Benny is back | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Benny is back

I agree with the sentiment of this. And a lot of the substance. But a ’fan’ wanting to know about a player’s injury is not the same as wanting to know about a student’s illness or disease. In pro sports, we have injury reports and disclosures at a certain level because they are related to the enterprise of competition, and players surrender a certain level of privacy. College athletes have a higher level of that sort of protection, but just as no one is entitled to know about a pro’s colitis but are given info about sprains, hamate fractures, and groin pulls, it’s not out of line for a college fan to want to know if an athlete had a meniscus procedure. If/when collegiate rules block such disclosures, that’s fine and I don’t see anyone knowingly breaking those rules. People just don’t know them. After 35 years, I don’t know them because sometimes we get the info and sometimes we don’t.
Now that the legalization of betting on college sports is more prolific, in addition to the fact that college athletes are now being "paid", it's probably time for more transparency in the reporting of injuries in college sports. Pros, also, for that matter. There are too many instances of athletes being held out at the last second, or actually suiting up, all in the name of gamesmanship.

I know the details also. But bottom line, is I don't need to know them as it is none of my business. Someone told me the details. I don't know what every student at SU is doing. Yes, some here are invested in the program by spending money to go to games, but a player and a student has a right to privacy, and there are laws regarding this. I also laugh when a poster wants to know the specifics about an injury. Try finding out about your own kid who went to the infirmary on campus. Guess what, you can't unless they tell you themselves. And that is how the privacy laws work. But I really try not to make any personal remarks about a college student. Seriously that is a form of bullying. And with that, I am out of this conversation, because it shouldn't even exist on here.
It should exist because he put himself in a position for it to exist, but it doesn’t mean we need to know the details just that he is back and I’m happy he is back.
Hopefully he puts this behind him and moves forward

Mine either, hell I’d be ok if maybe 5% tops of my life was public.

But there is responsibility with being a top recruit going to a basketball powerhouse.

It’s very difficult for me to sympathize for him or any athlete that set themselves back by things they choose to do.

Being immature isn’t an awful thing, hell I’m probably the most immature person anywhere I go, but he has a gift and got into a spot where he could coast into the NBA, when he signed did you think he would even be here now let alone having issue after issue?
Not to mention they are professionals now by any metric. The excuse of being a college student imo is gone.

If you want to get paid you have to follow the rules more so than before.

The players want to be compensated and treated like pros, they have to act like pros. Benny has performed poorly and is also flaking out to the point of being suspended. That warrants negative attention from the fan base. And to say “but they are just a poor hapless college kid and we are nobodies” doesn’t fly anymore in a world where that fanbase is being asked to foot the bill for player salaries through NIL on top of all the standard costs of fandom.

I know the details also. But bottom line, is I don't need to know them as it is none of my business. Someone told me the details. I don't know what every student at SU is doing. Yes, some here are invested in the program by spending money to go to games, but a player and a student has a right to privacy, and there are laws regarding this. I also laugh when a poster wants to know the specifics about an injury. Try finding out about your own kid who went to the infirmary on campus. Guess what, you can't unless they tell you themselves. And that is how the privacy laws work. But I really try not to make any personal remarks about a college student. Seriously that is a form of bullying. And with that, I am out of this conversation, because it shouldn't even exist on here.
Ehhh I think Benny has been treated rather well by the fans compared to other players we’ve had and this is about the third time he’s done something to frustrate the fans which includes leaving the team last year and ripping his jersey mid game.

The players want to be compensated and treated like pros, they have to act like pros. Benny has performed poorly and is also flaking out to the point of being suspended. That warrants negative attention from the fan base. And to say “but they are just a poor hapless college kid and we are nobodies” doesn’t fly anymore in a world where that fanbase is being asked to foot the bill for player salaries through NIL on top of all the standard costs of fandom.

On that same token, pros get away with worse behavior.

Glad I continue to know nothing.
Just that Benny has an oral fixation.

Attachments

• IMG_6479.jpeg
    IMG_6479.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 150
Thank you. This dumping on any player really is wrong. Who the hell are we all on this board? The majority of the fans are supportive. This board has some really passionate fans, and sometimes the fandom blurs their filters.
They're adults.

I agree with the sentiment of this. And a lot of the substance. But a ’fan’ wanting to know about a player’s injury is not the same as wanting to know about a student’s illness or disease. In pro sports, we have injury reports and disclosures at a certain level because they are related to the enterprise of competition, and players surrender a certain level of privacy. College athletes have a higher level of that sort of protection, but just as no one is entitled to know about a pro’s colitis but are given info about sprains, hamate fractures, and groin pulls, it’s not out of line for a college fan to want to know if an athlete had a meniscus procedure. If/when collegiate rules block such disclosures, that’s fine and I don’t see anyone knowingly breaking those rules. People just don’t know them. After 35 years, I don’t know them because sometimes we get the info and sometimes we don’t.
Pro athletes have bargained away HIPAA protections, to help the betting public. College athletes have not.
No medical info should be provided by a school or team official without written authorization from the student athlete.

Really: seem Benny has acted like a lot of pros. (Ben Simmons and James Harden come to mind.)

I think we have to use Colgate as a measuring stick. Yes, they are Patriot League, yada, yada, yada, but this team needs to keep taking steps forward. Beating Colgate would separate this team from the last two. This is important to the perception of the team in a lot of the average fan's eyes. Then we go to Maui. Need to be competitive there. A lot of fans won't be watching those games if they are off peak hours, so what they read is importa
Good post. I was struggling with the earlier comment about not wanting to use "Colgate as a measuring stick". Not disagreeing with the original poster, rather we need to start seeing improvement at this point in the season. Maui will definitely be an opportunity to test the competitiveness of this team. Wins in Maui will be great, but we must win against Colgate or our season will be a replay of the last two.

Not to mention they are professionals now by any metric. The excuse of being a college student imo is gone.

If you want to get paid you have to follow the rules more so than before.
Interesting perspective!!

I always got the feeling Benny is extremely coachable, unlike some of our good-headcases over the years.

Last year when he scored, it felt a bit too movie-scripted until late in the season. He didn't score many effortless points, so you would remember all his buckets. However, he also began showing flashes of solid outings in assists and ball movement mid-season, which can be easy to miss if you were not anticipating or watching the replay. I am super excited to see how those two things mix into this year's offense, not sure what to anticipate.

Can't wait to see what Red has planned for defense this year.

Last edited:
Benny struck out but got to first because the catcher dropped the ball.

I’m rooting for him. We need him. I think he needs us too. But no more BS
Yup. Hopefully he doesn’t get picked off at first.

I’ve always found it interesting that Benny has his best statistical games in matches we lose.

Pitt, GT, Miami, Wake-ACCT, etc.

Then in close games like NC State, Notre Dame, etc, he’s got 2 points.

So odd.

I always got the feeling Benny is extremely coachable, unlike some of our good-headcases over the years.
I agree. Last year, whenever JB would take him out, he would put a hand on Benny’s arm and talk to him. Often, Benny would put a hand on JB’s shoulder as well, but he would always look straight at JB while he was being coached. A lot of the time, he would be nodding his head.

That has not always been the case with others. Even this year, I have seen Red talking to a couple of guys and they looked elsewhere and seemingly didn’t even acknowledge his existence.

The thing about Benny is that he seems to be an emotional kid. There will be plays where something happens and you just see it on his eyes. I find myself thinking “sure hope Benny doesn’t go postal while we have the lead.” My guess is that he acts impulsively sometimes, but that is just a guess.

At any rate, I’m pulling for him and hope he has a great year.

I’ve always found it interesting that Benny has his best statistical games in matches we lose.

So odd.

That's actually not odd at all. He was not one of our top scoring options last year, and when a defense is doing a good job they force the opposing team to go away from their best options and go to lesser options instead. Makes sense Bennyvwould shoot more in games we lose.

I always cringe when people complain about some nobody having a good game against SU. It means the D is doing a great job. You can't get a turnover every possession, there are going to be shots, the best you can do is not give up the shots that the other team wants to take. Everybody is D1 level. If game after game you force the worst players to take a lot of shots, sometimes some of them will make a bunch of them, but you will win way more than you lose.

So odd.
People paying attention notice.

I struggle to find anything but spot minutes for Benny right now. There's no justification for playing him over Maliq, Justin or Quadir unless they do something dumb and need to come out. We could use Benny's help on the defensive glass but he'd need to be cool being the 3rd/4th option on offense and I don't think I'm there.

That's actually not odd at all. He was not one of our top scoring options last year, and when a defense is doing a good job they force the opposing team to go away from their best options and go to lesser options instead. Makes sense Bennyvwould shoot more in games we lose.

I always cringe when people complain about some nobody having a good game against SU. It means the D is doing a great job. You can't get a turnover every possession, there are going to be shots, the best you can do is not give up the shots that the other team wants to take. Everybody is D1 level. If game after game you force the worst players to take a lot of shots, sometimes some of them will make a bunch of them, but you will win way more than you lose.
Yup, the "random bench dude" has a huge game was a feature, not a bug for a while there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom