2016 Mets | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

Who we rooting for Giants or cardinals?
neither. we want them both to fade & have to face each other in a 1 game playoff before flying to NY to face us in the WC game.

neither. we want them both to fade & have to face each other in a 1 game playoff before flying to NY to face us in the WC game.

they have a 4 game series against each other starting tonite, someone's gotta win!

I'm honestly not sure.

The best case scenario to me overall is the Mets host the Cards in the wild card game. But the home game isn't that hugely important, i'd rather be the road team if we could wrap it up before the last few days and set the rotation.

Honestly, the other two teams have a pretty tough schedule and we have a cake schedule, we "should" be able to win the #1 WC spot. So I guess a split? That's probably the outcome that makes us hosting the cards the most likely.

i think tonite we definitely root for the giants. after that not sure, just depends on what we do. if we lose we want the cardinals to keep losing. if we win then we might be better off with the giants losing so we can get the 1st wild card.

if we just wanna get in and dont care who or where we play then we should root for a sweep.

i think tonite we definitely root for the giants. after that not sure, just depends on what we do. if we lose we want the cardinals to keep losing. if we win then we might be better off with the giants losing so we can get the 1st wild card.

if we just wanna get in and dont care who or where we play then we should root for a sweep.

Yes. I'm probably being too greedy here, but just in looking at our schedule, there's no excuse for us not to outplay both teams over the next 16 games, so I'm still going to root for my ideal scenario (STL at home). Also I have tickets for that game, so I'm biased

I'm an ESL teacher in Queens and this is an actual exercise from a book we use. The lesson was on the difference between "There are" and "They are." I found it funny and sad at the same time.

View attachment 76196

Another question you could use is

Jay Bruce last got a hit

A. When George W Bush was president
B. The start of the Iraqi War
C. The End of the Cold War

So do we want the Giants to sweep the Cardinals now? If the Mets can take care of the Twins these last two games, that will give them a nice 4 game lead with 13 left to play. The Giants still have to play the Dodgers, so still plenty of chances to get the top wildcard. This might be the best scenario now.

Giants still have six with the Dodgers. Mets can chase them down. Bury the Cardinals and then let's go hunt the Giants.

Giants still have six with the Dodgers. Mets can chase them down. Bury the Cardinals and then let's go hunt the Giants.

I agree, distance ourselves as much from the Cards as possible, and then we can worry about catching the Giants.

A great win indeed but I can't get too excited after the deGrom news from earlier today. I can see this team getting the top wildcard and winning the wildcard game if Syndergaard is pitching. The NLDS though is a different story. Hypothetically, if they get there, they have Syndergaard and Colon against the Cubs. If Syndergaard pitches the wildcard game, someone like Gsellman or Lugo will have to pitch at Wrigley Field as a rookie in their postseason debut. Yikes! I'm getting ahead of myself but unless Matz returns somewhat healthy, I don't see any path for the Mets other than a possible wildcard win this postseason. I guess stranger things have happened though.

This is where I think Terry has rocks in his head.

The kid's pitching well - leave him in. The bullpen's had plenty of work lately and they're no more likely than Ynoa to get the third out.

Hate the micromanaging.

The kid's pitching well - leave him in. The bullpen's had plenty of work lately and they're no more likely than Ynoa to get the third out.

Hate the micromanaging.

Totally agree. MLB managers are constantly taking out an effective starter after 5-6 innings (or before). Seems stupid, especially when your relievers are questionable. Collins isn't alone, although I've never liked the way he uses his starters and relievers.

I keep thinking about Warren Spahn. In the early 1960's when he was 40-41-42 he pitched 21-22-22 complete games. (and he won 21-18-and 23 games)

Hate the micromanaging.

He makes some odd moves, but the fact that we are 10 games over 500 with all the injuries we have, is amazing, the guy has done a great job.

Terry's bullpen management has been bad this year but there have been plenty of games where he's started bench players on a hunch and they've had big games.

He makes some odd moves, but the fact that we are 10 games over 500 with all the injuries we have, is amazing, the guy has done a great job.

They're doing something right now, for sure. I'm grateful to have some meaningful baseball being played this week.

Hate the micromanaging.

I think in general Terry keeps guys in too long. As far as Ynoa goes, it's worth pointing out he hasn't thrown more than 45 pitches in what, a month? probably wasn't stretched out

Knicks411 said:
I think in general Terry keeps guys in too long. As far as Ynoa goes, it's worth pointing out he hasn't thrown more than 45 pitches in what, a month? probably wasn't stretched out

Yea I didn't have a problem with taking out ynoa, I think he got as much out of him as you're gonna get. And I'm someone who thinks terry is an awful manager.

Conforto better be in the lineup tonite.

As a pretty hard and fast rule, I think a guy who's pitching well should be encouraged to complete the inning.

I was in the car so I wasn't watching the game, so I can only comment in generalities.

I think generally Terry goes too long with guys, (Game 4 of the world series is a classic example of this) and I also think it's very possible Ynoa was close to being out of gas because he hadn't thrown a lot of pitches lately.

I was also a guy who wanted to keep Harvey in to start the 9th of game 5 last year.

I don't know if I posted this at the time, but Terry did such a poor job with Harvey in Game 5. I'm fine leaving him out there, but don't get into an argument in the dugout and rile the kid up. Pitchers need to be even-keeled, not angry. Harvey looked like he had the stuff to get through the 9th, but he totally lost it after the dugout business.

Didn't realize Ynoa hasn't had a ton of reps, but I still would've given him at least another batter; he'd been locating well and didn't seem to have lost any velocity.

Terry didn't screw up letting Harvey start the 9th, that was the right call. He was dominating and deserved the chance to finish it. He screwed up by not taking him out after the lead off walk. I'll give you the chance to finish the game, but if anyone gets on its familia time.

And his explanation after was ridiculous, he said something like I didn't put him back out there to face 1 batter. So dumb.

Totally agree. MLB managers are constantly taking out an effective starter after 5-6 innings (or before). Seems stupid, especially when your relievers are questionable. Collins isn't alone, although I've never liked the way he uses his starters and relievers.

I keep thinking about Warren Spahn. In the early 1960's when he was 40-41-42 he pitched 21-22-22 complete games. (and he won 21-18-and 23 games)

for every Warren Spahn, there are hundreds of guys whose careers were shortened by overuse

As a pretty hard and fast rule, I think a guy who's pitching well should be encouraged to complete the inning.
those arms are critical team assets. a manager's job is to weigh the short term gain vs the potential long term effects. only in rare cases should the former outweigh the latter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom