Class of 2015 - A Trend '14&'15 maybe an insight into 2015 class | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 A Trend '14&'15 maybe an insight into 2015 class

Ottoble

Starter
I remember reading an article/post awhile back around signing day this year about HCSS where he talked about the 2014 class. Each of the guys that either played multiple positions in HS and/or played both ways he pointed it out specifically and noted that he loved it. Most of our recruits we have committed except a few OL play multiple positions on one side of the ball, play offense and defense or is a Multi sport excelling athlete. How many discussions have we had this year about "what position are we recruiting him at" "change the headline hes a DT" "wow glad hes gonna be a LB but he looks pretty good at RB also."

I think this staff sees that the best player on the field is the one HS coaches can't afford to take off the field regardless of who has the ball. Their stats don't often grade them out as high as some blue chippers that get stacks of offers because they play constantly but they are Capital F Capital P, Football Players.

Take guys that have been playing every down Both ways and in different positions and sports and give them a position/sport of focus, 50% more rest every game (40% maybe in an up tempo offense) as well as a deep understanding of the game and what the other side of the ball is trying to do and their development ceiling and on the field performance is going to be much much higher down the road than their HS positionS allowed them to reach. If you can learn and excel in multiple positions and keep both play books straight in HS you are also teachable which is so so important at the college level.

Not only all of this but it gives the team flexibility in case of injury a guy can stop gap take on a role with a weeks practice and fill in serviceably. Same goes for an offseason position change learning curve is much shorter and less complaining, they've played it before and these guys are generally "whatever keeps me on the field" guys.

i think this is an excellent example of over thinking something, or more precisely, utilizing post hoc reasoning.

i think this is an excellent example of over thinking something, or more precisely, utilizing post hoc reasoning.
I think there may be something to it, on the single point that you are more likely to find "unheralded" prospects if you go for superior athletes who haven't spent all their time training at one position. What I do not know is how common it is for high-level players to play both offense and defense, versus specializing and looking stellar at one position.

Ottoble said:
I remember reading an article/post awhile back around signing day this year about HCSS where he talked about the 2014 class. Each of the guys that either played multiple positions in HS and/or played both ways he pointed it out specifically and noted that he loved it. Most of our recruits we have committed except a few OL play multiple positions on one side of the ball, play offense and defense or is a Multi sport excelling athlete. How many discussions have we had this year about "what position are we recruiting him at" "change the headline hes a DT" "wow glad hes gonna be a LB but he looks pretty good at RB also." I think this staff sees that the best player on the field is the one HS coaches can't afford to take off the field regardless of who has the ball. Their stats don't often grade them out as high as some blue chippers that get stacks of offers because they play constantly but they are Capital F Capital P, Football Players. Take guys that have been playing every down Both ways and in different positions and sports and give them a position/sport of focus, 50% more rest every game (40% maybe in an up tempo offense) as well as a deep understanding of the game and what the other side of the ball is trying to do and their development ceiling and on the field performance is going to be much much higher down the road than their HS positionS allowed them to reach. If you can learn and excel in multiple positions and keep both play books straight in HS you are also teachable which is so so important at the college level. Not only all of this but it gives the team flexibility in case of injury a guy can stop gap take on a role with a weeks practice and fill in serviceably. Same goes for an offseason position change learning curve is much shorter and less complaining, they've played it before and these guys are generally "whatever keeps me on the field" guys.

Agree - throw in two, three sport athletes too. Wrestler? Get him. Basketball? Sign him up. Baseball? We'll take him too.

Most sports have qualities that crossover. I like a qb that plays db as well because he has a better understanding of how a secondary player will try and defend him. If he plays basketball, soccer, and/or hockey as well he'll have better vision of passing lanes and an understanding of how quickly they close but also seeing them before they open. I like lb's that play rb and rb's that play lb because they aren't going to shy away from contact and they will know the mindset of who is lining up across the ball from them. WR/DB that also plays basketball and volleyball? Yeah I trust them more tracking the ball in the air while positioning and jumping to high point the ball. Linemen that wrestle? Love the core strength and understanding or leverage and hand use. Kicker that plays soccer as well? Chances are he understands where and how hard to strike the ball for desired placement.

This is why I get frustrated by youth coaches that want kids to specialize at one sport/position at younger ages. Yeah little Timmy might help you look like a great coach on your freshman team but you could really be stunting their potential. Think about the kids throwing their arms out because their over zealous little league coach has them chucking curve balls at 12 years old while their parents have them playing the same sport year round and the like.

I think there may be something to it, on the single point that you are more likely to find "unheralded" prospects if you go for superior athletes who haven't spent all their time training at one position. What I do not know is how common it is for high-level players to play both offense and defense, versus specializing and looking stellar at one position.
Yeah that's what I was angling at don't know for sure it just seems like a trend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom