Class of 2015 - Derrick Jones | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Derrick Jones

Jones upside is ridiculous and when evaluating him you have to think of what he could be in a few years. With that said, judging him currently I would say that if most people saw him in a full game that they would be disappointed. 95% of his points from his games that I've watched comes from dunks or around the hoop. His shooting form looks solid, but I've only seen him knock down one jump shot in 2 full games. His ball handling is solid as well, but I wouldn't say he's great off the bounce or anything like that. Right now I view him as strictly a SF. He measured out at 6'6, 180, 6'11 wingspan over the summer. He's only 16, so if he grows to be become 6'8 then I think I might view him differently. Right now I'm not taking this kid over Bryant, who is a beast and brings plenty of more versatility to the table imho.
The thing with that potential is, would he be willing to spend a minimum of three years in college developing? I do not know the answer to that, but I do know that if he wants to spend a year in college and then go to the NBA, and his one year is as a raw unpolished and largely unproductive player, I will take the four year program player that contributes for at least 2.5 years. If the one and done is like Carmelo, I take the Carmelo.

The thing with that potential is, would he be willing to spend a minimum of three years in college developing? I do not know the answer to that, but I do know that if he wants to spend a year in college and then go to the NBA, and his one year is as a raw unpolished and largely unproductive player, I will take the four year program player that contributes for at least 2.5 years. If the one and done is like Carmelo, I take the Carmelo.
Totally agree. I'll take a one and done kid any day of the week if we're talking about another Melo or Ant Davis. Currently I do not see that kind of player in Jones but you never know. I think he'll be in college for more than one year unless he grows another 2-3 inches over the next few years. The NBA loves their 6'8/6'9 jumping jacks out on the wings, but 6'6 players with limited skill sets I don't think so.

Offered by UCONN and North Carolina... Seems we are out or not interested, Francis?

Offered by UCONN and North Carolina... Seems we are out or not interested, Francis?
He was planning to visit last week for the IU game, so I assume interest is still there. I just think with several other options like Richardson, Bryant, etc that he's not really a main focal point like he was before.

FWIW, 247 gives SU a 70/30 chance over UK for him.

FWIW, 247 gives SU a 70/30 chance over UK for him.
Nah, that's old and dated. But don't worry, after Jones decides, the crystal ball will somehow get updated to look "magical".
:)

Am I way off base by thinking Bryant and either Diange or Diallo would be a better option? I mean I'll take a 5 star guy don't get me wrong and there is no guarentee on any of them so first come first served I guess. Better get on board now boys

I think Jones would be a 2 or 3 year player, and his last year he could be something ridiculous.

I want either Bryant/Diagne or Bryant/Jones. Not gonna get my hopes up for Diallo.

Either way, as long as we land Bryant, this is one of our best classes ever.

God dammit jdubbin!!! I thought you mentioned someone with Bjorn as there username!

By all means fill me in

Bjorn is a fcuking rockstar amongst rocking kicking and awesomeness. He is the legend we all need not the poster we deserve. He changed the means of thread hijacking. His best friend is nerlo rangel. He changed the face of this board. He swings at stars while other star at them. He knows where big foot resides. He is in love with Nerlens Noel. And he loves the circus!!!