Bazley Decommits | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Bazley Decommits

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NCAA does have the power though to make it more appealing to be in school, and they don't seem very interested in doing that. Maybe something like this changes their motivation on that.
Unless that includes not having to go to class. It won't matter. The guys that want to skip don't understand the benefits of the education they have the opportunity to recieve. They only want to play ball. It isn't simply about paying players.

Agents are all over all the top kids and their families from the time they're in middle school. Most of them probably pitch the "traditional" route: shoe company takes care of player and family in AAU, agent loans money to get player to get through one year of college, player expected to sign with agent before draft. It's worked well enough for the players for years, so most top players probably don't want to rock the boat. Maybe an agent approached Bazley's family with an alternative route (G-League), they didn't dismiss it out of hand, Bazley goes to McD game and finds out he's not being as well taken care of as other top 10 players, his buddy Moyer is leaving, agent tells him his profile will be even higher by being the trailblazer and - boom - here we are.

A few thoughts after sleeping on this...

I'm not sure how this will affect Bazley's career arc, but this seems like the riskiest path of securing the highest possible draft slot.

A year of college with a high-profile program likely contending for a national championship would seem to provide the greatest exposure and draft upside.

Playing a year overseas while waiting to become draft eligible, as several current NBA players have done recently, would have allowed him to develop essentially in anonymity while getting paid to play. Even if he didn't put up impressive numbers in that scenario, there would still be an air of mystery about his potential, and the NBA interest would probably still be strong.

By taking the G-League route, he will essentially be a boy going up against men, including a lot of fringe NBA players on their way up or down, as well as numerous highly skilled and accomplished former college stars who haven't quite made it to the NBA for one reason or another. Playing in that setting, under close scrutiny of NBA teams, any weaknesses and limitations in his game will quickly be exposed. Of course, he might also shine in the G-League environment and still secure a high draft slot, but the risk of having the bloom come off the rose seems greater compared to playing a year in college or overseas.

Last edited:

I'm not sure how this will affect Bazley's career arc, but this seems like the riskiest path of securing the highest possible draft slot.

A year of college with a high-profile program likely contending for a national championship would seem to profide the greatest expose and draft upside.

Playing a year overseas while waiting to become draft eligible, as several current NBA players have done recently, would have allowed him to develop essentially in anonymity while getting paid to play. Even if he didn't put up impressive numbers in that scenario, there would still be an air of mystery about his potential, and the NBA interest would probably still be strong.

By taking the G-League route, he will essentially be a boy going up against men, including a lot of fringe NBA players on their way up or down, as well as numerous highly skilled and accomplished former college stars who haven't quite made it to the NBA for one reason or another. Playing in that setting, under close scrutiny of NBA teams, any weaknesses and limitations in his game will quickly be exposed. Of course, he might also shine in the G-League environment and still secure a high draft slot, but the risk of having the bloom come off the rose seems greater compared to playing a year in college or overseas.
Good points. I wonder how much different the level of play and physicality is between Europe and G-league.

Good points. I wonder how much different the level of play and physicality is between Europe and G-league.
If I recall, many of the kids who did the HS -> 1 year in Europe -> NBA Draft route really struggled over there statistically. However, it didn't seem to effect their draft statuses a whole lot.

The question would be, like br801 pointed out, by being in the G-League - all the scouts and teams will see you up close - there is less guess work involved than going to Europe; which I suppose could be a plus as well.

Bazley doesn’t realize the harsh reality of what is going to be presented in front of him. He is an impulive young man who will always regret this decision not to go to college to grow up

Bazley doesn’t realize the harsh reality of what is going to be presented in front of him. He is an impulive young man who will always regret this decision not to go to college to grow up
I have no idea if any of this is true.

All I know is, I can't possibly fathom why any kid would pass up an opportunity to be a stud on a college campus for a year while playing major college basketball in order to instead play in the G-League. It blows my mind.

A year of college with a high-profile program likely contending for a national championship would seem to profide the greatest exposure and draft upside.

He's also going to be playing on a team with guys gunning for a spot in the NBA. His flaws will be exposed quickly and can damage his stock whereas he could feast on college players in the zone, hide his flaws and fool a GM into taking him into the lottery.

Unless that includes not having to go to class. It won't matter. The guys that want to skip don't understand the benefits of the education they have the opportunity to recieve. They only want to play ball. It isn't simply about paying players.
Eh, I think that's true in some cases, but not all.

I have no idea if any of this is true.

All I know is, I can't possibly fathom why any kid would pass up an opportunity to be a stud on a college campus for a year while playing major college basketball in order to instead play in the G-League. It blows my mind.
I think we can take him at his word - he wanted to be a pioneer.

And there's $$$ involved.

Seems like the new poster child for what’s wrong with college basketball.

The kid has no interest in school and wants to play professionally. He is taking the path that is correct for him, pursuing playing professionally now. More kids that aren’t interested in academics should take this route. Sucks for us because we were led to believe he’d be part of our program next year, but if more of the kids take this path it should have a stabilizing effect on college basketball within a couple of years. I would think after a handful of kids do this, kids that are interested won’t commit to collleges first anymore.

DZi-5JLXUAAaWrI.jpg

giphy.gif

You mean like Bris? Yes i am.

It's truly amazing how some people think an incoming freshman, not even a top 30 or 5-star guy, will somehow leap frog over a returning senior as a second scoring option on a team that returns as many veteran guys as we do. Where's the evidence? His play in high school? He's going to be a good complementary player, which is fine for a freshman. If he averages 8-10 it will be very helpful. SMH.

Can we stop this madness that somehow six months at SU will result in him "growing up." You make it sound like he's going to spend 5 years in the Marines or something.

Bozoley not the first player to make the jump to the G/D league

This guy beat him by about 10 years...yeah I never heard of him either.

Latavious Williams - Wikipedia
Technically Bazley will be the first 5-star recruit. The first kid who was projected as a lotto pick to skip college for the G-League

Eh, I think that's true in some cases, but not all.
I get it. You want the players paid. I think you know that I don't. I think the tuition, room/board, and stipends they recieve is plenty. Regardless, if they paid the players, it wouldn't be enough to dissuade someone looking at first round money. I can't imagine it would be a whole lot more than what is offered in the g-league or europe either, so, if a guy isn't interested in school, he still wouldn't have the incentive. Either a person sees the benefits of investing in higher education or they don't.

He's also going to be playing on a team with guys gunning for a spot in the NBA. His flaws will be exposed quickly and can damage his stock whereas he could feast on college players in the zone, hide his flaws and fool a GM into taking him into the lottery.

tricking GM's into drafting you is what sucks about the current draft process

Dated 3/7/2018... the full story:

How Syracuse's Jim Boeheim would attempt to fix college basketball

Leave it to Jimmy to put the proverbial foot-in-mouth.

Typical he says this and his 5-star best-recruit-in-years then decommits goes off and does exactly this...:oops: JB has to be fuming.

His first public comments are prolly going to be priceless. You know the local reporter asking will be derailled as stupid and take the brunt of his anger...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors