2020 Transfer Thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

Interesting, this isn't a fifth year player.

To be clear, he’s entering the portal for the 2023 season which would be his 5th year. Ivy players who are getting the extra year by the NCAA are now announcing that they’re entering the portal upon graduation years in advance. I wonder if we reach a point where a kid like this goes into next season having 2 more years at Harvard with it being publicly known that he’s transferring to “school x” in 2023, basically like a committed HS Jr. It’d be awkward if Harvard ended up playing the school he’s eventually leaving for.

Hey CR glad to see you back and posting, didn't see you to much to start the season and was hoping you would be back. 7-10 is concerning but as you noted with the incoming frosh and size of the roster some turnover especially with Corona was inevitable. Hopefully we can keep the numbers at a minimum.
Good to have the time to add some comments. Work and kids occupying a lot of my time but now there is a little break, so I can fill it with some lax discussion

To be clear, he’s entering the portal for the 2023 season which would be his 5th year. Ivy players who are getting the extra year by the NCAA are now announcing that they’re entering the portal upon graduation years in advance. I wonder if we reach a point where a kid like this goes into next season having 2 more years at Harvard with it being publicly known that he’s transferring to “school x” in 2023, basically like a committed HS Jr. It’d be awkward if Harvard ended up playing the school he’s eventually leaving for.

I didn't even notice that, thanks for pointing it out. That makes the whole thing even more interesting. Kind of wild. What team makes a commitment like that two years from now with a one and done player?
I wonder how long this plays out for. Obviously kids can't visit campus right now. Do you just decide by talking to the coaches and the players you know? Rely on the campus visits you took in high school?

Also I think we keep forgetting the demand side of this equation. There are a lot of kids in the portal right now, regular transfers who might have wanted to transfer regardless of the season being canceled, DIII transfers, and of course fifth year guys who probably had no intention of transferring but now have to. Plus there are only so many schools who can allow grad transfers and many of them will have their own rosters impacted by 5th year players coming back.

Somewhat surprised at that. Goalie play wasn't a strength yet Petro stuck with Darby. despite heavy criticism. Didn't really have options . Expect new coach to have that position is up for grabs.

Portal has several good goalies in it and Petro was likely reaching out to them.

Not trying to help Blue Jays out but our Luke Strang lives forty minutes away and he is a good goalie that they should talk to.

how does this work? Schools go after him now for 2023? Please somebody shoot me. transfer insanity.

Interested to see what happens with Nanticoke.

A few weeks ago one of the posters on their board indicated that he wouldn't be surprised if Nanticoke didn't return as he is tight with a lot of the native players and most are leaving or not taking the extra year of eligibility. I assume the guy was talking about Patterson not coming back either.

A few weeks ago one of the posters on their board indicated that he wouldn't be surprised if Nanticoke didn't return as he is tight with a lot of the native players and most are leaving or not taking the extra year of eligibility. I assume the guy was talking about Patterson not coming back either.
Albany has Skidders and McComber in the transfer portal. I am not even sure their board realizes it yet.
Interested to see what happens with Nanticoke.

I wonder if Larson Sundown from Limestone is going to enter the portal? I assume he's a high D-1 talent.

Last edited:
I wonder if Larson Sundown from Limestone is going to enter the portal? I assume he's a high D-1 talent.

Its certainly possible but there is a glut of guys already in the transfer including dozens of D2 and D3 guys. Its a buyers market right now unless your a top end guy like a Sowers or Teat.

I expect Morrill will likely end up at Hop

I would definitely agree if not for their coaching situation being up in the air. Seems pretty telling that the 5th year guys at Hop both want to continue playing lacrosse but not at Hopkins. Even Concannon who is in his mid 40s still wants to play! Just not at hop. Even a transfer like Morrill who is a legacy may look elsewhere. Think hopkins will come to regret the timing of these changes.

I would definitely agree if not for their coaching situation being up in the air. Seems pretty telling that the 5th year guys at Hop both want to continue playing lacrosse but not at Hopkins. Even Concannon who is in his mid 40s still wants to play! Just not at hop. Even a transfer like Morrill who is a legacy may look elsewhere. Think hopkins will come to regret the timing of these changes.

Good points and I dont necessarily disagree but I think Hop is still a pretty likely candidate. If you look at the potential options there isn't a ton of schools that jump out if you assume Morrill wants to go a similar type of school academic wise. Duke appears to be pursuing Sowers and there doesn't appear to be an opening at either UNC or Cuse. UVA I guess is a possibility but if that article about finances is correct not sure there going to be a landing spot either. ND could make sense but does he want to go play in the midwest? Ohio State would make potential sense but again that's a big drop academically.

Good points and I dont necessarily disagree but I think Hop is still a pretty likely candidate. If you look at the potential options there isn't a ton of schools that jump out if you assume Morrill wants to go a similar type of school academic wise. Duke appears to be pursuing Sowers and there doesn't appear to be an opening at either UNC or Cuse. UVA I guess is a possibility but if that article about finances is correct not sure there going to be a landing spot either. ND could make sense but does he want to go play in the midwest? Ohio State would make potential sense but again that's a big drop academically.

I agree that Hopkins, despite not having a coach right now, is probably in the drivers seat as his father and grandfather both played there. And perhaps given that a number of players have decided to move on might help Hopkins since it might free up some money, or at the very least there won't be awkward personnel decisions needed to be made.

I sincerely hope Syracuse does not rule out Morrill, I could easily see Desko and co make room for a player of his caliber. On the surface I would be surprised that Morrill would be interested in SU, but I still feel like Syracuse has to be appealing for an alpha dog attackman looking to win a lot of games. The only thing that might help is that Yale has scrimmaged at Syracuse the last two years so at least he wouldn't be totally unfamiliar with the program/campus. But yes that is certainly stretching things and, I would put the betting money on him ending up a school closer to home. Perhaps Maryland if Bernhardt doesn't return? Though the Hopkins connection might make the awkward. I think Gray is the only untouchable attackman on UNC's roster. UVa has an opening with Kraus departing, but not allowing fifth years scholarship money might complicate things. I really think, if Duke does in fact land Sowers, they might be the only school who would pass on him. We shall see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom