Benny is back | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Benny is back

I am not high on this team. However, if they can get Benny to play like this Benny, that changes things. It gives us a guy that can guard the other teams 4. It also gives us a guy that can hit a 3 (even though he didn't today). This Benny gives me hope.
This team has always hinged on Benny, which, until today, has been incredibly frustrating. He’s flashed a bit the past couple games and then today was great. I don’t even mind the threes really. As long as he is this active and engaged, he’s a big positive. His outlet passes are huge in terms of getting us out in transition.

Still too early to say for sure but I agree, our potential is easily a few wins better if this is the kind of Benny we see going forward. This team would be much more interesting in that scenario.

Benny Williams shot ~40% from 3 last season. He is a competent or better 3 point shooter. If the rest of his game comes around, being afraid of him taking open threes is a foolish concern.

We want him taking more open threes, not less.

You mentioned Blunders By Benny, but one of his plays that resulted in a turnover was quite hopeful.

Williams aggressively pulled down a defensive rebound off a failed Pitt fast break, turned and immediately launched a pass up court to a (cherry picking?) Mintz. Williams airmailed it through the back of the end zone, but I was impressed with his quick decision and desire to get the outlet pass up court immediately.

That's the kind of play that will result in many more baskets than turnovers if he keeps his head in that space... Much better than when he tries to dribble after rebounding.
That was a great play just not perfect execution. I can live with that.

Benny Williams shot ~40% from 3 last season. He is a competent or better 3 point shooter. If the rest of his game comes around, being afraid of him taking open threes is a foolish concern.

We want him taking more open threes, not less.
Agree with the premise here but Benny was in the high 20s until his last couple games when he like 6 of 9 or something. So I’m not sure he’s really a 40% three point shooter. That said, if he’s aggressive and making plays all over the place, his taking an open three from time to time is fine with me

I’m higher on this team because of our bench…Copeland
the thing with the second group (with Mintz and JJ) is we move much better and share the ball much better. We go from stagnant to active almost immediately. Think Cope and Brown have rubbed off on Benny in a good way (hopefully).

Agree with the premise here but Benny was in the high 20s until his last couple games when he like 6 of 9 or something. So I’m not sure he’s really a 40% three point shooter. That said, if he’s aggressive and making plays all over the place, his taking an open three from time to time is fine with me
With volume he's probably a 33% shooter from 3, and that's probably sufficient.

the thing with the second group (with Mintz and JJ) is we move much better and share the ball much better. We go from stagnant to active almost immediately. Think Cope and Brown have rubbed off on Benny in a good way (hopefully).

Agreed 144%.

Both those guys show that you don’t have to start to have a huge impact on a game, and also to earn minutes.
Plus they both have an excellent attitude, and put in effort when they’re in, and are positive and engaged on the bench.

Benny can still become the player he dreamed of being.

He was streaky, but to be fair, he was 10-23 through the Miami game in mid January, then went 0-12 over the next 8 games before finishing hot hitting 9 of his last 14.

With volume he's probably a 33% shooter from 3, and that's probably sufficient.
I don't think so. Target is pretty small when the ball is coming in at a 1 degree descent

McNamara has to be teaching the right way to shoot, right?

Red gets the credit for this. He has stuck with him when many would have shown him the door. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction for Benny as he most likely has a long way to go in his recovery.

I thought he got in a fight with a teammate? Saw something that he mixed it up with a Qb. What’s that about?

I don't think so. Target is pretty small when the ball is coming in at a 1 degree descent

McNamara has to be teaching the right way to shoot, right?
When Benny shoots with confidence, he has a decent arc. When he is tight, he shoots laser beams. Hopefully, he continues to play loose.

I will tell ya that i dont remember Benny jumping as high as he did last night over and over. my god what an athlete. Him saying he should have been better is the foundation of a strong man in the future. Good for him.

I wish they tried to take advantage of Williams' shooting ability more often. He would be perfect setting the screen in the pick and roll, as he can be a threat to dive to the basket or pop to the three point line. I don't know why they haven't used that so far.
One of his nice baskets mid/late in the second half kind of worried me - it was a line drive from the elbow with very little arc/lift.

Not sure he can do that over bigger forwards.

Am so happy for Benny and impressed with his humility in the interview posted above. In addition to all the positive traits mentioned already, that driving jump shot he shoots is really unstoppable- if he makes that consistently, that’s another huge weapon for us, and especially against athletic teams.

Can’t believe some are still not excited about this team and would post that after yesterday’s game. We already have ten wins, just beat Pitt ($&$@ finally!!), and we look an awful lot more like historical Syracuse to me. I’m pumped!! And Chance isn’t even back yet!!

I will tell ya that i dont remember Benny jumping as high as he did last night over and over. my god what an athlete. Him saying he should have been better is the foundation of a strong man in the future. Good for him.
Hopefully it isnt just words.

Benny has to keep his head on straight for the whole season.

Glad it’s been better, but he still needs to do it day in and day out.

But glad it’s getting better.
He has so much talent. When his maturity catches up to his athletic ability, he is going to be a great player. He needs another year at SU not to improve his basketball abilities but to grow as a person. The NBA would eat him alive at this point and I don't believe he is ready to be on his own in an adult world. Benny is young for his age. Not sure why but it is what it is. He is very fortunate that he didn't leave SU as I believe it would have been a disaster for him. Red and the rest of the coaches are going to do everything in their power to see him through this rough patch and if stays the course time will take care of him. Hope he stays next year for his own good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom