2024 Schedule | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Schedule

Their board says this is a one off buy game for Hawaii.

It is a home game versus an away game. Hawaii also wants to play on week 0, which gives us a third bye.

It is clearly a better option than playing at UMass on 9/7.
I vote for game 13 FCS instead of three byes

8 home games

When Herm walked by my seats at the basketball games in Hawaii I regretted not stopping him to ask why no football game. Hawaii week 0 to start the Brown era is great and we can go there in a few years and play 13.

When Herm walked by my seats at the basketball games in Hawaii I regretted not stopping him to ask why no football game. Hawaii week 0 to start the Brown era is great and we can go there in a few years and play 13.
When I saw Herm (and JW) at MSG for the Oregon-SU basketball game a few years ago, I told them both to extend Dino. So it was my fault. I take the blame for that.

I think Army has finalized its list of opponents for next season, and ND is on it. There is a historical element involved, just like our game vs Pitt at Yankee Stadium. In 1924 Army-ND at Yankee Stadium was the game immortalized by Grantland Rice's essay dubbing the ND backfield "The Four Horsemen".
Yes, and the ND-Navy game at Giants Stadium is Navy's "home" game. When it's Navy's home game they always play in an usually-filled NFL stadium because the stadium in Annapolis doesn't hold the same size crowd as an NFL stadium will.

plus, they scored a td that I am sure the guy never got in the end zone. Years and years later, I'm, playing black jack at Foxwoods and who comes and sits down at my table but Flutie. We get to talking and I tell him that I think the guys name was struthers, never got in the end zone. Flutie says oh sure he did. Nice guy.
Here is a NY Times article on the game.

Syracuse, and some strong winds, frustrated Boston College's passing attack today, so Doug Flutie and his teammates turned to the running game and came away with a victory and an anticipated berth in the Cotton Bowl.

Flutie, who had been averaging 321 yards passing per game, completed 10 of 21 passes for only 136 yards today. But the Eagles ran for 270 yards - 81 of them by Flutie - in defeating Syracuse by 24-16 at Sullivan Stadium.

Afterward, John Conceison, Boston College's assistant sports information director, said the school had been told by Jim Brock, executive vice president of the Cotton Bowl, that it was the No. 1 choice, ''and they intend to invite us.''

Conceison said that Boston College ''indicated we'll accept'' when bids are officially extended next Saturday. The Eagles would play the Southwest Conference champion in the New Year's Day game.

Brock, reached by telephone, confirmed that ''our No. 1 choice right now is Boston College,'' but he would not acknowledge that a definitive decision had been made. Boston College, 7-2, plays Miami next Friday, but Brock said, ''I'm not too concerned about the Miami game.''

Flutie the Big Attraction

Flutie is clearly the big attraction for a bowl. Innovative and exciting, he is the leading career passer in major college history and the leading contender for the Heisman Trophy. ''I think anytime you have an opportunity to get the football player who's certainly an overwhelming favorite to win every top honor in football, that's a plus factor for any bowl,'' Brock said.

The Eagles moved 84 yards in 12 plays after taking the kickoff, with Flutie completing 3 passes in 3 attempts, all to the tight end Peter Casparriello, filling in for the injured Scott Gieselman. Steve Strachan, the fullback, plunged for the score from inches away.
But Syracuse, which finished at 6-5, came back to take a 10-7 lead at halftime. Harold Gayden scored on a 1-yard run moments after Ron Hobby intercepted a pass by Flutie on the Boston College 40. Don McAulay added a 31-yard field goal with two seconds left in the half.

Jack Bicknell, the Boston College coach, said that his team switched to a simplified attack in the second half.

''We tried different formations early, maybe we did too much,'' Bicknell said. ''Doug said at halftime, 'Coach, can we just calm down a little bit and get in a formation where I can recognize it?' ''
The Eagles moved to a 24-10 lead on a 5-yard scoring run by Troy Stradford, a 25-yard field goal by Kevin Snow and a 78-yard punt return by Kelvin Martin. On the drive leading to Snow's field goal, Flutie had runs of 23 and 28 yards.
Mike Kmetz brought Syracuse close again with a 49-yard touchdown pass to Scott Schwedes with 5 minutes 15 seconds left in the game. Syracuse sought to mount a drive moments later, but Tony Thurman, who came into the game leading the nation in interceptions, picked off his 10th pass of the season.

Here is a NY Times article on the game.

Syracuse, and some strong winds, frustrated Boston College's passing attack today, so Doug Flutie and his teammates turned to the running game and came away with a victory and an anticipated berth in the Cotton Bowl.

Flutie, who had been averaging 321 yards passing per game, completed 10 of 21 passes for only 136 yards today. But the Eagles ran for 270 yards - 81 of them by Flutie - in defeating Syracuse by 24-16 at Sullivan Stadium.

Afterward, John Conceison, Boston College's assistant sports information director, said the school had been told by Jim Brock, executive vice president of the Cotton Bowl, that it was the No. 1 choice, ''and they intend to invite us.''

Conceison said that Boston College ''indicated we'll accept'' when bids are officially extended next Saturday. The Eagles would play the Southwest Conference champion in the New Year's Day game.

Brock, reached by telephone, confirmed that ''our No. 1 choice right now is Boston College,'' but he would not acknowledge that a definitive decision had been made. Boston College, 7-2, plays Miami next Friday, but Brock said, ''I'm not too concerned about the Miami game.''

Flutie the Big Attraction

Flutie is clearly the big attraction for a bowl. Innovative and exciting, he is the leading career passer in major college history and the leading contender for the Heisman Trophy. ''I think anytime you have an opportunity to get the football player who's certainly an overwhelming favorite to win every top honor in football, that's a plus factor for any bowl,'' Brock said.

The Eagles moved 84 yards in 12 plays after taking the kickoff, with Flutie completing 3 passes in 3 attempts, all to the tight end Peter Casparriello, filling in for the injured Scott Gieselman. Steve Strachan, the fullback, plunged for the score from inches away.
But Syracuse, which finished at 6-5, came back to take a 10-7 lead at halftime. Harold Gayden scored on a 1-yard run moments after Ron Hobby intercepted a pass by Flutie on the Boston College 40. Don McAulay added a 31-yard field goal with two seconds left in the half.

Jack Bicknell, the Boston College coach, said that his team switched to a simplified attack in the second half.

''We tried different formations early, maybe we did too much,'' Bicknell said. ''Doug said at halftime, 'Coach, can we just calm down a little bit and get in a formation where I can recognize it?' ''
The Eagles moved to a 24-10 lead on a 5-yard scoring run by Troy Stradford, a 25-yard field goal by Kevin Snow and a 78-yard punt return by Kelvin Martin. On the drive leading to Snow's field goal, Flutie had runs of 23 and 28 yards.
Mike Kmetz brought Syracuse close again with a 49-yard touchdown pass to Scott Schwedes with 5 minutes 15 seconds left in the game. Syracuse sought to mount a drive moments later, but Tony Thurman, who came into the game leading the nation in interceptions, picked off his 10th pass of the season.
Strachen didn't get in the end zone.

Strachen didn't get in the end zone.
I love you that have this burning in your heart for almost 40 years.

Tried to find a video of this game. There are 3 or 4 BC games from that magical season (they went 10-2, which for BC is like an NC).

But I wasn't able to find SU-BC 1984.

Hopefully it surfaces someday.

I love you that have this burning in your heart for almost 40 years.

Tried to find a video of this game. There are 3 or 4 BC games from that magical season (they went 10-2, which for BC is like an NC).

But I wasn't able to find SU-BC 1984.

Hopefully it surfaces someday.
I told that to Flutie.

Why would you want to give our annually overly-injured team an additional game instead of a bye week? It makes no sense at all.
If you have three bye weeks trade one for a tune up. That was premised on playing Hawaii at home still gave a 13th game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom