Coach Brown Intro Press Conference: Monday 10 AM | ACC Network | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Brown Intro Press Conference: Monday 10 AM | ACC Network

He actually answered this quetion and let us know the old staff will run bowl prep.

He said he will be at practice to evaluate players and coaches but if he is a distraction he will leave and watch from afar. To me this says the old staff is coaching.

This is ideal since we can be both practicing for a bowl game AND be out recruiting at the same time.
Watching and evaluating is the first step of a true leader.

Loved it. I can list out the reasons I’m swooning but everybody has.

One thing gave me some pause - highlighting the recruiting zone and harkening back to p/d since it worked then and that’s what we’re getting back to. That’s cool and probably necessary…but the demos of the country and football are very different than 28 years ago. We need to stick in the south. I think we will but just want to make sure this isn’t just “turn back the clock.” How we achieve success now will look very different than it did then.

I think he’s just making a point to highlight our past success as part of the narrative which makes tons of sense.

Loved it, overall.

One thing gave me some pause - highlighting the recruiting zone and harkening back to p/d since it worked then and that’s what we’re getting back to. That’s cool and probably necessary…but the demos of the country and football are very different than 28 years ago. We need to stick in the south. I think we will but just want to make sure this isn’t just “turn back the clock.” How we achieve success now will look very different than it did then.
I have a pretty good feeling this guy is well aware of "demos of the country and football" when it comes to recruiting.

I thought one of the coolest parts was him keeping that letter from DeLeone, telling him to get out in the world to other jobs in order to move his career forward. Go now at the end, written 3 times.

Think after he said he called Wildhack I would have asked how many other calls he made like that. Who's coaching the bowl? Has he met with current staff? Any update on the decommit numbers? Etc
A lot of the decommits and portal kids become public as the kids announce it on social media. So far, pretty slow. No portal updates in five days. Some kids might follow their position coaches if it's a good situation for them.

And Josh Crawford throwing Fran off by introducing himself as “Josh Crawford, black man”.. talk about self-obsess

I would have asked him his plans regarding what kind of offense he plans to run, the traits he looks for in a qb (pro style versus mobility), whether the qb for next year is on our roster right now or in the portal. He might not have answered all of these questions but he might have given us some ideas of what to expect on that side of the ball.

But that is on the media. I thought Fran was magnificent and inspiring and I can't wait to see what he does with this program.
He said run the ball and stop the run, do what the other team cant stop. I am sure the OC/ DC and evaluating the talent is next up. Seems like he listens to coaches like Nunzio and he is more big picture, leader type.

He preempted that question by saying - paraphrasing - "for those who are going to ask me what kind of offense we're going to run, we're going to run one that works."
I heard that, but I don’t think it would’ve been crazy to follow up asking for some specifics.

Loved it. I can list out the reasons I’m swooning but everybody has.

I think he’s just making a point to highlight our past success as part of the narrative which makes tons of sense.

Loved it, overall.

He did say we're going to 'spot' recruit and he mentioned Florida specifically. But you can win with a core of kids from NY, CT, MA, NJ, PA and MD. It's where his roots are so he knows this up close and personal. To do it though, he's going to have to take kids from Penn State and the rest of the Big 10 that now heavily recruits this region.

2 recruiting bits I noted:

paraphrasing

1) "we're going to recruit a different kind of player here - or athlete." wasn't sure exactly which word he used but it implied to me a higher caliber player.

2) Kent asked him what about "the under the radar kids","the diamonds in the rough", Frans response was "I was a diamond in the rough"

He’s passionate and genuine. I have no doubt he will recruit well and we will have a very good defense.

My questions all lie on the offense. He has no blueprint there…the offensive staff hires are going to be critical for his success.

I thought he knocked it out of the park. Trying to tame my excitement a little bit b/c Dino also crushed his introductory PC.

He’s definitely a smooth talker with a lot of quiet confidence which explains how he is such a good recruiter. I expect we are going to crush it on the recruiting trail, which is what this program so desperately needs. Now the question will be will this translate to wins on the field.

I heard that, but I don’t think it would’ve been crazy to follow up asking for some specifics.

agreed. He didn't want to answer, my first take was that he's still working on that side of the ball. He's been pretty clear though that we're going to 'run the ball'. I'm thinking some kind of power run RPO but here's the thing I'm fairly certain of; it'll be a modern offense. That's what young guys run.

A lot of praying going to be going on. He refers a lot to praying.
I may have shared this before, but 11-12 years ago or so I was offered the opportunity to start Athletes in Action sports ministry at Syracuse (different than FCA - Fellowship of Christian Athletes, which is already in place on campus & has been a while. Some schools like Georgia, Minnesota, etc. have partnered together & both ministries are one). I'm local to Syracuse, grew up less than 5 minutes from campus, I'm a graduate of SU & really am a product of the ministry experience I had as a student, it's a major part of why I do full time ministry now. My wife & I went on a visit (really just stayed with my parents), visited the athletic department, etc.

Basically, Syracuse University is my "holy grail" of athletic departments... so I was as shocked as anyone when after praying & wrestling over the decision a ton, I really felt at a gut level the Lord was telling me to stay in Ohio. Ohio. The podunk midwest. So I ended up saying no to the opportunity. I'm a true northeasterner at heart, it definitely wasn't a checklist of qualities or benefits, I can tell you that. I don't regret the decision... I'm comfortable in doing what I think God has asked me to do, but there's certainly times I wonder at what could have been!

I talked with the chaplains of Rutgers football (personal friends of mine, as gross as that sounds haha) when Fran Brown was first hired, they'll vouch that his pursuit of relationship with God through Jesus is legitimate & real. He's got some rough edges, but it's definitely not an act or a "football culture" facade. I love that for the program & I love it for the players on the team.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I didn’t think anyone would ask the money question. It was dopey.
I attended and was sitting with an FB alum from the 70’s. We both grimaced and moaned when that was asked. And as was noted earlier, Axe got the first question (must think he’s SU’s version of Helen Thomas) and didn’t identify himself or his organization.

I haven’t read through all the pages, but the hall was packed, people in the aisles and in every nook and cranny. I’m really impressed with Coach Fran! LGO!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom