AJ Long will redshirt | Syracusefan.com

AJ Long will redshirt

A bit premature to make that statement isn't it? I mean I don't mind the plan, but as we saw last year that can change in a hurry. Kind of shocked that Spring/Pre-Season isn't an open competition.

Sounds like the staff likes the Walk-on JUCO enough at third string to do the redshirt. That's encouraging for 2 reasons - 1) it lets AJ physically develop further if his future role is at QB, and 2) if his future role isn't at QB, it gives him a full year to transition to that new role.

As long as Hunt stays healthy, its a good move, gives him the redshirt he should have had last year.

Wilson is as good as AJ if not better in this O. Aj looks like a child out there he needs to get stronger

I hope Hunt is at least average this year. Reduce the turnovers and complete 65% percent of his passes. Anything less or he gets injured early in the season and ... Oh my head.
I hope he is working hard and is ready to lead this team to a bowl.

A. We don't know what this O will look like
B. AJ is and always was better than Wilson
No AJ wasnt and isnt. He has a very weak arm and just doesnt have the strength to play at this level right now. Given a year to watch learn and get stronger i believe that he has a good upside but in this O you dont need to scramble you need to be in position to deliver the ball and Wilson has an arm that is better than of the QB's

cuseguy said:
Hunt better stay healthy.
Not worth worrying about. They're not winning with long this year

If they get a verbal from the QB from Jersey, might they move AJ. If so - to where?

No AJ wasnt and isnt. He has a very weak arm and just doesnt have the strength to play at this level right now. Given a year to watch learn and get stronger i believe that he has a good upside but in this O you dont need to scramble you need to be in position to deliver the ball and Wilson has an arm that is better than of the QB's
Everyone keeps saying Wilson has a great arm, but his accuracy on long throws was terrible, he still hasn't shown he can do anything at this level. The reason AJ had to play was Wilson, and Kimble didn't have the ability to move the ball, when they were in the game.

All of those kids were thrown to the wolves last year. I dont think that it is fair to judge any of them. They had an OC who was horrible, Injuries, unreal schedule, it was a complete cluster for all of them. I believe that the reason AJ is the one chosen to RS is multiple. A he does need to get stronger. He looks like a child out there makes Hunt look like a lineman. B he has talent and i believe that he is being groomed to start when Hunt graduates. C and this is a wild card he and Hunt seem to clash. It is clear that the staff is going to ride Hunt this year and i believe that AJ being out of the picture helps team unity. As to Wilson you can tell that he can throw the ball. Does he need to improve a ton yes of course but when it comes to a pure throwing motion and arm strength i believe he is head and shoulders above the rest.

kcsu said:

Coaches disagree with your assessment.

kcsu said:
What is their assessment

AJ was the true #2 last year and played over Austin when they were both available. Splitting time vs FSU was a disaster - mostly for Wilson.

They have AJ higher than Wilson.

A. We don't know what this O will look like
B. AJ is and always was better than Wilson

The only issue I have with B is that McF*** It's offense was completely wrong for Wilson's skillset. If we had a drop back passing pro-style offense, you might feel differently.

Everyone keeps saying Wilson has a great arm, but his accuracy on long throws was terrible, he still hasn't shown he can do anything at this level. The reason AJ had to play was Wilson, and Kimble didn't have the ability to move the ball, when they were in the game.

I thought that Wilson and Long were splitting reps until Wilson got levelled and couldn't play more so more reps were given to AJ. And it doesn't hurt that Wilson can't run in McNozzle's offense where there were so many personnel packages it was like changing lines in hockey. Who the hell could have succeeded in that mess.

I don't agree with this at all. I'm not sold this o-line can keep any of our QB's healthy and to redshirt him might be a recipe for disaster of Hunt goes down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom