Class of 2016 - C Cheickna Dembele (PA) to UNLV | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 C Cheickna Dembele (PA) to UNLV

Honestly the whole thing is sketchy as hell. The dog gone article says the school is in its first year of existing. Even the name of the place doesn't sound like a high school, but a sports management establishment. I am shocked the JB is jumping in feeling like they can clear somebody with this background. I have to assume they have done their due diligence, but this one seems like a bevy of hassles to worry about.

All I can think of is Diagne getting a nice backup at Northwest Florida.

I have the opposite belief, and a lot of your assumptions seem unfounded. After what happened with Diagne, I would expect the coaching staff to ensure that everything is 100% legitimate before getting involved. In fact, conducting that review / assessment may have had something to do with why they waited so long to offer.

I have the opposite belief, and a lot of your assumptions seem unfounded. After what happened with Diagne, I would expect the coaching staff to ensure that everything is 100% legitimate before getting involved. In fact, conducting that review / assessment may have had something to do with why they waited so long to offer.

I hope you are right. But I made no assumptions. I am going off information stated as fact in the linked article.

I hope you are right. But I made no assumptions. I am going off information stated as fact in the linked article.

So, it's fact that it is sketchy? It's fact that he's an academic risk? It's fact that he is fast tracking toward JUCO non-qualification?

You made plenty of assumptions.

So, it's fact that it is sketchy? It's fact that he's an academic risk? It's fact that he is fast tracking toward JUCO non-qualification?

You made plenty of assumptions.

I am not implying he is an academic risk in the sense that he is a bad student, but rather that the NCAA may not clear him. Maybe that is an assumption, but it has happened with the past two kids we have had come from Africa and both of them had a more traditional path that would be easier to clear (ie not transferring to the US immediately prior to their senior year). To add to that risk, he is currently enrolled at a school that didn't exist this time last year. So I do not think it is an assumption to think there is much higher than normal risk with getting this player cleared. I said in my original post that I assume JB and staff have done due diligence, but I am concerned. I remain concerned.

Surprised nobody's posted this, but either Thompson or Dembele are one injury or unforeseen "wheelhouse" away from playing plenty of minutes. Crazier things have happened.
C Chukwu
F/C Coleman

F Roberson
F Lydon
F Moyer

That's one backup for the 5, 1 backup for both forward positions. Next guy gets plenty of run for a freshman. With our guard depth now, I think Mali plays 2.

But I don't think either would play over any of the 3 F's. With Mali (hopefully) and Battle able to play F as well, I don't know if Thompson or Dembele would play much even with an injury...Maybe if it's a C injury, but even then, I'd guess we'd see more Lydon at the 5 than either incoming freshman.

What's remarkable about this is the DeJuan still has a year of eligibility and Jerami has been gone for near a decade.
People don't talk about it, but Jerami had to leave because had he stayed and continued to drink the water, he would have grown to a freakish height. He had to leave for his own good.

People don't talk about it, but Jerami had to leave because had he stayed and continued to drink the water, he would have grown to a freakish height. He had to leave for his own good.

LOL. On a more serious note of the two (Grant, Ennis) I felt that Grant could have increased his draft position substantially by coming back. Of course he would have had to show improvement on the jumper so there was still a risk. I still don't think it was a bad decision and certainly do not hold it against him. I think fir Ennis it was a no brainer.

Hey, it happened to Ken Griffey, Jr, am I right? ;)

LOL. On a more serious note of the two (Grant, Ennis) I felt that Grant could have increased his draft position substantially by coming back. Of course he would have had to show improvement on the jumper so there was still a risk. I still don't think it was a bad decision and certainly do not hold it against him. I think fir Ennis it was a no brainer.

As for the size of the first check they cashed, I agree with you. But when it comes to having a career, Jerami couldn't have played his cards better.

Haha, I'm convinced. I've always though Serge Ibaka is the perfect type of Syracuse PF/C so the fact he wants to be Serge and his game definitely resembles Serge is big in my book.

I'm assuming the 3 star rating must be due to lack of exposure. He sounds way too fluid and skilled to not be a 4/5 star.
Nobody but several local northeastern scouts have seen him play and that was pretty much recently in a prep tourney back February. So I think most of these sites will just stamp the 3 star status on him and leave it at that. This is a situation where we'll just have to trust the coaches in their evaluation and hope that we'll be able to have a true gem on our hands.

But I don't think either would play over any of the 3 F's. With Mali (hopefully) and Battle able to play F as well, I don't know if Thompson or Dembele would play much even with an injury...Maybe if it's a C injury, but even then, I'd guess we'd see more Lydon at the 5 than either incoming freshman.
Unless they get a last-minute (5th year?) guard, they won't be able to afford having either Richardson or Battle play much at the 3.

Take Mullins and Dembele to complete this class. Pray Richardson comes back and look out next year. Will not need Dembele to be great as a Frosh but seems like he is already better than Chino and could play minutes if needed. Think Baye as a freshman.

Really really intrigued by this kid and think we lucked out hes 16 and not 17, obviously since we have a need and Id bet if he had a full summer of aau with big exposure hed blow the hell up

Take a look at the draft class from 2015, where do you think he could have gotten up to? I was doing that the other day, and couldn't quite decide.

Every time I say Dembele's name in my head it comes out DehMemBlay. No clue why, cuz I can read, and it's obviously not that.

I don't understand the whole deal with Thompson, clearly we are the highest level school that has been after him from the start and it's like he is dragging this out to try to get the blue bloods involved (Kansas, UNC, Kentucky etc.) but he is only 86th in the ESPN top 100 so I just don't see the blue bloods getting involved.

It's like chasing a girl. If she's looking for excuses not to go out with you, she's just not into you. Move on.

Take a look at the draft class from 2015, where do you think he could have gotten up to? I was doing that the other day, and couldn't quite decide.

Every time I say Dembele's name in my head it comes out DehMemBlay. No clue why, cuz I can read, and it's obviously not that.

Dem-Bell-Ay

It's like chasing a girl. If she's looking for excuses not to go out with you, she's just not into you. Move on.
I know..this kid is pissing me off. No need to pull our chain the way he is doing. If I was JB, if I got a commit from Dembele, I would pull TT offer and tell him to kiss off and we will make it work else where. Save it for next years crop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom