Class of 2015 - Derrick Jones | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Derrick Jones

I'm more excited for Jones than I am Bryant, Diagne etc.

Tyus Jones will announce in November...not Derrick Jones. He probably won't announce until next summer or fall.

At one point he was quoted as saying he wanted to commit early and get it out of the way for his senior season.

Jones at US Development Camp:

IMG_9220.JPG

What does it say beneath the S? I can't get a clear shot...
It says"CUSE"
He has visions of himself running out onto the floor of the Carrier Dome during introductions with 30,000+ screaming Syracuse lunatic fans chanting "Derrick! Derrick!"

Prototypical Syracuse frontcourt denizen... Just do it!

Every time I see this thread highlighted, I hope to see word from Jake (similar to the Moustapha Diagne post yesterday). Lock it down!

not sure if this was posted, but Jones sporting orange socks and shoes at the 8eye...
This entire clip is guys that Syracuse has historically pursued/is currently pursuing... it is awesome.

Every time I see this thread highlighted, I hope to see word from Jake (similar to the Moustapha Diagne post yesterday). Lock it down!

It would be a very important get for us moving forward. Not so much on the Jones front but the Gmac front.

Is this guy 6'6" or 6'8"... makes a huge difference. If 6'6" I'm not sure he belongs here.

Derrick Jones dunk mix.

If dunking is a basketball skill, you see exactly one skill in just about any of Jones' highlight videos. The kid can get up, that's for sure. But, in my opinion, he has alot to work on to become an elite college player.
great, a kid who can dunk. Give me wing who can also shoot threes.
Tyler Lydon, please stand up. I agree with you. Jones is an elite level athlete, but I haven't seen any video that shows any basketball skills besides dunking. And, most of those are without even dribbling to the basket. The kid has the athletic ability, but does he have the skills to be a contributing member of a division 1 basketball team, particularly from day 1, because you know he and his handlers are likely thinking one and done. I will be shocked if Tyler Lydon doesn't contribute more to Syracuse University than Mr. Jones to the school he chooses.

great, a kid who can dunk. Give me wing who can also shoot threes.

Only dunks used in this mix and most mixes with Jones. May be just the preference of the companies shooting him. I've seen his left-handed shot in some footage, looks good.

Don't care how he scores, as long as he scores. Attacking the rim was a HUGE issue last year. Triche could attack, but could not finish when it mattered.

Only dunks used in this mix and most mixes with Jones. May be just the preference of the companies shooting him. I've seen his left-handed shot in some footage, looks good.

Don't care how he scores, as long as he scores. Attacking the rim was a HUGE issue last year. Triche could attack, but could not finish when it mattered.
Even in the highlight dunk packages he doesn't dribble. He attacks the rim, with seemingly no way to get there unless a guard feeds him the ball at the basket. That could be way off base, he could be a victim here of just producing too many highlight real dunks. Personally, I love seeing the dunks, but then some nice outside shots. Jump shots off the dribble. Top of the key, from each wing and each corner. Mid range jumpers. Pull ups. A few nice passes. Blocked shots. Steals. He could have all that in his game, but it seems all they every show in highlight films is dunks. Contrast that to Chris McCullough. You see quite a bit to get excited about in his videos, from a well rounded offensive game to blocking shots and getting in passing lanes.

I remember a big time dunker, Stanley Robinson, who gave Cuse some trouble.

I remember a big time dunker, Stanley Robinson, who gave Cuse some trouble.
There are plenty of "big time dunkers" that turn out to be great players. Lebron James is one. Jones may have all kinds of skills, I just wish these skills were displayed in his highlight videos a bit more. Highlight videos should always be taken for what they are, highlight videos, but some are better than others, at least showing the capacity for a well rounded skill set. Francis reviews whole games, which seems like the best way. AWMKY has seen his shooting stroke and says it looks good. That is good to hear. Like I said, the kid could have mad skills, but I don't get excited over a dunk highlight real. That athleticism is a nice base for a basketball player, but skills are what makes a player special.

There are plenty of "big time dunkers" that turn out to be great players. Lebron James is one. Jones may have all kinds of skills, I just wish these skills were displayed in his highlight videos a bit more. Highlight videos should always be taken for what they are, highlight videos, but some are better than others, at least showing the capacity for a well rounded skill set. Francis reviews whole games, which seems like the best way. AWMKY has seen his shooting stroke and says it looks good. That is good to hear. Like I said, the kid could have mad skills, but I don't get excited over a dunk highlight real. That athleticism is a nice base for a basketball player, but skills are what makes a player special.
Jones upside is ridiculous and when evaluating him you have to think of what he could be in a few years. With that said, judging him currently I would say that if most people saw him in a full game that they would be disappointed. 95% of his points from his games that I've watched comes from dunks or around the hoop. His shooting form looks solid, but I've only seen him knock down one jump shot in 2 full games. His ball handling is solid as well, but I wouldn't say he's great off the bounce or anything like that. Right now I view him as strictly a SF. He measured out at 6'6, 180, 6'11 wingspan over the summer. He's only 16, so if he grows to be become 6'8 then I think I might view him differently. Right now I'm not taking this kid over Bryant, who is a beast and brings plenty of more versatility to the table imho.