Class of 2014 - Chris mccullough | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Chris mccullough

If Ennis is back we are in the FF and the favorite to win it all.

Is that with our without JG?

I'd like to think you're right but I think that would be predicated upon either McCullough or Roberson having a great/huge impact, not just an good one.

To be honest I don't think Ennis goes because while as offensively savvy as he is, he is a tad slow and would have serious issues guarding the quick guards M2M.

Is that with our without JG?

I'd like to think you're right but I think that would be predicated upon either McCullough or Roberson having a great/huge impact, not just an good one.

Either or my friend. So long as Ennis is back IMO he will be the best college player bar none.

Last edited:
Dude...

We'll have how many first round prospects potentially? (by the end of their college careers)

Ennis
McCullough
Roberson
Possibly Xmas

Then idk what will happen with Johnson, Gbinije or Joseph.
If Christmas has a chance to be a #1 round pick he MUST develop some kind of offense away from the basket and sooner would be better than later for the team. At least be a threat from about 15' with a quick "J".Becoming a beyond the arc threat isn't realistic unless he has an athletic epiphany.

BdzvU5TCUAESBam.jpg:large

@AdamZagoria20h
Syracuse signee Chris McCullough went for 28 pts, 9 rebs, 4 assts and 4 blks today in IMG's win

To be honest I don't think Ennis goes because while as offensively savvy as he is, he is a tad slow and would have serious issues guarding the quick guards M2M.

Not trying to make you feel bad, but this has zero to do with whether TE stays or goes. It's about the money. If it was your kid or you, it would be about the money. I know, I know, your about to reply, that's what I was saying, TE is drafted in the first round and gets his guaranteed 3-year deal and can't cut it defensively or in some other way and is out of the league. Has he maximized his money? Yes, he has. Cause there is no guarantees on whether anyone drafted in the first round makes it or not in the NBA beyond their rookie deal, and who is to say that if TE stays, the NBA cools on his abilities next year and beyond and then he doesn't even get a guaranteed rookie deal? You take what you get when you can get it. End of story.

Some people like to argue that Donte Greene made a mistake leaving SU when he did. That his NBA career would have been longer had he stayed longer at SU. I highly doubt it and possibly he might have lost money had he stayed at SU longer by being drafted lower. Why did CJ stay last year? Cause he found out the chances of him being a 1st rounder were slim at best. (No guaranteed dollars.) I believe if you are good enough to play in the league, you will stick. If you are not, then you won't. (Fringe guys sometimes stick for awhile because they have a skill set that compliments a team that needs it.) Moral of the story, "When the fire is hot, start cooking, otherwise you might end up getting nothing to eat." It's all dollars and sense/cents. Nothing else really matters. We'd like to believe other things matter, but they don't. (BTW, I'm sure JB advises kids in this exact same fashion. Take the money while the NBA wants you badly, cause no one knows what next year will bring.)

Not trying to make you feel bad, but this has zero to do with whether TE stays or goes. It's about the money. If it was your kid or you, it would be about the money. I know, I know, your about to reply, that's what I was saying, TE is drafted in the first round and gets his guaranteed 3-year deal and can't cut it defensively or in some other way and is out of the league. Has he maximized his money? Yes, he has. Cause there is no guarantees on whether anyone drafted in the first round makes it or not in the NBA beyond their rookie deal, and who is to say that if TE stays, the NBA cools on his abilities next year and beyond and then he doesn't even get a guaranteed rookie deal? You take what you get when you can get it. End of story.

Some people like to argue that Donte Greene made a mistake leaving SU when he did. That his NBA career would have been longer had he stayed longer at SU. I highly doubt it and possibly he might have lost money had he stayed at SU longer by being drafted lower. Why did CJ stay last year? Cause he found out the chances of him being a 1st rounder were slim at best. (No guaranteed dollars.) I believe if you are good enough to play in the league, you will stick. If you are not, then you won't. (Fringe guys sometimes stick for awhile because they have a skill set that compliments a team that needs it.) Moral of the story, "When the fire is hot, start cooking, otherwise you might end up getting nothing to eat." It's all dollars and sense/cents. Nothing else really matters. We'd like to believe other things matter, but they don't. (BTW, I'm sure JB advises kids in this exact same fashion. Take the money while the NBA wants you badly, cause no one knows what next year will bring.)
And some people aren't completely motivated by money and, you know, actually want to play the game well? Pretty sure Donte would have made more money if he was a more complete player and stuck in the league for more years...

donte did the right thing- he never improved in the league so whats the reason he would have at su?

the real whine is about what you guys thought we might have done had he stayed:bang:

donte make some nba money from leaving early -dont think any more time at su would have improved that-if anything he wouldnt have made the same money after a second su season when his deficiencies would have had more time to show

donte did the right thing- he never improved in the league so whats the reason he would have at su?

the real whine is about what you guys thought we might have done had he stayed:bang:

donte make some nba money from leaving early -dont think any more time at su would have improved that-if anything he wouldnt have made the same money after a second su season when his deficiencies would have had more time to show

I wasn't trying to say Donte should have stayed, just using it as an example. If you are projected as a lottery pick you should absolutely leave.

That simply does not make sense. There is way more practice time in college, and elite players get invaluable experience maturing the various aspects of their games - particularly in refining their mental understanding of how to play and honing skills with better coaching than the high school level, and being in a place where they can fail but not be crushed. The NBA has less practice time and is a much more competitive environment and not a safe place to fail to learn from mistakes on the court.

Maybe he never would have improved at SU, maybe he reached his true talent level early and was simply an early bloomer. He very well may have left at the perfect time. I have no idea and neither do you. But it tortures logic to cite his failure to improve in the NBA as proof that he wouldn't have improved at SU.

"After enrolling at Bradenton (FL) IMG Academy following his departure from Brewster (N.H.) Academy, McCullough is averaging 22 points and 9 rebounds. On Saturday, he went for 29 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 blocks in IMG’s win over Elev8 Sports Academy."

That simply does not make sense. There is way more practice time in college, and elite players get invaluable experience maturing the various aspects of their games - particularly in refining their mental understanding of how to play and honing skills with better coaching than the high school level, and being in a place where they can fail but not be crushed. The NBA has less practice time and is a much more competitive environment and not a safe place to fail to learn from mistakes on the court.

Maybe he never would have improved at SU, maybe he reached his true talent level early and was simply an early bloomer. He very well may have left at the perfect time. I have no idea and neither do you. But it tortures logic to cite his failure to improve in the NBA as proof that he wouldn't have improved at SU.

What we do know is that more guys have their draft stock drop because of staying then have their draft status improved by staying. NBA draft is all about potential, when the NBA gets a larger sample size and realizes a players limitations, the player just lost money. Perception is more important than skill level. Right now, Jeremi's NBA perception is terrific. The NBA see's a high ceiling with him. What if he stayed at SU two more years and didn't improve his offensive game? Right now, Jeremi needs a consistent 15 to 17 foot jump shot and a bit more beef to be a legit NBA 4. Needs a bit more handle and a bit more range than that to be a legit NBA 3.

How many years did Donte Greene spend in the D league working on his game to get back to the NBA? The reality is, one can hone one's skills, but one can not hone the essence of what they are. (Greene is, and always has been a somewhat streaky shooter, who doesn't like contact, doesn't like playing defense and doesn't really do anything else particularly well. When he's on, great, when he's not, he's a complete liability.) Ennis is a great PG, the very essence of what a PG should be. He isn't the most athletic PG on the planet though, so if the NBA is saying right now that he will be drafted around 15 give or take 5. Does TE take the money and run or does he wait and hope the NBA doesn't catch on to the fact that TE might be subpar man to man PG defender?

Staying in college if the NBA comes calling with huge contract makes no sense. (A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.) That said, I will admit, maybe 2 out of every 10 cases a player is helped by staying an extra year or two. Additionally, for every 1 out of 10 players, maximizing monetary return isn't the most important result. I did just say 1 out of every 10 which isn't many.

Last edited:
The poster child for this is Paul Harris. Entering college, where he was forced to go due to the one-and-done rule, he was a certain lottery pick just based on his physique, his HS stats due to him overpowering most, and summer camp performances where they run up and down the court and dunk. Also, one game where he matched up with Greg Oden and limited him because he was the only one strong enough to do so. An article said he was the #2 freshman entering college.

Then he played the game.

And despite a three year career, and a career line across 100+ games of 11.7 ppg, 7.8rpg, and 2.4 apg, he went nowhere, because he could not shoot the ball.

If he doesn't go to college, he gets the 3 yr rookie deal and has $4-5M in the bank based on 'potential'. Now he's playing in the Philippines.

If someone's offering you those dollars to go, I think you need to go. Some stay and work, some stay and don't work, so go and improve, some don't. Cuz I'm a selfish fan, I want the player to stay and improve at Syracuse, not the D-League (or elsewhere). Just wish them luck, and cheer on their five star replacement.

Kev

what?

What we do know is that more guys have their draft stock drop because of staying then have their draft status improved by staying. NBA draft is all about potential, when the NBA gets a larger sample size and realizes a players limitations, the player just lost money. Perception is more important than actually skill level. Right now, Jeremi's NBA perception is terrific. The NBA see's a high ceiling with him. What if he stayed at SU two more years and didn't improve his offensive game? Right now, Jeremi needs a consistent 15 to 17 foot jump shot and a bit more beef to be a legit NBA 4. Needs a bit more handle and a bit more range than that to be a legit NBA 3.

How many years did Donte Greene spend in the D league working on his game to get back to the NBA? The reality is, one can hone one's skills, but one can not hone the essence of what they are. (Greene is, and always has been a somewhat streaky shooter, who doesn't like contact, doesn't like playing defense and doesn't really do anything else particularly well. When he's on, great, when he's not, he's a complete liability.) Ennis is a great PG, the very essence of what a PG should be. He isn't the most athletic PG on the planet though, so if the NBA is saying right now that he will be drafted around 15 give or take 5. Does TE take the money and run or does he wait and hope the NBA doesn't catch on to the fact that TE might be subpar man to man PG defender?

Staying in college if the NBA comes calling with huge contract makes no sense. (A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.) That said, I will admit, maybe 2 out of every 10 cases a player is helped by staying an extra year or two. Additionally, for everyone 1 out of 10 players, maximizing monetary return isn't the most important result. I did just say 1 out of every 10 which isn't many.
I agree with everything you are saying here, it is a losing battle, some people just don't understand.

To add for example, say you are projected as the 21st pick in the 1st round, if you come back for another year it is an uphill battle. Not only do you have to improve to increase that 21st pick value, you have to overcome the value you lost, in scouts and NBA teams eyes, just from getting a year older.

what?
Do you want me to write it again? Perhaps in larger font?

The NBA plays an 82 game schedule with frequent travel. They have light shoot arounds on the day of the game, but once the season starts they do not practice very often.

Don't believe me? Perhaps you'd believe Brad Stevens:
"Stevens has drawn nearly universal praise since and admitted game management and preparation have become more comfortable for him. The lack of practice time in a league filled with back-to-backs and 82 games has not. "That's probably the biggest difference, just how many things you have to accomplish with very limited time on the practice court," Stevens said."
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...s-tom-thibodeau-celtics-president-danny-ainge

I agree with everything you are saying here, it is a losing battle, some people just don't understand.

To add for example, say you are projected as the 21st pick in the 1st round, if you come back for another year it is an uphill battle. Not only do you have to improve to increase that 21st pick value, you have to overcome the value you lost, in scouts and NBA teams eyes, just from getting a year older.
You might want to back off the whole intellectually superior some people just don't understand thing, as you are tilting at windmills and arguing against a ghost. I agree, and I don't think anyone in the thread has disagreed, that a lottery pick should come out, or that you should come out if, in your internal calculations, you've reached the peak of your draft stock. In my initial post, I was pushing back on the notion that because Donte didn't improve in the NBA then that, per se, meant he would not have improved at Syracuse. While that may or may not be true (we'll never know), that fails basic logic and I was pointing that out.

Do you want me to write it again? Perhaps in larger font?

The NBA plays an 82 game schedule with frequent travel. They have light shoot arounds on the day of the game, but once the season starts they do not practice very often.

Don't believe me? Perhaps you'd believe Brad Stevens:
"Stevens has drawn nearly universal praise since and admitted game management and preparation have become more comfortable for him. The lack of practice time in a league filled with back-to-backs and 82 games has not. "That's probably the biggest difference, just how many things you have to accomplish with very limited time on the practice court," Stevens said."
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...s-tom-thibodeau-celtics-president-danny-ainge
please bold the part that says there is more practice time in college than the NBA?

please bold the part that says there is more practice time in college than the NBA?
sure, no problem:

"That's probably the biggest difference, just how many things you have to accomplish with very limited time on the practice court," Stevens said."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom