cooney needs his own thread after that | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

cooney needs his own thread after that

Status
Not open for further replies.
you could either play Frank Howard more, which would add more creativity and passing to the offense. Or, you put MR at 2 guard - his natural position - and play Lydon and Roberson together, which would strengthen the interior defense and team rebounding.

Both of those are perfectly good lineups that could be utilized. Playing an ineffectual Cooney 35 minutes a game is not required by the roster composition.

Yeah. That guy behind him should be playing more. What's his name again?

It's not necessarily who should play, it's about being productive when playing. He isn't being productive enough.

Well, I have to jump in with my opinion. I love Cooney, the kid works harder than most and is great on defense, but I have been perplexed with the label put on him early on of being a "pure shooter". Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't pure shooter mean you can really make those shots? I really hate slamming this kid because I truly believe he gives his all every single game, but today's performance from a 5th year player was nothing short of depressing. I have to blame the head coach for this. In his presser JB said that shooters have to shoot. As much as I understand this logic, there comes a point maybe half way through or 3/4 way through the game that you just have to say damn it's not the kid's night. Like someone else said, I just knew he was going to chuck that three up at the end. I honestly said he's going to take a three and tie this thing up. Ouch, it was such a really really bad night for him. Only bright thought is that he cannot possibly be this bad two games in a row, can he?

Most of you guys all need to go out and coach somewhere. And when you do, you'll learn a whole lot of stuff. Learn how to run a practice, and learn how to teach skills. Learn how to prepare for a game. Learn how to play when certain kids don't show up, physically or mentally. There's no magic wand. Believe it. But I can tell by a lot of the stuff posted here, most here haven't.

But if you do, many things will soon become apparent. No. 1, players don't just do what you tell them to do. Really. I mean it. Just because you're smarter/more experienced, doesn't mean that what you know transfers into their game sense just because you said so. No. 2, players don't always develop as you thought they would. Accept it. Deal with it. Make your adjustments accordingly, because if you can't, you're not really a coach. And 3, learn how deal with tight games. Do you know what you'll do when you're up 3 with 30 seconds to go, with a 60 second TO? Or worse, down 3? Regardless, you'll go with what you've got, with what got you there. With what you practiced to do. Believe it. And that's why Cooney was on the floor, and why he took that last shot.

And as for coaching, go for it. Seriously. You'll love it. Every last freaking ecstatic and heartbreaking minute of it.

Last edited:
It's not necessarily who should play, it's about being productive when playing. He isn't being productive enough.
And that doesn't apply to whom? I suppose usually G and occasionally the freshman but that's about it.

Who should play is the only thing that's worth discussion. We can all shake our heads and wish TC was better but after four years, maybe we're wasting our time if we're still talking about how he sucks.

Perhaps if FH didn't stink up the floor when he was in yesterday, JB wouldn't have played Trevor quite so many minutes but that's what happened.

you could either play Frank Howard more, which would add more creativity and passing to the offense. Or, you put MR at 2 guard - his natural position - and play Lydon and Roberson together, which would strengthen the interior defense and team rebounding.

Both of those are perfectly good lineups that could be utilized. Playing an ineffectual Cooney 35 minutes a game is not required by the roster composition.
I'm not sure you want to play Lydon/DC/Roberson together all that much. That only gives us 2 ballhandlers on the court and 2 penetrators. Lydon is a 4.

Well, I have to jump in with my opinion. I love Cooney, the kid works harder than most and is great on defense, but I have been perplexed with the label put on him early on of being a "pure shooter". Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't pure shooter mean you can really make those shots? I really hate slamming this kid because I truly believe he gives his all every single game, but today's performance from a 5th year player was nothing short of depressing. I have to blame the head coach for this. In his presser JB said that shooters have to shoot. As much as I understand this logic, there comes a point maybe half way through or 3/4 way through the game that you just have to say damn it's not the kid's night. Like someone else said, I just knew he was going to chuck that three up at the end. I honestly said he's going to take a three and tie this thing up. Ouch, it was such a really really bad night for him. Only bright thought is that he cannot possibly be this bad two games in a row, can he?

I'm with you. I support our players unilaterally, and root for them all to succeed. I've been a staunch pro-Cooney guy his entire career. But at this point, I'm just fatigued with him. I can't defend the inconsistency. He's had big games, but never seems to hit big shots--and I'm not just talking about end of the games big shots. There are so many times during the season when we'd pass the ball around and swing it to him wide open in an important situation--clank. It's gotten to the point where I don't expect him to hit shots anymore when he puts it up.

Unfortunately, he gets a lot of venom piled on his way, which is unseemly, but I get it. I honestly do.

Props for Donna being the only one with the balls to ask the question

Indeed! I find it peculiar that JB has no problem making comments at a presser about how Richardson and/or Lydon have been shooting it in practice, however, it doesn't always translate to the game, etc. I'm curious what JB would say about Cooney's shooting in practice. I really can't recall him commenting all season on that regard...although, he may just say he has been Curryesque!

I'm with you. I support our players unilaterally, and root for them all to succeed. I've been a staunch pro-Cooney guy his entire career. But at this point, I'm just fatigued with him. I can't defend the inconsistency. He's had big games, but never seems to hit big shots--and I'm not just talking about end of the games big shots. There are so many times during the season when we'd pass the ball around and swing it to him wide open in an important situation--clank. It's gotten to the point where I don't expect him to hit shots anymore when he puts it up.

Unfortunately, he gets a lot of venom piled on his way, which is unseemly, but I get it. I honestly do.
It is pretty much to the point where it's almost surprising when he makes it. He's getting good looks for the most part, and taking a lot of shots, he's just inefficient. It would be easier to stomach if he was taking fewer shots, but realistically, we only have 4 guys that shoot.

Indeed! I find it peculiar that JB has no problem making comments at a presser about how Richardson and/or Lydon have been shooting it in practice, however, it doesn't always translate to the game, etc. I'm curious what JB would say about Cooney's shooting in practice. I really can't recall him commenting all season on that regard...although, he may just say he has been Curryesque!

His fervent protection of Cooney is really starting to get bizarre. But, not to beat a dead horse, we have NOBODY else. My opinion is that since G fouled out JB was going to live and die with Cooney by default. One would think (hope) that some kind of actual play was drawn up then Cooney just went meltdown/panic mode and heaved it up with way too much time left on the shot clock.

It is what it is. We are woefully thin at G. Howard was NOT an option yesterday. I wouldn't have played him more minutes yesterday if I was JB. He was really bad. So , we get what we got. Cooney trying to play hero ball.

My issues are obviously with the recruiting misses at G and almost seemingly undervaluing that position. Also, I have another issue with these turnovers which are becoming more bizarre and unacceptable game by game. To see what we saw the first five minutes of the game with the importance of the game factored in was mind-boggling. I think we'd be hard pressed to find another team in America making these types of plays, bad passes, mental errors, etc. Maybe in an exhibition game somewhere. I just wonder how much of it is the non true PG issue, subpar ballhandlers in general, poor teaching of fundamentals, scheme, or other. Probably a combination of all. Combined with Roberson and Coleman not doing anything, Coleman not really being able to jump, etc., and we are what we are. If you have only 2.5-3 good players out of 7 right now getting minutes they have to be clicking on all cylinders to get a win against some good teams. I guess I'm not that surprised right now. Early in the season I thought we would struggle to get to .500 in the ACC and that we would be a bubble team. I guess it is time to accept reality.

His fervent protection of Cooney is really starting to get bizarre. But, not to beat a dead horse, we have NOBODY else. My opinion is that since G fouled out JB was going to live and die with Cooney by default. One would think (hope) that some kind of actual play was drawn up then Cooney just went meltdown/panic mode and heaved it up with way too much time left on the shot clock.

It is what it is. We are woefully thin at G. Howard was NOT an option yesterday. I wouldn't have played him more minutes yesterday if I was JB. He was really bad. So , we get what we got. Cooney trying to play hero ball.

My issues are obviously with the recruiting misses at G and almost seemingly undervaluing that position. Also, I have another issue with these turnovers which are becoming more bizarre and unacceptable game by game. To see what we saw the first five minutes of the game with the importance of the game factored in was mind-boggling. I think we'd be hard pressed to find another team in America making these types of plays, bad passes, mental errors, etc. Maybe in an exhibition game somewhere. I just wonder how much of it is the non true PG issue, subpar ballhandlers in general, poor teaching of fundamentals, scheme, or other. Probably a combination of all. Combined with Roberson and Coleman not doing anything, Coleman not really being able to jump, etc., and we are what we are. If you have only 2.5-3 good players out of 7 right now getting minutes they have to be clicking on all cylinders to get a win against some good teams. I guess I'm not that surprised right now. Early in the season I thought we would struggle to get to .500 in the ACC and that we would be a bubble team. I guess it is time to accept reality.

Yeah, I hear ya. That start yesterday really told the story. Such a huge game. We have two 5th year senior guards who don't lead, control or command, but just appear to let the chips fall where they may. FSU's start was bad as well, but their two main guards are freshman, so not unexpected due to their inexperience. With FSU's bad start, we missed an excellent opportunity to get out to a big lead and set the tempo for the rest of the game. As bad as our interior play is, not having a true lead guard is really too much to overcome.

He's shooting 33% (32.84% to be more exact) in ACC play from deep. Not great, not bad. I think it's less than 1 standard deviation below average.

cooney's 3 point % ranks him 39th in the ACC and 4th on his own team. he does lead ACC in attempts though.
(in fact he's tied at 31st most nationally)

Last edited:
There are just such weird narratives around Cooney.

"Blame the staff for having to play him this much, not the player. The recruiting hasn't done him favors."

"He has to take those shots."

"I'd give my right arm to have him as a son-in-law."

Wait, what?

Scoopadelphia has been missing in action for months, but he uncannily predicted this in November 2011. Yes, way back then. Hilarious.

He's been this bad for about a month. That's the issue.

Yikes.

'If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost America.'

cooney's 3 point % ranks him 39th in the ACC and 4th on his own team. he does lead ACC in attempts though.
This inspired me to look through some conference stats. Cooney has the 4th worst adjusted FG% on the conference and 9th worst in points/shot. He's just an inefficient offensive basketball player.

I am quite certain that if you ranked ncaa division 1 players by three point shots taken and then by shooting percentage that there is no player that has taken more shots that has a lower percentage. He scores less than one point per shot. That is a recipe for disaster. He should have been more selective and that goes for the last two years. Perhaps Lyden is a bit too selective but Cooney has been outrageously trigger happy. He lacks the self-awareness to know when he is off and adjust his game accordingly. That is what led to last nights appalling conclusion.

He's been this bad for about a month. That's the issue.

cooney in february :

2014 fg% (32/77) 42 % , 3pt% (22/54*) 41%
2015 fg% (32/107) 30% , 3pt% (13/70) 19%
2016 fg% (19/72) 26% , 3 pt% (14/50) 28%

nothing we ain't seen before. it's not a slump. it's what he does.

* (includes a 9/11 game against the irish)

Last edited:
This inspired me to look through some conference stats. Cooney has the 4th worst adjusted FG% on the conference and 9th worst in points/shot. He's just an inefficient offensive basketball player.

This has always been the case, really.

The issue, imo, no longer rests with TC. The issue is the offense he is in and the position he holds within that offense.

This is now, and has been, on JB. The fact that he said what he said at his presser just reinforces that notion.

It really is too bad TC was asked to do way too much. In a different and more evolved offense, I think he would be good.

At some point you can't blame the player anymore. I don't mean this directed at you, leftytg, I mean the generalized 'you'.

No argument from me. I'm just pointing out that 33% isn't bad. It's the threshold. For instance, if you have a big man who makes 50% of his shots, he should probably shoot like 15+ times per game because those percentages are in your favor. If you're a 33% 3-point shooter, you have the green light. His ranking in terms of percentage isn't useless, but it's not entirely relevant. Not saying we're Golden State, but if you're the 4th best shooter on Golden State, you're probably a really good shooter. Take away the guys with low 3-point attempts, and I'd guess his percentage would rank him in the 30's or so in the ACC. That puts him in/near the top 3 on each team. Again, I'm not saying he's awesome, nor am I advocating he shoot as much as he has, but he's been far from bad behind the arc in ACC play this season. The stats bear that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom