2018 roster management | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2018 roster management

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what that has to do with the points being made.

It has to do with JB pissing some of our players and their parents off. I figured I'd answer you because I can have an intelligent conversation/ debate with you. I shouldn't have said the recent players weren't waving the SU pompoms. I should've specifically said they're not out there extolling the virtues of playing for JB.

It has to do with JB pissing some of our players and their parents off. I figured I'd answer you because I can have an intelligent conversation/ debate with you. I shouldn't have said the recent players weren't waving the SU pompoms. I should've specifically said they're not out there extolling the virtues of playing for JB.
Honestly, I don't think they ever did. One tell tell sign. And this has always bothered me. The players on team always refer to him as Boeheim. It just seem so disrespectful. It will be interesting to see how Buddy fares with his teammates going forward. I have heard he is a great kid by the way. As someone said to me, he takes after julie.

Players don’t do that, generally.

Has it always been this way or has JB’s alleged mistreatment of players deteriorated only in recent years?

Has it always been this way or has JB’s alleged mistreatment of players deteriorated only in recent years?
By all accounts, Jb was much tougher on his players when he started. I was around then. Nothing has changed or got worse from what I see. However, I wouldn't use the term mistreated. That is a loaded term as you know. We see mistreatment around college basketball and what he does, isn't that. He yells at guys. They all do that. He doesn't hit anyone. He doesn't make life a living hell. If anything, he is too lax. He calls them out in press conferences and he SHOULDN'T do that. He isn't a warm guy. I wish he was. He says things he shouldn't. Like when guys are going out the door. But he doesn't mistreat players. That term is really loaded and not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I don't think they ever did. One tell tell sign. And this has always bothered me. The players on team always refer to him as Boeheim. It just seem so disrespectful. It will be interesting to see how Buddy fares with his teammates going forward. I have heard he is a great kid by the way. As someone said to me, he takes after julie.

It's not disrespect. It's not being able to relate to him. There's no connection there and it's getting worse in recent years as the age gap widens. Hop helped to bridge the gap and smooth the edges.

It's not disrespect. It's not being able to relate to him. There's no connection there and it's getting worse in recent years as the age gap widens. Hop helped to bridge the gap and smooth the edges.
It's not the age gap. Other coaches have got old and have not had their players call him by his last name. That was going on in 1977. I was there. I was in college at 1 year old.

That tells me that players come here for the brand and the exposure first and foremost. Or does JB change his personality completely during recruiting visits? Which seems more likely?

We’ll be ok as long as we are willing to pay the market rate for a very good coach when the time comes. Just too bad hops ship probably sailed.

That tells me that players come here for the brand and the exposure first and foremost. Or does JB change his personality completely during recruiting visits? Which seems more likely?

We’ll be ok as long as we are willing to pay the market rate for a very good coach when the time comes. Just too bad hops ship probably sailed.
We won't get as good a coach on the next go around.

fd6.gif

We won't get as good a coach on the next go around.
And you know this how, Nostradamus? So much in the college landscape can change in 5 years. If you’re suggesting we won’t be able to find someone who can do better than .500 ball in the conference then they should plan to eventually move all home games to the new state fair expo center.

By all accounts, Jb was much tougher on his players when he started. I was around then. Nothing has changed or got worse from what I see. However, I wouldn't use the term mistreated. That is a loaded term as you know. We see mistreatment around college basketball and what he does, isn't that. He yells at guys. They all do that. He doesn't hit anyone. He doesn't make life a living hell. If anything, he is too lax. He calls them out in press conferences and he SHOULDN'T do that. He isn't a warm guy. I wish he was. He says things he shouldn't. Like when guys are going out the door. But he doesn't mistreat players. That term is really loaded and not true.

Agree he was tougher to deal with all around in the early years. This is not a matter of getting old and ornery. He was ornery in the plaid jacket. More so.

But I do think players at that time were more conditioned to accept that sort of treatment. These days? They question it more, and maybe that’s not a bad thing.

Carmelo Anthony has always referred to him as "Boeheim" and seems to like him just fine.

You say this - like you do - as fact.

Some 24 hours after a stunning decision from a prized recruit.

Why are you so damning of the staff that they aren’t looking for someone?

And of course, do you think you really know?
You have no clue. You make it personal. Notice how multiple people in this thread have basically confirmed my news but instead of that being good enough you make it personal about me. I could give a bleep what you think of me or my message.

I have been told by multiple people we aren’t going to get a grad transfer and the staff doesn’t like any of the recruits out there right now.
Thus we are done for 2018.

However because you don’t like my style of posting you attack me. You don’t like fine I don’t give crap. However I will respond back. I am polarizing fine but info has been told to me on this subject by multiple people. You attacked me for something else you were wrong on it.

Last edited:
What was JB supposed to do exactly? The kid was hurt and already behind because he showed up late, yet still expected to start.
What was JB suppose to do?
Not put all his eggs on Quade Green and have an actual backup recruit when Green spurned us. Howard Washington wasn’t our backup we should have been on more guards early but the all eggs in one recruit necessitated gambling on Thorpe and it blew up.

It is okay to admit the guy is a HOFer and legend but makes mistakes as well.

When Buddy calls him 'Boeheim', then we know there's a problem. :confused:

I don't think the 2016 and 2018 teams make those post season runs if they saw their coach as Simon Legree.

The program is not in a great place. The trend is not positive. It's been one negative thing after another. Yes, the Final Four and Sweet 16's were great runs but you have to look at the big picture. We have a coach who is approaching his mid-70's. We have been a middle of the pack ACC team. Every year, we have a ton of drama, low-lighted by defections and players who are not whistling Dixie on their way out of the program. We are still on probation. We get a rare top 10 recruit and he bails. Now, that is not a direct fault of the coach but it certainly is a bad look. We were blindsided. Okay. Was the communication on point? Did our head coach communicate on a daily basis with this player? How about the Matt Moyer situation? If you think that was just about playing time, you don't know what you are talking about.

There are problems. There has been damage to the program. Things are not trending up.

Did anyone see the article in the Daily Orange with the following quote from Moyers folks?

Moyer’s mother said neither she nor his father wanted him to play at Syracuse out of high school.

Did anyone see the article in the Daily Orange with the following quote from Moyers folks?

Moyer’s mother said neither she nor his father wanted him to play at Syracuse out of high school.
Auto response yeah well I am sure the Moyer’s are bitter about Matthew’s PT.

Ignoring the fact the HC publicly aired dirty laundry for no reason other than he has no filter. I have been told more about that incident I hope that person eventually states.

Well there’s no such thing as a bullpen.
To me it’s not just that the roster isn’t full, but that it seems, recently, that recruits either play as many minutes as possible or they’re suddenly not good enough to play at all and they’re publicly bad-mouthed. It does no good to have 11 on the roster if 3 don’t play and two quit halfway through the season. Relationships are a two way street and that’s not a good look for the program. If JAB can’t manage more than 8-9 players, then depth and development is going to be a continuing issue.

This program isnt a disaster and that is a credit to the staff and the system. But supposed peer programs don’t have as many issues with filling out 13 roster spots, managing egos, and expectations. Players do come and go elsewhere, but it’s a been a little more prevalent here. Even walk-ons have left the team. If SU aspires to be more than a mid-level ACC team things need to improve on that front. Consistently going into the season with 8-9 eligible players is asking for trouble.

What was JB suppose to do?
Not put all his eggs on Quade Green and have an actual backup recruit when Green spurned us. Howard Washington wasn’t our backup we should have been on more guards early but the all eggs in one recruit necessitated gambling on Thorpe and it blew up.

It is okay to admit the guy is a HOFer and legend but makes mistakes as well.
Oh, you can call Thorpe a miss. That’s accurate. But as far as him quitting goes, there’s no way JB could have seen it coming. Even Thorpe’s dad was surprised.

How about the Matt Moyer situation? If you think that was just about playing time, you don't know what you are talking about.

It's amazing that you posted this 32 minutes after posting this...

"1) I've never labeled myself an insider."

It's disingenuous . You can't condescendingly tell people their opinions are wrong and insinuate you know more, and then claim to be just an innocent observer.

You interview recruits, talk to their parents etc. You've countlessly vouched for the Moyer's character. You have access to information most people here don't. And that is appreciated by a lot of people here.

Enjoy it, embrace it, love it.

Last edited:
It's amazing that you posted this 32 minutes after posting this...

"1) I've never labeled myself an insider."

Is disengenous. You can't condescendingly tell people their opinions are wrong and insinuate you know more, and then claim to be just an innocent observer.

You interview recruits, talk to their parents etc. You've countlessly vouched for the Moyer's character. You have access to information most people here don't. And that is appreciated by a lot of people here.

Enjoy it, embrace it, love it.

But don't piss on people and tell them it's raining.

The poster I was responding when I said "I've never labeled myself an insider" was mocking me for labeling myself an insider. I've never done so. Certain posters act like their stuff doesn't stink because they know stuff. I try to provide value to the board by giving info when I know it without betraying confidences. And yes, I don't post stuff I know too. Sometimes I have to make vague references or points because of that. Astute people can figure out what I'm saying when I don't say something directly. I'm sure you can understand that.

What you quoted above anyone who has been paying attention knows. It's obvious from what is public that the Moyer's were upset. It's obvious that Matt's body language wasn't great when he was getting yanked by JB and/ or ripped by him on the bench. What info do you need to see that?

I never claimed to be an "innocent observer" but a good chunk of things I talk about is readily available to anyone who pays attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom