2016 Yankees | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Yankees

Still can't believe they traded Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps lol! On a side note that Seinfeld episode when Georges dad gives Stein a hard time for that trade is hysterical.

A little fun fact, the Seinfeld finale, they had to cut some scenes out, one of them was Steinbrenner testifying in court, and George's dad standing up screaming about giving Hideki Irabu all of that money.

You knew Ike Davis?
sort of.

I was a regular's regular at this 1 UES Irish Pub for well over a decade, Ike moved into the neighborhood for I think the '12 season, he might've been there for '11 too, but I think he was injured/sick. anywho, he basically closed the bar every night the mets were home till he was traded. hed either go out downtown then stop in for last call, or would go right there after games and show up at 12. we treated him like 1 of the guys, and my buddy who was the bartender and a Yankee fan gave, him heavy heavy pours of vodka tonics. Justin Turner was often his running mate. it was a big baseball bar where both Yankee and met fans came, but the Yankee fans treated the mets fans like the losers they are, in a funny way. same with Ike, 'don't get him a round...hes a met. no wait, get him 1 and make it super strong hes got a day game tomorrow!!' hed just laugh, shoot the shlit, buy a round or 2 himself and take the 10 drinks...

after the Santana no-hitter, a whole bunch of mets were in, including Wright.

Cali already traded Pineda last night night to make room for Kaprielian.;)
One Yankee who might have secured himself as a Yankee is Refsynder wcan play a number of positions on the roster. OK not any of them at a high level but he is serviceable at second,first and the outfield I like his bat. and I'm thinking that Joe does as well. They aren't going to risk seeing him become an All-star wearing another uniform UNLESS the Yanks get a bigly return.

Unfortunately the Yankees have had this issue for a while. It has been a while since I haven't been too worried about injuries.
Some of the moves Cashman has made are more like trying to use magic instead of something that might help the franchise. Ike Davis is one of those moves. Hr doesn't look as good as a few AAA or AA players. If the Yankees have any one down on the farm doing anything it might be good thing to give them a cup of coffee. If nothing else it demonstrates to this players what they need to do to stay in the majors and give them encouragement that they are being looked at by the organization generals.bIke Davis is looking at the tail end of his career.Sure he MIGHT run into a ball or two but those accidents won't be often enough secure his position.

Some of the moves Cashman has made are more like trying to use magic instead of something that might help the franchise. Ike Davis is one of those moves. Hr doesn't look as good as a few AAA or AA players. If the Yankees have any one down on the farm doing anything it might be good thing to give them a cup of coffee. If nothing else it demonstrates to this players what they need to do to stay in the majors and give them encouragement that they are being looked at by the organization generals.bIke Davis is looking at the tail end of his career.Sure he MIGHT run into a ball or two but those accidents won't be often enough secure his position.
If I just heard correctly on YES, they said that Refsnyder, not Ike Davis , will be the odd man out when Tex returns. I couldn't disagree more.

If I just heard correctly on YES, they said that Refsnyder, not Ike Davis , will be the odd man out when Tex returns. I couldn't disagree more.
Better for Ref to play everyday in SWB or play once a week in NY?

Valid point. I just don't think Davis brings much to the table.

My reaction as well. Its clear that the Yankees have no appreciation or strategy reading young plays The talent aspect is clear to idiots and requires no insight for this ability to handle the younger players Reffy has shown his ability to hit ML pitching and plays satisfactory first and even second base along with an ocassional out field in a pinch Davis is done and got picked up from wavers fora reason,orwas he a total FA?

My reaction as well. Its clear that the Yankees have no appreciation or strategy reading young plays The talent aspect is clear to idiots and requires no insight for this ability to handle the younger players Reffy has shown his ability to hit ML pitching and plays satisfactory first and even second base along with an ocassional out field in a pinch Davis is done and got picked up from wavers fora reason,orwas he a total FA?
He was released from a minor league contract on 6/12.

Depends on how serious you are about the playoffs.
Ío Tex is back in week or so. Does he hit? If he does it,how long will it be before he pulls a muscle or rips something in his shoulder or leg? Beltran has kept this team from a brick dive to last place for the season but at his age he is susceptible to season ender every time he goes on the field OK Headley has had a string of base hits but attired base the team needs more power.So far Ike hasn't run into a pitch.

Still can't believe they traded Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps lol! On a side note that Seinfeld episode when Georges dad gives Stein a hard time for that trade is hysterical.
I caught a foul ball in B'more's old Memorial Stadium hit by Ken Phelps. It was during "The Fog Game". There was an unbelievable layer of fog in the stadium. It was like 15-20 feet above the ground. Bernie Williams in CF would go to one knee each pitch hoping to see the ball. The Yanks won because the O's left fielder lost the game-winning "hit" in the fog (he just stood in his original position with zero idea where the ball went and the ball landed in left center on the warning track). Two runs scored, but the one that would have scored on what should have been a deep sac fly would have won the game anyway.

I caught a foul ball in B'more's old Memorial Stadium hit by Ken Phelps. It was during "The Fog Game". There was an unbelievable layer of fog in the stadium. It was like 15-20 feet above the ground. Bernie Williams in CF would go to one knee each pitch hoping to see the ball. The Yanks won because the O's left fielder lost the game-winning "hit" in the fog (he just stood in his original position with zero idea where the ball went and the ball landed in left center on the warning track). Two runs scored, but the one that would have scored on what should have been a deep sac fly would have won the game anyway.
fascinating.

phelps was never an oriole and retired before Bernie made the bigs.

who are you, Hilary??

fascinating.

phelps was never an oriole and retired before Bernie made the bigs.

who are you, Hilary??
Phelps was on the Yankees at the time. We were sitting behind home. It was a foul that came straight back into the upper deck and I snagged it over the people sitting in front of me when it was at the top of would have been its arc. My friends and I would go see the Yanks, Dead Sux, and Tigers play in B'more all the time.

I thought it was Bernie in CF, obviously it must have been someone else.

Better for Ref to play everyday in SWB or play once a week in NY?
Stay in NY and play against lefties. It gives Joe some options.and the fact that he is succeeding at first and second gives more rest options for the lineup. Add on the psychological spike in the farm system players knowing there is in fact a path to the majors.

Phelps was on the Yankees at the time. We were sitting behind home. It was a foul that came straight back into the upper deck and I snagged it over the people sitting in front of me when it was at the top of would have been its arc. My friends and I would go see the Yanks, Dead Sux, and Tigers play in B'more all the time.

I thought it was Bernie in CF, obviously it must have been someone else.
gotcha.

my guess for CF...Claudell Washington.

maybe Roberto Kelly

Play offs?? really I know this was a joke and a good one,Otto
Its the time to think about the trade deadline.Some think that Chapman is up for grabs for the right return.A seller bat or big time young pitcher. I would go for the bat.

Play offs?? really I know this was a joke and a good one,Otto

Its the time to think about the trade deadline.Some think that Chapman is up for grabs for the right return.A seller bat or big time young pitcher. I would go for the bat.
im dead serious.

I expect real October baseball this year.

im dead serious.

I expect real October baseball this year.
Lets say we have a shot at the wild card come near the trade deadline. Do we fight for a one game playoff, only to lose in the next round? Lets face it, we are not a world series team this year. I feel that has been the Yankees the past couple years, getting older veterans that just get us near or in the first round to the playoffs. That does nothing for me, I want to win it all. Or do you say, forget the fight for the wild card, lets get some young prospects to develop so in a few years we have a legit shot at winning the whole thing and have a future for years to come. I don't want to speak for others, but I am willing to sacrifice a playoff spot now for a serious chance to win the title in the future.

Lets say we have a shot at the wild card come near the trade deadline. Do we fight for a one game playoff, only to lose in the next round? Lets face it, we are not a world series team this year. I feel that has been the Yankees the past couple years, getting older veterans that just get us near or in the first round to the playoffs. That does nothing for me, I want to win it all. Or do you say, forget the fight for the wild card, lets get some young prospects to develop so in a few years we have a legit shot at winning the whole thing and have a future for years to come. I don't want to speak for others, but I am willing to sacrifice a playoff spot now for a serious chance to win the title in the future.
depends on what we can get for chapman and beltran, whom I believe are the only assets worth something to teams at the deadline.

and I don't see the Yanks getting anyone to help, maybe a starter/long man on the cheap.

as for prospects, they would need to get AA-AAA players ready to play next year.

not in 3-4 years...next year.

if teams aren't ready to do that, then lets keep everyone & make a run for it...and keep others out of October.

somebody help me out...when will Harper be a Yankee??

2017??
2018??

Anything can happen once they get in. If the pitching gets hot this team could win three series. This rotation isn't too shabby.

depends on what we can get for chapman and beltran, whom I believe are the only assets worth something to teams at the deadline.

and I don't see the Yanks getting anyone to help, maybe a starter/long man on the cheap.

as for prospects, they would need to get AA-AAA players ready to play next year.

not in 3-4 years...next year.

if teams aren't ready to do that, then lets keep everyone & make a run for it...and keep others out of October.

somebody help me out...when will Harper be a Yankee??

2017??
2018??

Not sure I would want Harper...for the salary he would command you could get 2-3 front line starting pitchers...

Anything can happen once they get in. If the pitching gets hot this team could win three series. This rotation isn't too shabby.
Would love it more than anything. Just don't think we have the bats to win three series.

Not sure I would want Harper...for the salary he would command you could get 2-3 front line starting pitchers...
sabathia and possibly tanakas contracts will be off the books next year.

same with Arod.

they will have plenty of $$ to spread around...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom