Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
"It was not my intention to imply otherwise."
Dr Evil Whatever GIF
He’s not wrong. He didn’t imply it. He stated it outright

A suspension can definitely come down from the ACC among other penalties.

With the very direct and scripted response he had to provide, clearly the conference wasn't playing around.
Thats probably true. I dont see a suspension for this. The Commissioner (Jim Philips I believe?) will probably tell him to knock it off. He may also tell Syverud and Wildhack, "take care of that, permanently, your making our league look bad."

DA Show made the comparison of JBs comments to Nick Sabans and big difference is Nick is still winning and can get away with that. JB is just digging his own grave.

Thats probably true. I dont see a suspension for this. The Commissioner (Jim Philips I believe?) will probably tell him to knock it off. He may also tell Syverud and Wildhack, "take care of that, permanently, your making our league look bad."

DA Show made the comparison of JBs comments to Nick Sabans and big difference is Nick is still winning and can get away with that. JB is just digging his own grave.

At this point I would guess the very clear statement was the alternative to additional actions. A moment of respect for a HOF coach to choose the option to make a clarifying statement.

Yeah the forced apologies must feel like a muzzle to him. Part of me feels like things might get interesting.

Maybe. I would imagine both Kent and John were not enthralled about him taking the liberties he did in commenting on his future to go with the other comments.

While autonomy in the decision is certainly an open secret.. no academic institution is going to be cozy with a basketball coach being so forward about having total control as part of a conversation that also contains statements that reflect poorly on the school and include accusations against fellow institutions.

Maybe. I would imagine both Kent and John were not enthralled about him taking the liberties he did in commenting on his future to go with the other comments.

While autonomy in the decision is certainly an open secret.. no academic institution is going to be cozy with a basketball coach being so forward about having total control as part of a conversation that also contains statements that reflect poorly on the school and include accusations against fellow institutions.
I agree. The whole thing was a mess.

Honest question -- did anyone think that things wouldn't end this way?

That JB wouldn't go out quietly, and some kind of meltdown / implosion would occur?
I did(n't*) until about March 2017. After that it was readily apparent that he would essentially be going out on a stretcher.

* ETA: I meant that I figured he would go out quietly with a nice retirement, but then Hop "left" and it was apparent who ran the AD and who wasn't going anywhere. That said this year has been shaping up to be a retirement season. No recruits for 2023, the Gerry and Hak retirement ceremony, the ring of honor thing ... seems likely, but who the hell knows. I just know that I want to see SU back in the top-25 before I retire.

Last edited:
You don’t have to tell him he can’t coach anymore. Just tell him he can’t coach at Syracuse anymore. This school doesn’t belong to him. And it also doesn’t owe him autonomy. He has been rightfully paid for his services rendered.

We have to have some sort of standards. You can’t let this kind of stuff keep happening. I don’t care how big and powerful the name is.

The bad thing is I don't think it is over yet and will get worse.

My lingering hope is he puts his head down and energy into getting this team on a run. Find something to hang the hat on.

It feels like with the recent string of pressers and interviews that could be a tough ask.

Yeah. Jim has forgotten that certain rights maybe granted behind the scenes are likely rights that could be revoked pretty quickly. Also JB may have over the years developed some good will as I think was noted by JW. That can go away as well with some stupidity. JB needs to very simply get out of the spotlight. Period. When the next postgame comes, keep it short and simple.

Honest question -- did anyone think that things wouldn't end this way?

That JB wouldn't go out quietly, and some kind of meltdown / implosion would occur?
Before Hopkins left, I was probably naive and thought it would end like that. After Hop left, yep I figured things would get ugly

JB is really leaving his successor (which I hate to say, is probably on our bench right now) a turd-filled bag that he lit on fire right before he rang the bell and ran off

JB is really leaving his successor (which I hate to say, is probably on our bench right now) a turd-filled bag that he lit on fire right before he rang the bell and ran off
The deeper this mess goes the more pressure gets taken off his internal replacement.

This will be a problem I think instead of it being a nice smooth transition it will be quick and forced. Which could leave to a lot of people leaving. On top of that we have nothing in our recruiting class for next year it could make for a very very bad season for whichever assistant gets stuck with the job. That is why I am not sure an assistant will make it to the fourth year after JB burns it down.

He went to Seton Hall because he's a tri-city kid. Wanted to be close to home - pretty sure mom was an influence here. Willard wanted him, but I don't believe he guaranteed him a starting spot. I don't think anyone was going to guarantee him a starting spot.

His rep as being a bit lazy was well earned and didn't start at Syracuse...but many D-1 coaches think that's a helluva easier problem to fix than trying to find another 6-6 playmaker. But he could have gone to higher profile programs.

And this has been a truth forever... JB is not the coach a kid who lacks motivation wants or needs. Its a bad mix. Has been as long as I can remember. Look up the name "eric williams".

Kadary was great, but after 6-7 minutes on the court, he was huffing and puffing. JB isn't going to run you ragged in practice, he expects you to do the conditioning on your own. Self motivated kids thrive in JB's system. Those that don't drown, quickly. JB has never had the patience.
If Kadary was my kid and knowing Joe was going to continue to dominate the minutes behind someone who had zero business playing point guard I would’ve advised him to leave too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom