Class of 2022 - C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are funny. This kid has almost no objective evidence of being ready to play significant minutes as a freshman.
  • We have some moves versus air.
  • We have some years old video of him.
  • We have some still pictures of him that people think are awesome.
  • We don't have much else, and neither do any of the scouting services.
Of all the freshmen, this kid needs some time to show up and mature before counting on him to do anything.
Thank you, I do find myself very funny.

Uh, well - I can tell you from personal experience, it is super damn hard to finish dunks below the rim.

So, I guess he’s got that going for him.
Which is nice.

I think you’re misunderstanding his quote.

His AAU coach has seen him play.

Evaluation: "I think his biggest attribute on the offensive end, and I'm not a genius here because other people that see him play will say the same thing, is his athletic ability and his ability to play above the rim. Finish above the rim. Finish dunks above the rim. Rebound the ball above the rim. Finish it high above the rim. That's his strongest points offensively right now. The way he runs the court, you don't see a lot of 7-1 dudes running the court the way he runs it. I think his biggest strength (defensively), by far, is his timing," Shapiro said. "His timing on blocking shots. I've coached a lot of kids, a lot of D1 kids, I've coached all levels. I've never seen anybody time, the timing especially from the weak side to make the help side block." -- Carey's AAU Coach Jesse Shapiro.
I like Carey and think, in time he will be a nice player for us. But I wouldnt put too much stock in what this coaches opinion. He is talking him up, which is fine and should be expected. That said he infers/compares Carey to being 7'1. That is a bit of red flag. Hell, I think Jon Rothstein even gave him a yellow card for that statement.

I think you’re misunderstanding his quote.
Where in that quote does it say he is ready to play college ball next season? It says he is tall, which is usually good. It says he can play above the rim, so tall and at least able to elevate off the floor, also good. He can run, and that is fantastic for a guy his size. None of that adds up to being a major contributer next year by themselves, but who knows he may be a quick study, I certainly hope so.
I am hoping for some contribution by mid season, anything more and we have hit the jackpot.

Where in that quote does it say he is ready to play college ball next season? It says he is tall, which is usually good. It says he can play above the rim, so tall and at least able to elevate off the floor, also good. He can run, and that is fantastic for a guy his size. None of that adds up to being a major contributer next year by themselves, but who knows he may be a quick study, I certainly hope so.
I am hoping for some contribution by mid season, anything more and we have hit the jackpot.

???? That’s not what the poster commented on nor my response. It was solely about the above the rim comment.

My gut feeling is that Carey will have a career path similar to Edwards: blossoming in his junior year after he's put on more weight and made the full adjustment to college ball. But he could be an interesting back up until then because I think he could some of the things Edwards does well. I expect Brown to see action at the 4 and the 5 and be more ready to contribute immediately.

Last edited:
My gut feeling is that Carey will have a career path similar to Edwards: blossoming in his junior year after he's put on more weight and made the full adjustment to college ball. But he could be an interesting back up until then because I think he could some of the things Edwards does well. I expect brown to see action at the 4 and the 5 and be more ready to contribute immediately.

Be great if he could give us legit minutes a la Marek his frosh year. Not comparing players just minutes.

If he is healthy i think he can play a significant role next season. He looks very athletic. Has great coordination. Runs well and has good hands. Marek never gained weight and obviously wasn't strong and he did pretty well.

Based on my careful analysis of one video clip, my first impression of Carey was Seikaly-like. Seriously, his athleticism and bouncieness remind me a lot of Rony, and he even has a similar build. I fully expect we'll be very happy with him either at center or forward.

Went down a rabbit hole this morning to take a look at Edwards tape when he committed. Edwards was about 20 pounds lighter and didn't look like nearly the athlete Carey is. If you just look at this kids tools there is a lot to work with here.
I would be careful with looking at kids tools pal...

Carey will be fine over time but he lacks basketball skills. Right now he is tall, athletic and coordinated. Those are great pluses, something to be excited about, and generally means he's loaded with "potential." As high as Fab was ranked, to me he didn't look much better than Jesse in both their freshman years. We have been able to develop raw talented bigs over time and I think we can get Carey's skill level up to where he contribute meaningfully by his second year and hopefully be an impact player by his third year. I don't see him playing much his freshman year other than garbage time or if we have a man or men down and become desperate. At this point all he can give us is spectacular open dunks and block shots against weaker competition (exhibition games and SOME of the early season cream puff teams).

Carey will be fine over time but he lacks basketball skills. Right now he is tall, athletic and coordinated. Those are great pluses, something to be excited about, and generally means he's loaded with "potential." As high as Fab was ranked, to me he didn't look much better than Jesse in both their freshman years. We have been able to develop raw talented bigs over time and I think we can get Carey's skill level up to where he contribute meaningfully by his second year and hopefully be an impact player by his third year. I don't see him playing much his freshman year other than garbage time or if we have a man or men down and become desperate. At this point all he can give us is spectacular open dunks and block shots against weaker competition (exhibition games and SOME of the early season cream puff teams).
The most important factor for center at Syracuse is to be a rim protector and shot changer in the zone. At 7'1", he will alter peoples shots in the paint and lower their percentages and he looks athletic enough along with his length to get out to the corner and alter shots there as well. He can do some things on offense, but will have to adapt to the physicality of ACC big men and that will take time and growth. He can fill minutes for Jesse to get rest and wouldn't be a total drop off if he is required to play longer periods in the event of foul trouble.

I don't see a lack of basketball skills watching him at all. Strength and court awareness to me is where he needs to improve. Essentially more time with the proper coaching and structure to hone his skills and use them most effectively. That said, that bball IQ is the biggest thing that can make or break a kid even one who has skills and is a bigtime athlete. He isn't all that sure on positioning, when to be aggressive, how to handle shot fakes etc.

He can dribble, pass and his shot looks clean already. He has a drop step move.

The most important factor for center at Syracuse is to be a rim protector and shot changer in the zone. At 7'1", he will alter peoples shots in the paint and lower their percentages and he looks athletic enough along with his length to get out to the corner and alter shots there as well. He can do some things on offense, but will have to adapt to the physicality of ACC big men and that will take time and growth. He can fill minutes for Jesse to get rest and wouldn't be a total drop off if he is required to play longer periods in the event of foul trouble.
Is he actually 7’1”?

I think everyone agrees barring some surprise portal activity we are going to be running with what horses are currently in the stable. With that in mind if Carey earns minutes it's not because he is a 4th year version of Rak. It's because he is doing 1 or 2 things well enough. For example in backup minutes at center if we got 4 to 6 boards, alter some shots and a couple dunks. If year 1 is nothing but focus on defense kinda thing I could see Carey providing some value there. Some defensive energy.

The key for Carey to earn some quality minutes his freshman year is to understand his role in the zone defense. If he can't grasp that, he will see nothing but garbage time. This applies to all players which even sone experienced players never seemed to grasp (most recently Griffin).

Went down a rabbit hole this morning to take a look at Edwards tape when he committed. Edwards was about 20 pounds lighter and didn't look like nearly the athlete Carey is. If you just look at this kids tools there is a lot to work with here.
When Jesse first stepped on the court Freshman year, I said to my wife that if Bambi was about a baby giraffe, it would have starred Jesse Edwards.

I also thought he'd eventually be great for us, and now he's our most important piece. It seems like Carey is more coordinated than Jesse was at his age, so I wonder if he'll be ready earlier. Jesse was ready by the end of Sophomore year. I still think Carey takes at least a year to be ready, but who knows.

Who was the last true freshman to come in and play a significant role at center for us? Roosevelt Bouie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom