Bazley Decommits | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Bazley Decommits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, how close was Bazley to Moyer? Both are from Ohio...wonder if they formed a close bond and maybe part of the reasoning to this decision.

Lurked for 10 years. Felt the need to post.

Best of luck to this young man. Cuse fans should have no ill will. He made a decision that he thought was in his best interest. Yeah it sucks for us, but we're not him. We're not his family. Let's hope he made the best decision for himself. Congratulate the young man if you can, and let's move on. Future is promising.

There should be ill will. He backed out of a commitment. That *exactly* what happens when you break an important commitment. People go to far on twitter, but in this case I actually think it’s fair to say “hey, this sucked for us”... we’ll get over it, eventually.

I typically stick up for kids who leave college early or decommit at an early date for another school. But in those cases, there are discussions or more warnings.

I’d buy that if the team had his rights. They don’t. So to the extent the G League coaches are invested in developing these guys why a kid like this? And also they’re on busses half the week going to games. In college it’s one overnight or two a week and hoops from noon on.
Also we have private charters for all our away games so they’re back pretty quickly. Would seem to be fun to be treated like a king on campus and get all those perks. 30k fans etc. I’d think that should help prepare the guys a little for nba atmospheres too.

I remember once Hakim complaining that they were having lobster or filet again for dinner in their private dining room. Still laugh about that. What 18 year old boy doesn’t want all the perks and ladies fawning over them? But I digress.

I’m not sure why so many posters are obsessed with having to ride the bus. I rode a bus for ten years. It really wasn’t that nightmarish an experience.

When the travel alternative is a private jet and getting somewhere 80% faster. Baseball players seem to use the bus as something to avoid.

And it cuts into this myth that these guys are in a lab practicing their craft like some 15 year old owned by Real Madrid. They are spending the better part of days on busses and meh hotels.

Last edited:
I agree that he should have but, honestly, he doesn't owe us anything. All he's gotten from us is a paid visit & promise of a scholarship, both of which were available to him from numerous schools. I would've liked to see him inform the staff before going public but that's really just semantics. It's rumored that this has been an option "for months" but, for all we know, he could've just finalized his decision this week. I just can't fault a kid for doing what he thinks is in his best personal interest, however misguided that may (or may turn out to) be...not saying that you are, I haven't followed this thread close enough to know.

Staff was blindsided. Just cause some guy on Twitter said it was rumored doesn't make it so.

One more question, did Bazley say this as a verbal going to the G league or did he actually sign a document/contract?

I know Bazley is not thinking about this but to put in perspective, Bazley won’t be making making more than 26k next year, a Syracuse education for one year is worth around 55k. Say god forbid he gets hurt and then needs to go to school, he could have had a 55k education but chose that 26k for one year...what he is doing is extremely risky. Definitely high reward but I’m not just saying this from a Syracuse fan perspective but there is a reason he is the first kid to do this and he will probably be one of very few to ever pull this move. It just makes zero sense but his life.

I have a feeling this is not going to end the way he sees it ending. He is talented, for sure, but so is every single guy in the G league. Trey Burke was one of the most talented in that league and yet he is fighting to start on the Knicks, of all teams. He will have to play SF (SG?) in the NBA and he is so far away from being able to guard those guys right now. IMO, he should have gone his one year, played well, got 1st round lottery money, and if he is really good enough, get that second contract. If he isn't good enough, he will have 26k per year and not much more...For him, I think college for a year would have been a better business decision. He is risking a lot.

I don’t follow the NBA and don’t know much about the G League so I have some questions for anyone that knows something about this.

So I read that the G League has a draft which is how Bazley will get on a team. Since these teams are affiliates of NBA teams, would the NBA eligible players be owned by the parent team of the team that drafts them? If not, what percentage of players on a G League team are under contract with the parent club and how many are unaffiliated?

If the parent club owns the rights to most of the players on a team why would they give playing time to or spend time developing a kid that’s going into the draft the following year and will most likely end up with a different NBA team?

I read that Battle and his people planned on him being a one and done but obviously after last year he wasn’t going to be a first round pick so he came back to school. What does Bazley do if he has growing pains and has a poor year? Does he just go into the draft and possibly get picked in the second round or not at all? Would he not enter the draft and go back to the G League for another year as an unaffiliated player?

Is there anything more exciting than playing against the Greensboro Swarm in a sold out Greensboro Coliseum Fieldhouse in front of 2,500 fans?

What to expect after Bazley's G-League Decision

Is the future promising? It was. Is it now?

Exactly. Next year was a seize the moment kind of year for JB and the program.

Provided we don’t lose any more players, with the exception of Battle, it’s likely another year similar to this past season. We’ll likely lose a number of players after next year, including Chukwu, Brissett, Howard and possibly Carey (he’s itchy to be a one and done). And who knows what Dolezaj might do if he has a good year.

So we could return about 5-6 players with the need to bring 5-6 players in the ‘19 class.

So we’ll be raw and young. And so you see why losing an elite player is a big deal.

Out of curiosity, how close was Bazley to Moyer? Both are from Ohio...wonder if they formed a close bond and maybe part of the reasoning to this decision.
Moyer has nothing to do with this

Exactly. Next year was a seize the moment kind of year for JB and the program.

Provided we don’t lose any more players, with the exception of Battle, it’s likely another year similar to this past season. We’ll likely lose a number of players after next year, including Chukwu, Brissett, Howard and possibly Carey (he’s itchy to be a one and done). And who knows what Dolezaj might do if he has a good year.

So we could return about 5-6 players with the need to bring 5-6 players in the ‘19 class.

So we’ll be raw and young. And so you see why losing an elite player is a big deal.
We could arguably have 1 elite player in OB. 3 really, really good players in Marek, Jalen, and Frank. If Chukwu can take that next step he goes into the "really, really good" category. We can all see the potential in Bourama if he can get his knee right. I don't know much about Hughes, but if the rave practice reviews are true, he could be a difference maker.

All in all, the roster next year (assuming no more defections) will be better than this year. Losing Battle is huge - but we have a handful of guys that will most likely make leaps.

With that being said, I think we were a top 10 team with Bazley. Without him? I still think we can be top 20. Chances are even if Bazley came, OB would still be the leading scorer. The backline of OB/PC/MlD won us 3 tournament games this year. As long as everyone else comes back (I'm counting Battle as gone) we will still be a threat

With Baz we are top 20 possibly better. Without top 40 not bad but not great. Carey will now become our second option after Briz

I wish people would stop with the "he should honor his commitment" comments. He was playing the game, as were we. He discovered what he thinks is a better move in the game so he made it.

If he has a good personal relationship with the staff, I hope he called them. Other than that, he should be thinking only of what's best for him and his family.

Anyone who thinks our beloved players are doing anything more than they have to to get to the NBA is naive.

I know most of my connections are on the football side - but I'll say this from what I was told. This absolutely came out of nowhere. Anyone saying that this was a Moyer issue or JB's fault is just simply wrong. Just throwing my two cents in there.

Na but took the time to scrub every picture that had Syracuse in it from his Instagram account
WOW. I’m shocked that he’s said nothing publicly about Syracuse, JB, or Griffin. When kids decide to transfer or re-open up their commitment, typically the recruits thank the school’s coaches and fans for supporting them and recruiting them, etc. The fact that he’s doing the opposite is mind-boggling. Not sure what it says about JB and the staff, but it certainly says a lot about Bazley.

I wish people would stop with the "he should honor his commitment" comments. He was playing the game, as were we. He discovered what he thinks is a better move in the game so he made it.

If he has a good personal relationship with the staff, I hope he called them. Other than that, he should be thinking only of what's best for him and his family.

Anyone who thinks our beloved players are doing anything more than they have to to get to the NBA is naive.
I respectfully disagree about the commitment. He signed a written agreement, a promise if you will. In my eyes, he broke that promise. Is it his right to change his mind? Sure, no argument there. To me, its about keeping your word. Many will disagree. I know he is doing what he thinks is best for him, it may be, I don't know, I don't know his situation. But, I do feel that he broke a written promise. Just my two cents.

With Baz we are top 20 possibly better. Without top 40 not bad but not great. Carey will now become our second option after Briz
Think you’re off here. Top 10 with Bazley; Top 20 without (assuming only Battle leaves). OB, Carey, Frank and Marek should all average more than 10ppg

WOW. I’m shocked that he’s said nothing publicly about Syracuse, JB, or Griffin. When kids decide to transfer or re-open up their commitment, typically the recruits thank the school’s coaches and fans for supporting them and recruiting them, etc. The fact that he’s doing the opposite is mind-boggling. Not sure what it says about JB and the staff, but it certainly says a lot about Bazley.
Kids do that to save face since they want to be re-recruited. Bazley has no motivation there

So if Bazely can get some significant endorsement $ and play in the G League, why the hell is Zion going to college who is 10x more marketable and higher projected.

There are 4-5 guys in that class who could really get paid big $. Why don’t they?
Kids value different things

I respectfully disagree about the commitment. He signed a written agreement, a promise if you will. In my eyes, he broke that promise. Is it his right to change his mind? Sure, no argument there. To me, its about keeping your word. Many will disagree. I know he is doing what he thinks is best for him, it may be, I don't know, I don't know his situation. But, I do feel that he broke a written promise. Just my two cents.
Signing the commitment was something he was forced to do. I would completely understand if it was insignificant to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom