Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
JB is the one who recently said the postseason is the only thing that matters.
Well, if an SU team makes the post season (the real tournament) it likely has won big games and posted 20 wins. Add a tournament run — and yes, that becomes what matters.

Note — just fill in the blanks to what JB said.

Black licorice isn’t actually candy, it’s the devil’s taint
Checks Out Season 2 GIF by The Office

What's a bit funny in this, is you have Axe, Ditota, Waters, Carlson to an extent, and others at 'not-syracuse-dot-com' that are local who cover JB/Cuse MBB... and he had a convo with Pete Thamel.

Gotta sting a bit lol

What's a bit funny in this, is you have Axe, Ditota, Waters, Carlson to an extent, and others at 'not-syracuse-dot-com' that are local who cover JB/Cuse MBB... and he had a convo with Pete Thamel.

Gotta sting a bit lol
Pete Thamel is a national writer that doesn't need to cover the team on a daily basis. That changes things.

Gotta sting a bit lol

same as it ever was...

IU has WON 10 tourney games since their Mike Davis final four run in 2002 with Knight's players. 10 including last year's first four win.

We've won 12 in the last 10 years since our current "downturn" began. I guarantee you there isn't one IU fan that wouldn't trade places for those results. Trust me, I'm surrounded by them.
And they're currently in the top 20.

I think he was talking about just guys on the roster now. And I agree advertising how little they make is not a great idea.

Reading between the lines, JB might not plan on being here in 2024 so he’s not counting that in his NIL comments.
Okay. But, still, his message was more broad—that 'we don't do that.' Which seems ridiculous.

I’m wondering if they committed to JB or to working with one of the assistants.
I'm thinking that, in this era, there isn't much of a commitment in any kind of commitment.

People go where they perceive to be the best opportunity and those opportunities change constantly.

If any of our current players are perceived as being valuable to some other program, won't they just get an offer we can't/won't/don't match? That's another thing about JB's 'style'—from the way he only works half a practice to the way he jerks players off the floor for a mistake—but only if you're not one of his pets... i can't see players having a sense of the kind of loyalty/affection for him that might compensate for a better offer. It is not a feel good situation right now—from the outside. If we were winning, sure, players respect the results if not the man. When we're not winning and not even getting into the tournament? I would not be surprised by any of our players leaving.

Pete Thamel is a national writer that doesn't need to cover the team on a daily basis. That changes things.

No i get that angle, but if it's Boeheim and retirement is in the headline, I could have interviewed him and it would have gotten national attention.

I think whenever JB retires, it'll be thamel who gets the call, assuming one is made.

Would be hilarious if he does a sit down with Andy Katz. Curveball!

JB is the one who recently said the postseason is the only thing that matters.

Hmmm, the dude who hasn’t been relevant in the regular season for like a decade, now thinks the postseason is the only thing that matters?

shocker. :rolleyes:

Hey JAB - problem with that brilliant hypothesis is -
A team must actually qualify to get into the postseason, for it to matter at all.

And we rarely do anymore.

So, IF we’re not having regular season success,
AND we’re not making it to the postseason (which is all that matters)
THEN why should Cuse keep rolling with the same HC who can do neither of those things anymore?

Last edited:
I don't understand how he thinks NIL would work and not be pay for play. NCAA can't even manage policing illegal bribes. Now he wants them to police the legal ones?

I think the best way to manage NIL money is to put the money in a giant pot, managed by the NCAA. Coaches can be named administrators and get 10% off the top. The school gets 20%, the NCAA 20%, 40% to the tax man, and then the players agent gets 5%. Seems like a good deal!

The only thing worse than Boheim are sanctimonious reporters. But, Jimmy has brought this upon himself.

It's hard to argue that college sports isn't complete chaos at the moment. Conference realignment, soaring TV rights deals, facilities wars, the transfer portal, NIL... it's a mess and there's no way to really reign it in absent a massive restructuring of everything.

However, this is the landscape that JB has chosen to coach in. There's literally not a coach in college sports that's more retirement-ready than him. So if he chooses to continue, he needs to stop whining.

It's hard to argue that college sports isn't complete chaos at the moment. Conference realignment, soaring TV rights deals, facilities wars, the transfer portal, NIL... it's a mess and there's no way to really reign it in absent a massive restructuring of everything.

However, this is the landscape that JB has chosen to coach in. There's literally not a coach in college sports that's more retirement-ready than him. So if he chooses to continue, he needs to stop whining.

Agreed. I just read the article about behind AW talking about NIL. Boeheim's remarks on the subject seem much more rational today.

Paraphrasing:. Times have changed, and this is the new circumstances facing college basketball. He'll leave it to someone else to determine whether it's good or bad, but it's reality.

Last edited:

Absolutely. I'm sure this will be made clear to him.

On the other hand, JB has unwittingly now created the "perfect" narrative to step down. Both for himself and for the university. Basketball is an "awful place;" other teams are "buying players;" "it's crazy, that's why those other guys (K, Brey, Williams, Wright) got out." "95% of Syracuse people still want me to coach." "I know it's my choice. I can do whatever I want."

I still believe that the administration will allow JB to retire with dignity, even IF behind the scenes the tides are shifting to nudging/pushing him out the door. I don't think he will be publically fired, or that we will hear something about "going in a different direction with our leadership in the basketball program."

If JB doesn't retire of his own volition and is instead nudged out (now or in the future), the public face of this will be that it was ultimately JB's choice. "Most people still want me to coach. I know that I still can. This has nothing to do with age. Everybody knows we are getting better and the program is in good shape. It was my choice to step down. Just like all those other guys did."

Adapt or fail. All the complaining in the world changes nothing.
Yeah. I somewhat agree with some of the points on NIL or Pay for play, etc. I disagree with others.

But the point I’ve been making for like a year now on both boards. It’s reality. It’s not going away. Even JB agreed to that point in the latest presser.

So the options are:
- play by the new rules (there are none)
- step away and opine about the good old days

Wishing it will go away isn’t an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom