Dino is back next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino is back next year

Let’s rewind three months. Experts forecast said 3.5 wins. Wildhack said expectations were to return to playing competitive football. Virtually everyone on this forum said just getting to a bowl would be a great accomplishment.
Look. The last month has been a killer. But this team was literally one play from getting to a bowl. Took Wake Forest to overtime. Played FSU and Clemson to the last snap. And list to Rutgers due to some of the most egregious calls I have seen from officiating in over 50 years as a fan.
There are no style points in football. If you want that, go watch figure skating. Team fulfilled the minimum requirements set by the AD, and that combined with the financial realities that a buyout would present assure that Dino will be at the helm when spring practice starts in 3 months.

All that being said, the seat is definitely hot in 2022. And the road is not an easy one. Need a complete rebuild of the D line, need to take a hard, honest look at the QB situation, need to uncover an impact WR. I line was greatly improved IMO, but injuries took a significant toll. I know the staff is very high on some of the young kids and feels they are the verge of contributing so I am more optimistic there.
Time for Dino to do an honest staff assessment and hit the portal quickly to get some potential answers here for the spring semester. I am in for one more year, but will join the critics if we are still having these discussions in 12 months.
Go Orange!

That's fine, it's your view. The fact is though, Dino has been here 6 years now, and only has had one winning season as well as a one win season. If you want to say the one win season is an outlier, then clearly a solid argument can be made that so was the 10 win one.

Throw out both, and Dino's track record has proven that (at the P5 level) he is a perennial 4.5 win and 7.5 loss coach. That is what he is. Thinking, hoping, etc. his results next year will really be any different, is futile in my opinion. Actually, if anything, with the seemingly tougher schedule next season (no Ohio U's or Albany U's built in/given type W's on the schedule) the odds are probable at < 4.5 wins.

I could go either way on the issue, the offense is currently broken whether its lack of scheming or the talent , since the strength of the team still wasn't even average in pass blocking so we can't really judge whether the scheme actually works since it was hope for 3 seconds to get the ball out. I wouldn't change just to change so it seems like we are in no man's land.

I know coaching is a far different profession then any other, but what are we taking about here?let a guy with horrible job performance for two strait years and 5 of 6 years keep his job one more year because the next guy will probably have growing pains his first year? What other profession would you ever say that? It would be a miracle if Dino came back and made a Bowl game, we have holes everywhere on this team. You fire Dino, hire somebody else and let them have next year to start their foundation. You do not keep Dino and let him keep adding to his already horrendous record.

I could go either way on the issue, the offense is currently broken whether its lack of scheming or the talent , since the strength of the team still wasn't even average in pass blocking so we can't really judge whether the scheme actually works since it was hope for 3 seconds to get the ball out. I wouldn't change just to change so it seems like we are in no man's land.
I get what you are saying, but Dino is an offensive head coach that is the killer IMO.

Bringing Dino back is, this is London at UVA all over again. Wildhack is a smart man, this is all about getting more money off the buyout and saving SUs finances for other areas. There's no reasonable person that looks at the last six years, what's coming back, our schedule next year and our less then stellar recruiting class and thinks "definitely getting to six next year". If we couldn't get to 6 this year withba down Clemson and FSU and easiest OOC in 30 years, hes never gonna do it.
Think also factoring in is the overall coaching carousel in play. USC, Florida and LSU need new coaches which causes a cascading impact down the line of open jobs that Syracuse would be competing with for a new coach if we fire Dino. When Liberty is paying $4 million a year for a coach, you know the cost of doing business is going up exponentially and to compete against similar P5 schools with more success this cycle is not ideal. The underlying hope in keeping Dino right now is that he precludes a mass exodus of talent via the transfer portal. Figure if he is fired then players like Tucker and Chestnut put themselves in the portal.

That said, I expect the change in coaches comes next year here unless Dino truly fixes the QB position. Need to find a mobile QB who can consistently hit WRs in their routes. Schrader for the first time since the Albany game completed more than 60% of his passes yesterday. He is the 123 ranked QB for completion percentage which That is not acceptable for a D1 QB and honestly I don't see it getting much better because if there was accuracy in Schrader's game, he isn't moved to WR at MSU by Mike Leach (can say a lot of things about Leach but one thing he knows how to do is develop successful D1 level passers).

What I am fearful of with keeping Dino is do we see Tony white poached by a top D1 program due to both money and job security here based on being tied to Dino

I know coaching is a far different profession then any other, but what are we taking about here?let a guy with horrible job performance for two strait years and 5 of 6 years keep his job one more year because the next guy will probably have growing pains his first year? What other profession would you ever say that? It would be a miracle if Dino came back and made a Bowl game, we have holes everywhere on this team. You fire Dino, hire somebody else and let them have next year to start their foundation. You do not keep Dino and let him keep adding to his already horrendous record.
Must never have heard the adage, " Throwing good money after bad".

dinos offense wasnt the same as gilberts
When you are a losing head coach, who was supposed to be an offensive guru, and the offense isn’t working with Gilbert you need to lead accordingly.

Much like the start of the season I’m still super meh about it all
Basketball team isn’t going to help
Appears Lacrosse will be a rebuild and not getting my hopes up
We’ll still show up next year whatever happens

Must never have heard the adage, " Throwing good money after bad".
Ohhh I have heard it, but with that thinking you never hire a new coach because the next guy might fail as well.

When you are a losing head coach, who was supposed to be an offensive guru, and the offense isn’t working with Gilbert you need to lead accordingly.
while also trying to do what is best to win

That's fine, it's your view. The fact is though, Dino has been here 6 years now, and only has had one winning season as well as a one win season. If you want to say the one win season is an outlier, then clearly a solid argument can be made that so was the 10 win one.

Throw out both, and Dino's track record has proven that (at the P5 level) he is a perennial 4.5 win and 7.5 loss coach. That is what he is. Thinking, hoping, etc. his results next year will really be any different, is futile in my opinion. Actually, if anything, with the seemingly tougher schedule next season (no Ohio U's or Albany U's built in/given type W's on the schedule) the odds are probable at < 4.5 wins.
My point is that the minimal requirements for the team were met this year and combined with the financial ramifications of a buyout the decision to keep Dino for another year is justifiable. Add to that the uncertainty that a coaching change would bring to the roster with different offensive and defensive schemes with the transfer portal and I think the chances of a winning team next year are better with Dino than without. Now I have many more seasons in my rear view than on the road in front of me, and if I were younger I might be more willing to rip off the bandaid and move on.
And please don’t try to sell the 10 win season as being the same level of anomaly as last year. I don’t think you can come close to naming mitigating factors at the level of COVID impacts and trying to install two new coordinators with no spring ball and a truncated summer program when we had roughly 10 full squad practices before our first game.

Yeah and good luck getting recruits/transfers with a lame duck coach.

No one is going to come here and get comfortable knowing the coach is about as close as possible to being fired.

Rip the band-aid off and get it done with is my opinion
Actually the portal may work to our advantage here. Easy out for players if there is a change that they are not aligned with.

Let’s rewind three months. Experts forecast said 3.5 wins. Wildhack said expectations were to return to playing competitive football. Virtually everyone on this forum said just getting to a bowl would be a great accomplishment.
Look. The last month has been a killer. But this team was literally one play from getting to a bowl. Took Wake Forest to overtime. Played FSU and Clemson to the last snap. And list to Rutgers due to some of the most egregious calls I have seen from officiating in over 50 years as a fan.
There are no style points in football. If you want that, go watch figure skating. Team fulfilled the minimum requirements set by the AD, and that combined with the financial realities that a buyout would present assure that Dino will be at the helm when spring practice starts in 3 months.

All that being said, the seat is definitely hot in 2022. And the road is not an easy one. Need a complete rebuild of the D line, need to take a hard, honest look at the QB situation, need to uncover an impact WR. I line was greatly improved IMO, but injuries took a significant toll. I know the staff is very high on some of the young kids and feels they are the verge of contributing so I am more optimistic there.
Time for Dino to do an honest staff assessment and hit the portal quickly to get some potential answers here for the spring semester. I am in for one more year, but will join the critics if we are still having these discussions in 12 months.
Go Orange!
Thats fair, appreciate the input.

Im really worried about attendance next year. The staffs exhausted its good will with the community. The notre dame games going to be a lot of green and gold.

Let’s hire the best HS coach within 6 hours for $250,000 and make/leave Dino as program ambassador for next year with no in game responsibilities. That way we can save on the buyout, and maybe catch lightning in a bottle on the field for an incremental $250. (wink Emoji)

Last edited:
Let’s hire the best HS coach within 6 hours for $250,000 and make/leave Dino as program ambassador for next year with no in game responsibilities. That way we can save on the buyout, and maybe catch lightning in a bottle on the field for an incremental $250.

Was this serious I have a hard time telling somethimes

Summary of the long text wall:What does dino need to do next year to be extended.

I think the question becomes if you keep Dino for next year what is the requirement to get a contract extension? Is 6-6 enough to extend him 3 more years? You can’t give a one year extension cause that just keeps him on the hot seat and 2 years doesn’t do anything to give recruits confidence he will stay. Is 5-7 good enough again? What is the minimum to consider it a good year. To me that’s a question that has to be answered. If a 6-6 year isn’t good enough then there is no reason to keep him next year imo because he has only hit that mark 1 year out of 6 which means there is a greater chance you have to fire him after the next year then extend him.

They are losing hundreds of thousands of sold tickets over the next several years as well as concessions and merchandise. Penny wise and pound foolish.
Hundreds of thousands??? I guess you haven't been paying attention to our average attendance these last 15 years. Did we even draw 200k total for 7 home games this year?

Summary of the long text wall:What does dino need to do next year to be extended.

I think the question becomes if you keep Dino for next year what is the requirement to get a contract extension? Is 6-6 enough to extend him 3 more years? You can’t give a one year extension cause that just keeps him on the hot seat and 2 years doesn’t do anything to give recruits confidence he will stay. Is 5-7 good enough again? What is the minimum to consider it a good year. To me that’s a question that has to be answered. If a 6-6 year isn’t good enough then there is no reason to keep him next year imo because he has only hit that mark 1 year out of 6 which means there is a greater chance you have to fire him after the next year then extend him.
I think 6 wins is a real stretch considering next year’s schedule.
Fear the Walking Dead.

Hundreds of thousands??? I guess you haven't been paying attention to our average attendance these last 15 years. Did we even draw 200k total for 7 home games this year?
probably just over because of 2 games of 32-35 k

Attendance is going to drop thru the floor next year and will be hard to recover going forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom