Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
so you know more than me but I imagine these “plenty” of big time programs did not guarantee him the starting PG spot? If they did and these programs were better than SH then it makes little sense
He went to Seton Hall because he's a tri-city kid. Wanted to be close to home - pretty sure mom was an influence here. Willard wanted him, but I don't believe he guaranteed him a starting spot. I don't think anyone was going to guarantee him a starting spot.

His rep as being a bit lazy was well earned and didn't start at Syracuse...but many D-1 coaches think that's a helluva easier problem to fix than trying to find another 6-6 playmaker. But he could have gone to higher profile programs.

And this has been a truth forever... JB is not the coach a kid who lacks motivation wants or needs. Its a bad mix. Has been as long as I can remember. Look up the name "eric williams".

Kadary was great, but after 6-7 minutes on the court, he was huffing and puffing. JB isn't going to run you ragged in practice, he expects you to do the conditioning on your own. Self motivated kids thrive in JB's system. Those that don't drown, quickly. JB has never had the patience.

right or wrong...and JB has been pretty consistent here, is that he thinks shooters need to start. Coming off the bench asking a guy to impact a game from deep...is something he thinks is much harder than coming off the bench being a hustle - playmaker. Just how he looks at it. Now I'm not sure Joe's situation fits in here...
You're absolutely right about JB's preference for the shooter. That's been the case forever. To a fault imo.

Quincy was sick of getting yelled at by JB and wanted to show an NBA game. Poor man's OB. FWIW I watched Dana Altman crush him in pressers too, difference is no one watches.

As far as KR goes his statline is the sweet spot where anyone here can rationalize their opinion on him:

Brissett was the better player as a FR for sure but pretty identical as a SO to 2nd year QG.

Quincy grabbed 8.4 rebounds on that team and would have probably gotten 10 per game if he stuck around. Syracuse was the absolute perfect spot for him and by far would have done the best job of sending him to the NBA we were his only shot and realistic path. But again Jimmy Jr at the practice center every day is going to make guys uneasy no wonder they all left even Marek bailed to play in a league that probably pays $10k/year USD if that.

so you know more than me but I imagine these “plenty” of big time programs did not guarantee him the starting PG spot? If they did and these programs were better than SH then it makes little sense

Even Kentucky tends to settle for players lesser than Kadary via the portal he absolutely had better options (I think Kentucky actually was one of them.) He hasn't left Seton Hall yet so he clearly had his reasons to go there even if it clearly wasn't a great basketball call.

Is he trying to force the Universities hand because he doesn't want to quit? Some people have a hard time quitting things?
ya think

Brissett was the better player as a FR for sure but pretty identical as a SO to 2nd year QG.

Quincy grabbed 8.4 rebounds on that team and would have probably gotten 10 per game if he stuck around. Syracuse was the absolute perfect spot for him and by far would have done the best job of sending him to the NBA we were his only shot and realistic path. But again Jimmy Jr at the practice center every day is going to make guys uneasy no wonder they all left even Marek bailed to play in a league that probably pays $10k/year USD if that.

Even Kentucky tends to settle for players lesser than Kadary via the portal he absolutely had better options (I think Kentucky actually was one of them.) He hasn't left Seton Hall yet so he clearly had his reasons to go there even if it clearly wasn't a great basketball call.

Are we sure Jimmy was hanging around at all the practices? They canceled the Ivy league season, but they didn't cancel school. You are expected to go to class and study at schools like that. I could see him driving home for weekends, but those are usually game days.

Are we sure Jimmy was hanging around at all the practices? They canceled the Ivy league season, but they didn't cancel school. You are expected to go to class and study at schools like that. I could see him driving home for weekends, but those are usually game days.
Yeah disregard that no clue I was just making a point that he couldn't have been far away with covid and all and it wasn't a well kept secret he was coming and hes still got to work out somewhere and get shots up. We went on that sweet 16 run despite a bunch of those guys knowing they were gone after the season.

This was after a win. I mean, if we have a bad loss, I don’t even know what will happen moving forward.

Only thing is that if it’s just local media, they may let him slide in the pressers and what not.

I dunno.
Road games suddenly have taken on greater interest.

Exactly. After the 2016 final four would have been a great opportunity. Even after a losing record last season, going out with his sons would have been a great way to end.
Especially since 2016 followed his **second major probation**.

I still can’t believe he wasn’t pushed out after that. It’s mind boggling.

I honestly can’t do this. I haven’t watched a full Cuse’ hoops game in years. I’ve been so turned off by Boeheim’s arrogance the last few years that this latest show of bravado doesn’t surprise me.

I’m fully done until JB is gone. Someone else pick up the Pick 3 MVPs mantle. I don’t care anymore. I can’t pretend to follow this team.

I honestly can’t do this. I haven’t watched a full Cuse’ hoops game in years. I’ve been so turned off by Boeheim’s arrogance the last few years that this latest show of bravado doesn’t surprise me.

I’m fully done until JB is gone. Someone else pick the Pick 3 MVPs mantle. I don’t care anymore.
But……who’s gonna start the post game MVP threads and tally up all the votes(including those for Ajak when he doesn’t even play?)

But……who’s gonna start the post game MVP threads and tally up all the votes(including those for Ajak when he doesn’t even play?)

I tried to do it as a way to keep excitement going, probably for myself most of all. I just can’t pretend I know when the next SU game is, or even who we’re playing. Gun to head, I couldn’t tell you.

I’ve been checked out for years.

I can understand that if they’re both wings.

But starting the shooter at PG….Kadary just did pretty much everything else better. Never understood that one.
And you don’t need the extra shooting of Joe if you’ve got a pg who can actually play defense, drive to the hoops and kick to buddy!

I can understand that if they’re both wings.

But starting the shooter at PG….Kadary just did pretty much everything else better. Never understood that one.
That hill JB chose to die on started way before Kadary got here. It started before Joe got here. It started when JG was getting recruited and we were the last man holding the bag

Especially since 2016 followed his **second major probation**.

I still can’t believe he wasn’t pushed out after that. It’s mind boggling.
It was so inconsequential and followed the Bernie thing that never got legs

If you were really paying attention, it all started in the final years of the Big East and was practically guaranteed by the move to the ACC. This is all sort of inevitable. Too bad it has to end this way. Nobody wants to see this. I wish there was another run left. I really do, but I think that’s just a pipe dream. I feel bad for him. He’s a jerk, yes, but simple and complicated all at the same time.

I just read the transcript of Jims ESPN interview and came away with a different take than what i had believed.
When you read it in its entirety, vs " Sound bites " it isnt bad. Yes he does say some things, notably that its his decision and yes he talks about teams buying players but i feel as if he is simply telling the truth as he believes it to be.
1: He has probably been told it is his decision. Forever, no but within the context of his current agreement im sure he is speaking the truth.
2: We did play good teams close. Yes we lost but as he points out " Not by 20" " that would be different ". So again hes being honest.
3: NIL. I thought he was spot on and honest.

So my two cents is Jim wasn't off the rails. He was Jim. He spoke his mind. He isn't PC which i actually like about him and what he said taken in full context isnt a big deal in my book.

I hate when he puts our kids down or jumps a young reporter. And i wish he didn't let his insecurity get in the way. As to this interview, listen to it in its entirety and make up your own mind.
Dont do what i did and judge without really listening to what he said within the flow of an interview.
Im fine with it and wouldn't have posted some of my post if i had taken the time to listen to the entire interview.

I just read the transcript of Jims ESPN interview and came away with a different take than what i had believed.
When you read it in its entirety, vs " Sound bites " it isnt bad. Yes he does say some things, notably that its his decision and yes he talks about teams buying players but i feel as if he is simply telling the truth as he believes it to be.
1: He has probably been told it is his decision. Forever, no but within the context of his current agreement im sure he is speaking the truth.
2: We did play good teams close. Yes we lost but as he points out " Not by 20" " that would be different ". So again hes being honest.

So my two cents is Jim wasn't off the rails. He was Jim. He spoke his mind. He isn't PC which i actually like about him and what he said taken in full context isnt a big deal in my book.

I hate when he puts our kids down or jumps a young reporter. And i wish he didn't let his insecurity get in the way. As to this interview, listen to it in its entirety and make up your own mind.
Dont do what i did and judge without really listening to what he said within the flow of an interview.
Im fine with it and wouldn't have posted some of my post if i had taken the time to listen to the entire interview.

I read the entire interview last night. I don’t see it the way you do. Not saying I’m right or you are wrong. I just read it a different way. I took it as a guy making it clear that he will be done on his terms. The only reason people are wondering if he is retiring is because of his age. 95% of Syracuse wants him to keep coaching. All these other teams that have gotten good are based on NIL buying players and we don’t do that. (There was an article about that very thing just 2 weeks ago and now the newest recruit we got flew in to town with rappers if I’m not mistaken). He literally talks about this 2 weeks after we got a recruit because of NIL. Then talks about playing 3 top programs very close. 2 ranked teams and one unranked team. Well he forgets to mention the Virginia Tech game just 2 games ago where we got boat raced.

What I’m getting at. He sounds like a guy trying to justify why he should stay on as coach and the disadvantages he has been at compared to other programs. 0 accountability on his part. He will not accept that he has done a poor job at roster management, keeping rosters together, and especially coaching. The game has evolved, he has not. He continues to do the same stuff over and over again that is not working. Blockbuster refused to change and now they are completely out of business. If you don’t adjust to the times you will just be passed by. The game of basketball has done that. Coaches need to change to be successful in this new era of college basketball. He doesn’t sound like a coach willing to change his stripes. It’s everyone’s else’s fault around him for changing with the times/rules. He screams like a “get off my lawn” guy. I will coach for as long as I want and no one else will make the decision for me. Nothing is wrong here. We are the same successful program we have always been. No one wants me to retire.

1675688112435.gif

Pretty much Boeheim whenever he opens his mouth at this point.

That’s exactly how I read it too. I read the first 15 pages of the forum before I read the actual article. I thought JB is losing it. Once I read the entire transcript, I had an entirely different take. I’m sure people can read it differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom