even get me started on them not resigning him.

Alderson is the problem (and the Wilpons). The philosophy upon which he built the team on blows. Moneyball is dog poop. The A's of the late 90s early aughts didnt over achieve. Beane was smart enough to draft college pitchers who matured quickly (i agree with him on that element) who carried the team, and had a bunch of roid heads smash the ball (Giambi's, Tejada). The DH helps because it lengthens the line up and there wasnt the relief pitcher specialization then that there is now.

The Mets team Alderson put together doesnt have a single above-average contact hitter, no base stealers, no one to hit and run with. When they are bad, they are terrible and make it easy on opposing pitchers. Bunch of minus defenders to back up a solid staff. I'm not a fan a long, but he did turn Murphy into a standout. Dont even get me started on them not resigning him.

Alderson's drafts have been awful, where are the young players? Nimmo, Conforto, Darnaud. Other than Bringing in Thor, and bringing in Cespedes what has he really done? Most of the players who contributed to the Mets run last year are Omar guys.

I'd like to try Moneyball before we give up on it. Get on base and have somebody hit a home run. So far we've only done the latter.

In 2002 the season when the movie takes place the roid heads (Jason Giambi, and Tejada) are gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom