2016 Mets | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

I hate, hate, hate, hate this.
There is no worst case scenario unless you just personally hate Tebow (you may be a Jets fan). The cost is so insignificant. He has minimal salary, and minimal bonus (whatever was leftover from 2016 draft pool). The revenue from ticket sales and merchandise for Fall Ball and Spring Training will far exceed the costs. It won't be a distraction to anyone on the big league club unless answering BS fluff questions about how he looked.

Best case scenario he is Matt Stairs. Worst case scenario the Mets make money and he gets cut after Spring Training. There are plenty of crap minor leaguers who are brought on by favors to old friends, players and family so if anyone thinks he is taking a potential big leaguers spot then that is a weak argument.

There is no worst case scenario unless you just personally hate Tebow (you may be a Jets fan). The cost is so insignificant. He has minimal salary, and minimal bonus (whatever was leftover from 2016 draft pool). The revenue from ticket sales and merchandise for Fall Ball and Spring Training will far exceed the costs. It won't be a distraction to anyone on the big league club unless answering BS fluff questions about how he looked.

Best case scenario he is Matt Stairs. Worst case scenario the Mets make money and he gets cut after Spring Training. There are plenty of crap minor leaguers who are brought on by favors to old friends, players and family so if anyone thinks he is taking a potential big leaguers spot then that is a weak argument.
I hate the persona of Tim Tebow. I hate the sanctification of a white QB and all that "wholesome" crap. I hate the brand. I hate the fact that a good college quarterback is still relevant at 29 for no explicable reason. I hate the fact that it's national news that a college quarterback got signed to a minor league deal at age 29.

I also don't like the Jets.

I hate the persona of Tim Tebow. I hate the sanctification of a white QB and all that "wholesome" crap. I hate the brand. I hate the fact that a good college quarterback is still relevant at 29 for no explicable reason. I hate the fact that it's national news that a college quarterback got signed to a minor league deal at age 29.

tebow has same agent as cespedes. i dont think thats a coincidence.

Dozier1.jpg

I understand your viewpoint and agree with certain social aspects that you touched upon but that's a lot of hate for something so trivial. It does seem to be a sound business decision by the Mets.

the 20 or so minutes that news reached the FAN and as Boomer announced it, were must listen radio.

Recco was there for an update and Boomer showed him 1st..and when he said 'that cant be real??!! seriously???!! they couldn't have waited to announce this at 10:02??!!'

everyone knew it was the mets.

and board darling Carton, had a field day.

good stuff.

If everything we hear about Tebow is true, this dude needs a release. I can only imagine the pent up energy in this guy. If he can be taught to take it out on the baseball, he could lead the league in homers every year until he gets married, at which time he will become so unbelievably pre-occupied with the act that he has been denying himself, he will be of no use to anyone.

If everything we hear about Tebow is true, this dude needs a release. I can only imagine the pent up energy in this guy. If he can be taught to take it out on the baseball, he could lead the league in homers every year until he gets married, at which time he will become so unbelievably pre-occupied with the act that he has been denying himself, he will be of no use to anyone.
Creepiest comment ever.

Nice guy who does charity work 24/7 outside of his various jobs - what an awful persona!

"Good" college QB?.. Tebow is up there with Jim Brown for best CFB player ever. A tad better than "good".

Nice guy who does charity work 24/7 outside of his various jobs - what an awful persona!

"Good" college QB?.. Tebow is up there with Jim Brown for best CFB player ever. A tad better than "good".

I would agree the fascination with him now is a little much but I agree, the guy was an all time college player

I said persona and not person. He's probably a nice, genuine guy. I don't know him personally. Hence the distinction.

And yeah, I said good college QB. I don't rank "best". Far too subjective and a waste of time.

tebow has same agent as cespedes. i dont think thats a coincidence.

The agent probably conned the Wilpons, Hey if you sign Tebow, Cespedes will sign for a cheaper amount.

The agent probably conned the Wilpons, Hey if you sign Tebow, Cespedes will sign for a cheaper amount.

I'd agree if you eliminated this part.

I'd agree if you eliminated this part.

Theres no doubt he won't sign for a cheaper amount, but the agent probably said he would, and the Wilpons ears went up like a dog.

So...back to the product on the field. Who gives a rat's a$$ about Tebow?

If we can avoid getting swept by Washington, we have a very, very good chance to pull this thing off.

The Cardinals have a brutal thirteen game stretch coming up where they get the Giants for four and the Cubs for six over the next two weeks. Meanwhile our schedule after the Nats series suddenly turns softer than Charmin. You can't look past your opponents, but I would hope that we can go 8-5 at the very worst over these next 13 games heading into the final week. If you can't go 7-3, or better against the Phillies, Braves, and Twins, three teams that have a combined 256 losses on the season, in your last homestand of the year, then you don't deserve to go to the playoffs. Let's avoid the sweep from Washington, and then either sweep the Twins or Braves while going no worse than 4-4 against Philly.

Mets anticipated next two weeks (13 game stretch.)

@ Wash - 3 (1-2)
vs. Min - (3-0)
vs. Atl - (2-1)
vs. Phi - (2-2)

= 8-5
= 84-72 with six to play
= .5 GB from SF for WC#1, 2.5 games up on STL for WC#2

If we can do that, we should be in excellent shape. I can't see the Cardinals going 9-4 with 10 out of 13 games against the Cubs and Giants. I'm anticipating them to go 3-3 against the Cubs, and 1-3 against the Giants. Even with a sweep in Colorado between the Cubs series, (which is never a safe bet at Coors), they only go 7-6 over the next two weeks. We really need either the Giants or Cardinals to go 1-3 or get swept in that four game series. A split doesn't really help us.

Cards anticipated next two weeks (13 game stretch.)

vs. Cubs - 3 (2-1)
@ SF - 4 (1-3)
@ COL - 3 (2-1)
@ Cubs - 3 (1-2)

= 6-7
= 81-74 with seven to play.
= 2.5 back of Mets/3.5 GB of Giants for WC #1/2

You figure the Giants are playing with a sense of urgency, having blown the division, if they don't keep it up, they may find themselves out of the playoff picture altogether, although they seem to have righted the ship in recent days. However, the Giants schedule isn't much easier than the Cards. They have seven games with the Cards and Dodgers in the next two weeks. We'd like them to go 3-4 at best in those six games, and no better than 4-3 against the other seven they have with the Padres during that stretch. However, if we had to choose which series we'd rather have the Giants lose, it would be the Dodger series so the division can be all but wrapped up during the final weekend when they play the Dodgers again.

Giants next two weeks (14 game stretch.)

vs. SD - (2-1)
vs. Stl - (3-1)
@ LA - (1-2)
@ SD - (2-2)

= 8-6
= 85-71 with six games to play
= 1 game up on Mets for WC #1

It's worth noting that the last week of the season we have six games to play while the Cardinals have seven. The Giants have six games the last week of the season but don't have an off day from now until 9/26, which is their last of the season. Also, if we finish the season with the same record as the Giants, and the Cardinals are eliminated we win the WC #1 due to winning the season series against the Giants. If we finish the season tied with the Cardinals for the WC #2, we would play a one game playoff against them for the right to play the Giants on the road in the Wild Card game. Tying the Giants is good. Tying the Cardinals is bad.

Personally, I would really really like our chances to go deep into the playoffs if we can host the wildcard game. I don't enjoy the prospect of having to fly six hours to play the Giants with Mad Bum on the mound. We can take St. Louis in St. Louis, but I would be pretty concerned about playing the Giants in the wildcard game on the road.

Either way, compared to how things looked on September 1st, I'll take it. This is exciting stuff, and I think we're poised for a good final stretch.

Last edited:
You've got to hope for a 4 game - SFG sweep over STL right?

We really need the Cubs and Giants to take care of business against the Cardinals this week. Going 5-3 against them would be amazing. You figure we can go at least 4-3 against the Nats and Twins.

If that happens we'd be two games up on the Cards by the end of the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom