Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

Maybe that says more about the guys on the bench than it does about the coach changing.

And who recruited those guys on the bench? Regardless if its JB or his assistants, those misses fall under JB's watch. And if it's coaching, JB has been an average .500 coach in ACC play the past 6 years.

So I just found the Syracuse/BYU game from 2004 on YouTube and watched it this weekend because there was nothing else on. That wasn’t a particularly deep team but even a very raw Terence Roberts and Louie McCroskey got time in that game and were allowed some freedom to make mistakes. 8 guys played legitimate minutes in that game.

Hell, Gerry McNamara had one of the greatest games by any player in a Cuse uniform and Boeheim took him out for a minute or 2 to get a rest in a tight game.

I generally support Jim as a basketball tactician but his substitution and roster management the past few years has been brutal.
Thought the same thing watching Gmac BE final win over Pitt. Mcroskey, Wright, Gorman all got burn.

So I just found the Syracuse/BYU game from 2004 on YouTube and watched it this weekend because there was nothing else on. That wasn’t a particularly deep team but even a very raw Terence Roberts and Louie McCroskey got time in that game and were allowed some freedom to make mistakes. 8 guys played legitimate minutes in that game.

Hell, Gerry McNamara had one of the greatest games by any player in a Cuse uniform and Boeheim took him out for a minute or 2 to get a rest in a tight game.

I generally support Jim as a basketball tactician but his substitution and roster management the past few years has been brutal.
Nichols had a good game in that one right? Like 10 points or something? I vaguely remember this because I thought he was a bad matchup for BYU, and felt pretty great about calling it.

Nichols had a good game in that one right? Like 10 points or something? I vaguely remember this because I thought he was a bad matchup for BYU, and felt pretty great about calling it.

Yes, Nichols played really well. Really showed his potential and foreshadowed the player he’d become as an upperclassman.

Oh please. :rolleyes:

Leaving early to go Pro, is because they want to go Pro.
Period, full stop.

Nobody's dream is to play for Syracuse, and then - that's it.

And they ALL want to PLAY, so leaving for what they perceive as a better chance at PT -
it's understandable.

The #narrative is strong with this one.
its true players have a lot less loyalty and way shorter attention spans than ever before.
they are leaving much earlier than ever before across the board...and in the case of oshae and tyus...both left school early to go UNDRAFTED! JB didn't think they should go and made comments about it recently...that even tyus' dad wonders if he shouldve stayed...

at the time i wondered about the whole buddy thing and how it impacted their decisions...star players have rarely ever left su early to go undrafted (if ever?)

without knowing the real deal...and just speculating...those 2 leaving and not getting drafted...combined with these 3 gaurds all transferring together...

it puts coaches in very hard spot these days they have to plan on players leaving and if they dont it messes up the next class and creates a log jam...pretty much gauranteed that someone or some players are going to be unhappy these days...which is why so many transfers... but

it is clear...players are dying to get away!!

and my personal speculation is that some players are unhappy with the decisions that are being made i.e the program and playing time etc...

right or wrong ...they might be thinking that they signed up for SU not jb & son...

whats your explanation? planetary (mis)alignment???

Last edited:
Yes, Nichols played really well. Really showed his potential and foreshadowed the player he’d become as an upperclassman.
Nichols had such a satisfying career arc. It seemed like early on the rim just actively prevented his shots from going in, but you could see the talent. Then as a senior he wasn't afraid to take and make any shot.

Glad to hear it’s on YouTube! I’ve never seen that game. I was in Florida on spring break and that was still the dark ages where you couldn’t watch every single game...just whatever one was most local that they decided to give you. They cut away to the Cuse game for brief stretches here and there, but that’s it.

Mind sharing the link? I hunted for that one a long time and couldn't find it. Figured it had a weird title or something.

Glad to hear it’s on YouTube! I’ve never seen that game. I was in Florida on spring break and that was still the dark ages where you couldn’t watch every single game...just whatever one was most local that they decided to give you. They cut away to the Cuse game for brief stretches here and there, but that’s it.

I hadn’t seen it either. I live in PA so I kept getting the St Joe’s games during the same window Cuse was playing.

It was a really well played game. And BYU was a legitimately good team. If it weren’t for Gerry going off BYU had a real chance to win a couple games. They were balanced inside and out.

I hadn’t seen it either. I live in PA so I kept getting the St Joe’s games during the same window Cuse was playing.

It was a really well played game. And BYU was a legitimately good team. If it weren’t for Gerry going off BYU had a real chance to win a couple games. They were balanced inside and out.

Was that when Rafael Araujo(sp?) was there and was beasting a little bit and ended up a lotto pick and was horrible? Feel like that's my memory of that team.

Was that when Rafael Araujo(sp?) was there and was beasting a little bit and ended up a lotto pick and was horrible? Feel like that's my memory of that team.

Yes, he was on that team.

Yup. I was at BYU as a student at the time. I talked so much smack leading up to that game. I knew we would win. Had some buddies over, Hak gets the ball on the first possession and just goes around the guy for a dunk. I yelled out "ball game!"

They were shredding the zone and what did we do?

We got out of it.
A lost art...as the Louisville game demonstrated.
Don't know if this team could match-up with Louisville...but anything was worth a try in that game.

Wish Brycen well in his new opportunity. Kind of surprised that he is going to a school where they now have 5 good to pretty good guards. The article listed AJ Reeves and David Duke among other guards. Both are very good guards that were ranked in the top 50 ish high school players in their respective senior years. Hopefully, he is not going into the same situation that he left.

It's almost like he's NOT afraid of competition...………...huh. Because I heard he was.

Yeah, Providence is going to offer more competition at that spot, not less.

Does anybody else find it so strange...
... these kids spend months, sometimes years, trying to decide which college to play for.
Top X schools, Official Visits, announcement videos and signing ceremonies - the works.

And then, when they transfer, they decide on their new place often in just a few days.

Ponderous. (R.I.P. Shark58)

he wont what? sit the bench? i think it sucks he is leaving but he isnt some wunderkid we left eating pine needles.
Lots of people seem to think Goodine was not a very good player. He is a very promising player that Jimmy just left on the bench so his son could play max minutes regardless of his sons shortcomings or game performance. The guards on the team not named Boeheim all could see there was no chance of getting minutes at the guard position for the next 2 years so they got the hell out of here. Jimmy cant change with the times to understand it's not 1992 anymore and you cant expect kids to just sit down shut up and wait their turn.

I'm really not a fan of blaming JB for leaving Jackson out there because of their familial relations. I don't think that's the case. He did nearly the same thing with JG3. The difference was that Joe was merely a freshman, so he could trust Jackson a bit more to do what JB was expecting him to do. And he truly believed that the shooting prowess was more important than playing defense well, or at all in some cases.

I'm really not a fan of blaming JB for leaving Jackson out there because of their familial relations. I don't think that's the case. He did nearly the same thing with JG3. The difference was that Joe was merely a freshman, so he could trust Jackson a bit more to do what JB was expecting him to do. And he truly believed that the shooting prowess was more important than playing defense well, or at all in some cases.

The immediate choice of Providence smells like this has been around for a while vs something that just came up. I think Cooley is a good coach but wouldnt doubt for a minute of him or assistants using back channels here. Hard to say exactly when or at what point it became a lock he would transfer but this feels hardly like a recent decision.

The immediate choice of Providence smells like this has been around for a while vs something that just came up. I think Cooley is a good coach but wouldnt doubt for a minute of him or assistants using back channels here. Hard to say exactly when or at what point it became a lock he would transfer but this feels hardly like a recent decision.
I don't think there is anything nefarious going on there either. He likely wanted to be closer to home, realized that during the year, and may have made that known to both JB and some of the staff at PC. Would actually explain JB not using him more.

Did he do visits at Providence prior to committing to SU?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom