Bazley Decommits | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Bazley Decommits

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not an NCAA rule. It is an NBA rule. The NCAA has no power to change anything about it.
The NCAA does have the power though to make it more appealing to be in school, and they don't seem very interested in doing that. Maybe something like this changes their motivation on that.

I agree that he should have but, honestly, he doesn't owe us anything. All he's gotten from us is a paid visit & promise of a scholarship, both of which were available to him from numerous schools. I would've liked to see him inform the staff before going public but that's really just semantics. It's rumored that this has been an option "for months" but, for all we know, he could've just finalized his decision this week. I just can't fault a kid for doing what he thinks is in his best personal interest, however misguided that may (or may turn out to) be...not saying that you are, I haven't followed this thread close enough to know.
I respectfully disagree. He signed an LOI to play here and we stopped recruiting other players. It’s called loyalty and your word. The staff planned to have him playing forward next season and now they’re left high and dry because Bazley gets some new notions put in his head and flakes out on his commitment.

I wish people would stop with the "he should honor his commitment" comments. He was playing the game, as were we. He discovered what he thinks is a better move in the game so he made it.

If he has a good personal relationship with the staff, I hope he called them. Other than that, he should be thinking only of what's best for him and his family.

Anyone who thinks our beloved players are doing anything more than they have to to get to the NBA is naive.

Care to expound on the bolded statement a bit more?

Because I think that is a pretty big generalization.

There are surely kids that care about the school they are at. (Basically our entire team playing hurt this year - think that helped them get to the NBA?)

They care about the communities they are in. (Players often volunteer their time at different charity events or at community resource-type places.)

They care about their teammates. (From kids who sat bench but where huge cheerleaders like Moyer, DaJuan Coleman, etc.)

I can think of way more examples of guys showing the exact opposite of what you just stated. And even if that were not the case, it doesn't mean that we all shouldn't be striving to be better people, with great character.

He needs to learn how to dribble better, stop dipsy doing every time he goes to the hole, finish better, learn when to take it all the way in and when to just stop and shoot and work on those short shots and maybe a floater.

There. That’s it. No need to go to the combine.
He wouldn't go to the combine unless he was invited.
It would just give him the opportunity to try out with several different teams.

There are surely kids that care about the school they are at. (Basically our entire team playing hurt this year - think that helped them get to the NBA?)

They care about the communities they are in. (Players often volunteer their time at different charity events or at community resource-type places.)

They care about their teammates. (From kids who sat bench but where huge cheerleaders like Moyer, DaJuan Coleman, etc.)

I can think of way more examples of guys showing the exact opposite of what you just stated. And even if that were not the case, it doesn't mean that we all shouldn't be striving to be better people, with great character.

I think maybe he's saying that we all Bleed Orange. Every season the roster changes but we love our 'Cuse.

These kids pick their college because of playing style, coaching, exposure, promixity to home, etc. But mostly, which college can get them to the NBA? Rarely do these kids bleed Orange before they step on campus (same with UK, Duke, UNC, etc). Once they leave most of them will feel as we do about SU, but someone in Bazley's position wants to get to the NBA as quick as possible - he saw Syracuse as his vehicle to do so, which now has switched to the G-League.

We all say Moyer bleeds Orange, but he left (which is fine). But I think as fans we have to realize that most players don't regard programs as highly as their fans see them. Yeah it would be great if we had a kid who grew up a massive Syracuse fan, came here, stayed for all 4 years just because he loved SU, then went to the NBA; but that's not the case.

Do we think Tyus went from "loving" Michigan to loving Syracuse within a matter of days? No, his family talked about what place would be best for him. And now he'll go to the NBA, and us Syracuse fans will move onto Jalen Carey because although we care about how our guys do on the next level, our priority is Syracuse basketball next year.

He wasn't forced to do anything. He could have not signed if he was planning to do this
So let's assume he's an a-hole. Or maybe he wasn't planning to do it when he signed. Could that be it?

You're saying an incoming freshman who hasn't even been to one college practice is going to be a second scoring option over a returning senior who averaged almost 15 pt per game? Uh...no.
You mean like Bris? Yes i am.

You're saying an incoming freshman who hasn't even been to one college practice is going to be a second scoring option over a returning senior who averaged almost 15 pt per game? Uh...no.

Probably.

I remember somebody tried to argue that Carmelo would come off the bench because we had a Senior Kueth Duany who averaged double figures the previous year.

Sorry. I was exaggerating.

I realize players probably brush their teeth even though it isn't helping them get to the NBA so yes, it was a big generalization. They can be a good, giving people and do wonderful things. Then when someone says they'll get drafted in the first round, bubye.

With Baz we are top 20 possibly better. Without top 40 not bad but not great. Carey will now become our second option after Briz
Disagree.

Option A - Oshae
Option B - Frank
Option C - likely Elijah Hughes

Players to be used to get A-C open looks, and in turn will get their own buckets-

Carey, Dolezaj, Sidibe, HW, Buddy.

We may be in a unique situation where we do not necessarily have to rely on Jalen Carey to be a double digit scorer. He may well be that good regardless. But our non freshman should be able to carry the heavier load.

At this point, this teams still not nearly as shallow as last years team.

Ideally, Hughes or Dolezaj take over B from Frank.

I gotta say I was always turned off by Bazley's instagram handle which was "league-me," for the longest time. He literally only cares about playing in the NBA and being rich. He talks about it on almost every post. As others have noted, he had no sense of loyalty to Syracuse. This is different than Quade who we messed up on, and should have recruited around, but the effects are similar. We are left with a major hole in the roster, and haven't done the leg work on other potential players. Since the moment I found this out, I have been crushed, as I was so amped for next year. Gonna take a while for the sting of this to wear off.

I gotta say I was always turned off by Bazley's instagram handle which was "league-me," for the longest time. He literally only cares about playing in the NBA and being rich. He talks about it on almost every post. As others have noted, he had no sense of loyalty to Syracuse. This is different than Quade who we messed up on, and should have recruited around, but the effects are similar. We are left with a major hole in the roster, and haven't done the leg work on other potential players. Since the moment I found this out, I have been crushed, as I was so amped for next year. Gonna take a while for the sting of this to wear off.

“NbaBaze” says it all right there. Kid saw dollar signs and couldnt resist

I will be absolutely shocked if Frank isnt our second leading scorer. He will avg 15-20

If he doesnt need to be a 15 per game guard, it means at least two of Dolezaj/Sidibe/Carey/Hughes/Hw had stepped up to become scoring threats.

Fortunately I already see three names above where I’d think the probability of so happening is decent to high.

I’d love to see Frank average 12 7 assists and 4 boards

He’s capable, and hopefully now he has the shooters.

We need a post scorer like a fish needs water.

I wish people would stop with the "he should honor his commitment" comments. He was playing the game, as were we. He discovered what he thinks is a better move in the game so he made it.

If he has a good personal relationship with the staff, I hope he called them. Other than that, he should be thinking only of what's best for him and his family.

Anyone who thinks our beloved players are doing anything more than they have to to get to the NBA is naive.
Lookin out for #1–that’s the American Way.

Last edited:
Disagree.

Option A - Oshae
Option B - Frank
Option C - likely Elijah Hughes

Players to be used to get A-C open looks, and in turn will get their own buckets-

Carey, Dolezaj, Sidibe, HW, Buddy.

We may be in a unique situation where we do not necessarily have to rely on Jalen Carey to be a double digit scorer. He may well be that good regardless. But our non freshman should be able to carry the heavier load.

At this point, this teams still not nearly as shallow as last years team.

Ideally, Hughes or Dolezaj take over B from Frank.
The kid is a pure scorer. Hope you are right because if he is less than our third option we are going to be really good.

I’m not sure why so many posters are obsessed with having to ride the bus. I rode a bus for ten years. It really wasn’t that nightmarish an experience.
I've taken a bus long distance twice. Never, ever again. I hope they have special buses made for 7' tall people. I don't fit in a greyhound and I'm average height and skinny.

“NbaBaze” says it all right there. Kid saw dollar signs and couldnt resist
You know what also bothers me. Apparently his HS coach was close to Griff. Allen had been recruiting him for a long time. For them not to give AG the courtesy of at least a conversation before a yahoo article comes out, well... that’s as low as possible. There was no rush. He could have waited a few days and made sure SU knew first.

The kid is a pure scorer. Hope you are right because if he is less than our third option we are going to be really good.
Yes, but he’s a senior in highschool. If we have an opportunity to allow the game to come to him and let him find his role then we should take it.

He is a fantastic recruit and it’d be a shame to put the same pressure on him that we put on Oshae. Let him develop his freshman year, like Battle did his.

What about the guys that did come here and then told them they weren’t good enough to play here and showed them the door. Buss, BJ, Kaleb, Chinoso, then Thorpe comes and doesn’t get run. We expect 100% loyalty but don’t give it out, or only give it to worthy players.

Mine is probably an unpopular take: they're all wrong.

Well-paid coaches who recruit kids based on personal relationships and then bounce to take a somewhat better paying job. They're wrong.

Boeheim (or Calhoun or whoever else) running off a bunch of kids because they aren't developing fast enough. Wrong.

Bazley not honoring his word. Wrong.

Common thread here seems to be greed. People who have got (or will soon have) everything they need want a little bit more.

I have to say I'm exactly the opposite. I've learned not to get too high on recruits until I physically see them wearing an SU uniform on the dome floor.

Ya, same. First, ridiculous things happen and there's no sense getting hopes up for a team until we see who's in school and healthy next November. Second, people who were banking on a top-ten season and Final Four because of a good recruit were out of their minds. It's probably more likely that this kid was going to adapt slowly and struggle with the pace and physicality and the team wasn't going to play to their expectations. Donte Greene and Chris McCullough say hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom