Assistant Coach Possibilities | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Assistant Coach Possibilities

I am not usually a big fan of hiring mercenary coaches, but in this case, it actually makes sense. Hire some AAU guy, a head coach at one of these sham HS, or a handler, looking to make the jump to college. He gets 2-3 years of experience and then can move on should SU hire an external candidate to replace Boeheim.

As an aside, while i agree with the focus on recruiting connections, i am baffled why many here seem to be using it as an excuse for the current state of the program. We've had one class where we failed to pull in the guys we really wanted, and that class (2017) hasnt even hit campus yet.

any thoughts on asst.s dwayne stephens MSU ? kenny payne Kentucky ? brian blaney providence ?
if JB is leaving soon (2yrs) this would be an attractive bridge to HC.

Last edited:
I think the logical way to go is to hire outside of the SU family. JB needs to bring in someone with AAU connections like he did with Weaver and Murphy. Red is a very good recruiter but Gmac is not in the same league as Red and Hop. Maybe in time Gmac will get there but he's not there yet.

if you keep it in cuse family, Herman Harried, he has a ton of connections with the AAU market, if not Herman, go outside the box

Not a bad option based on his experience across brands / camps, but overlaps with AA in terms of core recruiting geography down in the DMV.

we need an assistant with recruiting ties. HermanHarried would fit that bill. I agree we cant promote within. If not Herman, you need to find a Troy Weaver

we need an assistant with recruiting ties. HermanHarried would fit that bill. I agree we cant promote within. If not Herman, you need to find a Troy Weaver
Do you know for a fact he has recruiting ties?

Herms name has come up before. I have raised it myself. But the word is he wouldn't be very good on the recruiting trail.

Allen Griffin

He and Red are best friends. Could be the incentive to leave Dayton and come back home.

Did not know that about Herman. He was mentioned in 2000 when we hired Weaver. This assistant hire is an important one. I know Griffin is a fan of cuse, however he may be tight with Archie Miller and not part ways?

Herms name has come up before. I have raised it myself. But the word is he wouldn't be very good on the recruiting trail.

I had thought Harried had been involved with USA Basketball, as well as Lebron and CP camps, among others. Not necessarily indicative of recruiting ability, but has the ties.

pipe dream (mentioned in jest in the 3 pm presser thread) that would never happen, but Jay Bilas. He and JB have good relationship, he seems to hate the NCAA almost as much as JB, could coach the big men, handle legal concerns, and would make a helluva impression in a recruit's house.

On a side note, though, would a "personality" who might want to get into coaching come here? Someone that recruits have seen on ESPN daily? Either someone who is no longer coaching (Seth Greenberg - loves JB) or someone who played and wants to get into coaching (Jay WIlliams)? No doubt the $$ wouldn't make sense, but just thinking outside the box here.

pipe dream (mentioned in jest in the 3 pm presser thread) that would never happen, but Jay Bilas. He and JB have good relationship, he seems to hate the NCAA almost as much as JB, could coach the big men, handle legal concerns, and would make a helluva impression in a recruit's house.

On a side note, though, would a "personality" who might want to get into coaching come here? Someone that recruits have seen on ESPN daily? Either someone who is no longer coaching (Seth Greenberg - loves JB) or someone who played and wants to get into coaching (Jay WIlliams)? No doubt the $$ wouldn't make sense, but just thinking outside the box here.
No need to think outside the box with this hire. Just open up the checkbook and hire somebody that will land you some studs.

No need to think outside the box with this hire. Just open up the checkbook and hire somebody that will land you some studs.

The value of the basketball program to the University and community cannot be measured - show someone the money!

I don't go as far back as most of you, but my impression is that "opening up the checkbook" would be a way outside the box move for SUAD

few people have been a better recruiter nationally for the last 25 years than Lorenzo Romar. He's available & might be motivated to outshine the dude who took his old job

I don't think we are going to see Jay Bilas at SU any time soon. His salary at ESPN is $2 million and he is an attorney in Charlotte, NC where he resides. The check book would have to be opened very wide for him to even think about changing his life at this point.

If Allen Griffin is available I believe he'd be a great get to assist JB the way HOP did and the check book would still need to be open wide. But, to get some 4 and 5 star recruits the way we used to each year Wildhack might just need to consider filling the position with a man like Griffin. For those of you who are doubting JB's fitness, health and competitiveness at 72 play the video and listen to the new AD talk about JB and where he wants to go with the program.

• image_handler.aspx

Allen Griffin
Assistant Coach

Phone: (937) 229-4451
Email: agriffin1@udayton.edu

Allen Griffin enters his fifth season on the University of Dayton men’s basketball staff. Griffin has 14 years experience in Division I basketball, including four seasons as a standout point guard at Syracuse University.

“Allen is extremely talented, not only as a coach, but as a role model,” UD Head Coach Archie Miller said. “He really fits into our basketball program’s mission of the total development of our players, as well as the mentoring of young people as it relates to the University of Dayton as a whole. We are extremely excited to add him to our staff and look forward to his making an impact immediately.”

Griffin captained the Orangemen as a senior in 2000-01, when he averaged 10.8 points and 6.5 assists, ranking seventh all-time in school history for assists in a season. He had 409 assists in his career. Griffin played 133 games for the Orangemen and was a part of four NCAA Tournament teams. His Orange teams combined for a 98-36 record in that span (a .731 winning percentage).

After graduating from Syracuse in 2001, Griffin played professionally in Slovenia for a year, and worked as a teacher and girls basketball coach at Christian Brothers Academy for one season. In 2003, he returned to Syracuse to work on Jim Boeheim’s staff as an administrative assistant. After two years in that position, he took an assistant coaching position at St. Francis (NY) for the 2005-06 campaign.

Following his first year at St. Francis, Griffin coached at Providence for two seasons before returning to St. Francis for another two years. Last year, he coached at Hofstra under former Flyer assistant coach Mo Cassara, helping the Dutchmen to a 21-12 record and a return to the post season.

His responsibilities at his coaching stops have included recruiting, on-court coaching, travel planning, scheduling, game preparation and assisting in monitoring academics.

“I feel very fortunate and honored to be a part of coach Miller’s staff here at the University of Dayton and I’ll work my hardest to continue to add to our great basketball tradition,” Griffin said. “I played in the Arena during the NCAA tournament and it was an unbelievable atmosphere. Everyone I’ve talked to about coming here has had nothing but great things to say about Dayton basketball and I’m excited to be a part of it.”

A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., Griffin attended Paul Robeson High School, where he earned high school All-America honors as a senior in 1996-97.

I don't think we are going to see Jay Bilas at SU any time soon. His salary at ESPN is $2 million and he is an attorney in Charlotte, NC where he resides. The check book would have to be opened very wide for him to even think about changing his life at this point.

If Allen Griffin is available I believe he'd be a great get to assist JB the way HOP did and the check book would still need to be open wide. But, to get some 4 and 5 star recruits the way we used to each year Wildhack might just need to consider filling the position with a man like Griffin. For those of you who are doubting JB's fitness, health and competitiveness at 72 play the video and listen to the new AD talk about JB and where he wants to go with the program.
Is it Red time?

Jay Williams is an interesting name. I'm not sure how he would even do, but someone of his ilk might jazz things up a bit. He's from Jersey, he has a national persona, has many connections. I find it interesting.

Who will be Syracuse's next basketball assistant? Jim Boeheim lists criteria

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Jim Boeheim will not interview candidates for his vacated assistant coaching position. He tried that once, he said, and realized after three interviews, he liked all three possibilities.

Instead, he will simply make a decision on who to hire to replace Mike Hopkins. Or more precisely, to hire a third assistant coach who likely will be charged with coaching SU's big men.
Boeheim seemed to suggest on Monday that the ability to recruit might be secondary to the ability to coach, to being "emotional," to "being a good teacher."

Well, not sure that sounds all that good

What we need is a recruiter, JB. i don't like hearing JB talk about how great a recruiter GMac is, because that has yet to materialize. We need a proven guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom