Class of 2015 - Chris Silva | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Chris Silva

From iommi
"Silva fouled out. 7 points and a ton of rebounds."
Edit: 14 rebounds, best guess

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay... I did chart Silva, similar to how I did Battle. But I'm exhausted and going to give you a summation instead.

This was Roselle Catholic vs. Teaneck. Teaneck was a very small team. They have a dynamic little freshman guard. This was a good game for Silva to dominate...and he did, in one area, rebounding. No question he had double digits...my guess is 14 but it could've been more.

The pros: Rebounding...he was all over the boards and got many in traffic. Plays with a good motor. Shows very well in the post. Makes a very good target and made a few nice post moves. He kind of reminds me of Roc as far as built but he has a better motor. Similar skill set but Silva probably has greater upside.

The cons: ft shooting was bad...shocker, huh? Not a good shooter in general. Form was just okay IMO. Took one three and missed...also took a foul line jumper or two and made one. He fouled out but his Roselle Catholic team had the game wrapped up at that point.

On a side note, not a fan of Asante Gist at all... He's very small...like 5'9"? Played out of control and made the simple play difficult by trying to get style points. Kid will play for some small school and probably make some highlight reels, but he's not for me. Gist was terrible in first half and better in the 2nd half, but that's not saying much. Kid tried a spin move about a 4 times. Ridiculous. Too much French pastry, as the late, great Al McGuire would say.

Last edited:
Okay... I did chart Silva, similar to how I did Battle. But I'm exhausted and going to give you a summation instead.

This was Roselle Catholic vs. Teaneck. Teaneck was a very small team. They have a dynamic little freshman guard. This was a good game for Silva to dominate...and he did, in one area, rebounding. No question he had double digits...my guess is 14 but it could've been more.

The pros: Rebounding...he was all over the boards and got many in traffic. Plays with a good motor. Shows very well in the post. Makes a very good target and made a few nice post moves. He kind of reminds me of Roc as far as built but he has a better motor. Similar skill set but Silva probably has greater upside.

The cons: ft shooting was bad...shocker, huh? Not a good shooter in general. Form was just okay IMO. Took one three and missed...also took a foul line jumper or two and made one. He fouled out but his Roselle Catholic team had the game wrapped up at that point.

On a side note, not a fan of Asante Gist at all... He's very small...like 5'9"? Played out of control and made the simple play difficult by trying to get style points. Kid will play for some small school and probably make some highlight reels, but he's not for me. Gist was terrible in first half and better in the 2nd half, but that's not saying much. Kid tried a spin move about a 4 times. Ridiculous. Too much French pastry, as the late, great Al McGuire would say.
What's your preference and the best fit out the Bryant/Diagne/Silva group from what you have seen recently?

What's your preference and the best fit out the Bryant/Diagne/Silva group from what you have seen recently?

Ugh, tough one... I'd probably lean to Diagne, who looks like a great program guy. Silva was an absolute beast on the boards, but he should've been with Teaneck's lack of bigs. I'm going to reserve the right to change my mind, but I just get the feeling that Diagne would be like a BMK with more skill. By the way, both Diagne and Silva seem to have pretty good hands. I watched the Bryant game the other night but wasn't impressed.

It's too small a sample to judge. My gut says Diagne, even though Silva clearly has a lot of talent too. I don't see any of these guys as dominant college bigs, but they do have plenty of time for improvement.

Ugh, tough one... I'd probably lean to Diagne, who looks like a great program guy. Silva was an absolute beast on the boards, but he should've been with Teaneck's lack of bigs. I'm going to reserve the right to change my mind, but I just get the feeling that Diagne would be like a BMK with more skill. By the way, both Diagne and Silva seem to have pretty good hands. I watched the Bryant game the other night but wasn't impressed.

It's too small a sample to judge. My gut says Diagne, even though Silva clearly has a lot of talent too. I don't see any of these guys as dominant college bigs, but they do have plenty of time for improvement.

Thanks for all of the great posts today, iommi! Greatly appreciated.

That's the key thing when watching these youngins in HS. It's mostly not about what you see now but the big picture projection on how they'll improve and what they could be 2-4 years from now.

That's the key thing when watching these youngins in HS. It's mostly not about what you see now but the big picture projection on how they'll improve and what they could be 2-4 years from now.

I'd give my right nut for another Rick Jackson. What fantastic development over the course of his career. I've watched SU since 1970, and I've never seen anyone work the low block like him. Have hope Coleman will do the same yet.

I'd give my right nut for another Rick Jackson. What fantastic development over the course of his career. I've watched SU since 1970, and I've never seen anyone work the low block like him. Have hope Coleman will do the same yet.
I'll give both of my nuts to have another RJ or AO, who knows how to post up and operate down low. Amazing how we have had three straight Burger Boys in Fab, Rak, DC2, and none can consistently score in the post. I'm really surprised at DC2's slow development on offense. When watching him in HS, I thought he would've been a Sean May/Zach Randolph type that would just bully kids down low. Should have taken his lack of quality competition at JD and him not stepping up to play stronger comp at Oak Hill into consideration.

I'll give both of my nuts to have another RJ or AO, who knows how to post up and operate down low. Amazing how we have had three straight Burger Boys in Fab, Rak, DC2, and none can consistently score in the post. I'm really surprised at DC2's slow development on offense. When watching him in HS, I thought he would've been a Sean May/Zach Randolph type that would just bully kids down low. Should have taken his lack of quality competition at JD and him not stepping up to play stronger comp at Oak Hill into consideration.

There was some evidence of DC2 future difficulties when he matched up against DeMatha his SR year. I believe he had 3 fouls real quick, and some bad looking low dribble turnarounds. I still think he is a player by the time he is a Senior

Anyways right there with you with wanting a big that can give you some offense. It's a luxury these days in college hoops, so we can get by with the hyper athletic shot blockers like we have had.

There was some evidence of DC2 future difficulties when he matched up against DeMatha his SR year. I believe he had 3 fouls real quick, and some bad looking low dribble turnarounds. I still think he is a player by the time he is a Senior

Anyways right there with you with wanting a big that can give you some offense. It's a luxury these days in college hoops, so we can get by with the hyper athletic shot blockers like we have had.
DC dominated Rakeem in crunch time in a high school tournament that was held outdoors in his junior year in high school. Backed Rak down, displayed nice touch in and around the basket and made clutch free throws to clinch a win for his team.

You don't even know what I would do for another AO. He was probably the least regarded big coming in for us, but was one of the most dominant bigs on both offense and defense. When the ball got in to him in the post you know he was putting it in

You don't even know what I would do for another AO. He was probably the least regarded big coming in for us, but was one of the most dominant bigs on both offense and defense. When the ball got in to him in the post you know he was putting it in

It got to the point with AO that it was all about getting him the ball when he set up where he wanted to be. If he had his man on his back within 5 feet and you get him the ball at right away he was about 85-90% at the end of his career.

Just thought I'd share. Got this link from Francis' site:
http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2013/12/roselle-beats-abington-67-52-at-jameer-nelson-classic/

Telling comment from RC coach Dave Boff.
“His post moves right now are the last thing that’s coming, the last piece of the puzzle, so to speak,” the coach said. “He can step out and shoot it, he’s a good free-throw shooter, obviously he’s a great athlete around the rim, but we want to be able to throw it to him in the post and have him score, so that’s what he needs to work on.”

It's just about the perfect summary of his game, even though I didn't know that he had a soft touch. Still considered a fairly raw prospect at this point, but he did progress nicely over the summer. We'll see how the year plays out.

I don't know how a kid like Briscoe or Silva for that matter could get excited going to a hall game...other then it's an obvious close to home venue. I'd be begging my old man not to make me choose between them or St John's. That'sfudging depressing

I don't know how a kid like Briscoe or Silva for that matter could get excited going to a hall game...other then it's an obvious close to home venue. I'd be begging my old man not to make me choose between them or St John's. That'sfudging depressing
Seriously. And both Silva and Briscoe live in NJ. I very badly wanted to get away from all I knew, not that far away, but "away school". So glad I did.

Seriously. And both Silva and Briscoe live in NJ. I very badly wanted to get away from all I knew, not that far away, but "away school". So glad I did.

When I was younger, and little irreverent, I had an argument with a born-again Christian. I really made the guy angry with my argument. He started talking about eternal damnation and where my soul was going to go when died. I said, "How bad can it be, it can't be worse than living in New Jersey!" He did not smile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom