Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
-16 when we went to the final four we probably only made the tournament because Hopkins coached 9 games that year.
Hop screws us again!

He mentioned everyone in his young core, added Jesse and Joe because they have eligibility remaining, but left out Benny.
Just read the whole article for the first time and noticed this as well. I guess the die is cast.

Walter White Danger GIF by Breaking Bad

What if we shake a fist at it?

In another year or two or 5 or 10, people will pine for where we are today with the coach we have and the standing we have in the league. Watch. I've seen this movie many times before.

I appreciate what we've got here, warts and all. He's not wrong.
Fair enough.
But Father Time is undefeated. No great athlete, coach, or team has bested him.
Nothing against JB- his "personality" has never been an issue w/ me, and he's a helluva coach. We WILL miss him...terribly.
That doesn't change the fact that it's time for him to go. How he goes, is/was largely up to him...and he's blowing it.

Last edited:
Fair enough.
But Father Time is undefeated. No great athlete, coach, or team has bested him.
Nothing against JB- his "personality" has never been an issue w/ me, and he's a helluva coach. We WILL miss him...terribly.
That doesn't change the fact that it's time for him to go. How he goes, is/was largely up to him...and he's blowing it.
Yup. Folks want JAB and the program to succeed. But we’re not blinded by the history to know what’s happening. He’s been an instrumental figure in the history of the program. It’s why he should know better and step back. It’s not about him. For the same reason he doesn’t want a farewell tour is the same reason he needs to let it go.

Am I the only one that noticed that more people voted in the poll at the beginning of this thread in the last 48 hours (I.e since JB’s Thamel interview) than the whole time since it was originally posted until then?

That would have to be a compromise as he doesn't want to announce in advance and doesn't want fanfare. That said, the way he's going, the fanfare won't matter.

He simply wants to walk away when he's done, which is also why the article made no sense. He didn't need to commit to next year at this point with a probably. It was because of ego and not liking what people say in the community. He always responds this way and has gotten worse with age. The more his back is up against the wall, the more he is going to dig in. I truthfully don't see this ending nice unless Julie is heavily involved.
When we first learned he didn’t want fanfare, it was quaint, sweet, humble. Perhaps a gracious way to deal with this.

Now, though, it is effectively a selfish move—hijacking the future.

it may be more comfortable for JB, but the mystery is compromising the program. Not sure how many gifts he’s entitled to. He got more years after the first retirement date. He got Mike out of the way. He got one son. Then another. Now, an indefinite stay of execution.

I wonder if it really will be more comfortable for him in the end. He doesn’t have to deal with the goodbye ceremonial nonsense in each road arena, but he does have to deal with all the questions, which he doesn’t like.

Absolutely. I'm sure this will be made clear to him.

On the other hand, JB has unwittingly now created the "perfect" narrative to step down. Both for himself and for the university. Basketball is an "awful place;" other teams are "buying players;" "it's crazy, that's why those other guys (K, Brey, Williams, Wright) got out." "95% of Syracuse people still want me to coach." "I know it's my choice. I can do whatever I want."

I still believe that the administration will allow JB to retire with dignity, even IF behind the scenes the tides are shifting to nudging/pushing him out the door. I don't think he will be publically fired, or that we will hear something about "going in a different direction with our leadership in the basketball program."

If JB doesn't retire of his own volition and is instead nudged out (now or in the future), the public face of this will be that it was ultimately JB's choice. "Most people still want me to coach. I know that I still can. This has nothing to do with age. Everybody knows we are getting better and the program is in good shape. It was my choice to step down. Just like all those other guys did."
I don’t think it was done unwittingly.

It's hard to argue that college sports isn't complete chaos at the moment. Conference realignment, soaring TV rights deals, facilities wars, the transfer portal, NIL... it's a mess and there's no way to really reign it in absent a massive restructuring of everything.

However, this is the landscape that JB has chosen to coach in. There's literally not a coach in college sports that's more retirement-ready than him. So if he chooses to continue, he needs to stop whining.
That's a good take.

I live outside of Boston. At 4pm Saturday, I saw on twitter that we were playing BC in Chestnut Hill. I used to get tix for this game months in advance. I had no idea. My son came in (also an alum). I told him. He didn’t know either that we were at BC. None of his local cuse buds were going to the game or cared. We used to set our agendas around SU games. We didn’t watch it.

This program has been in free fall for years. Who cares about a newspaper article. An Unwatchable product has been put in the court for years. Time for a change.

Ten years in the ACC and they haven’t sniffed a championship.

Sad

He’s gotta hang it up as soon as the seasons over. He’s looked so weak and out of touch with these comments after games and then back peddling the next day.

I for one, am extremely interested to see how he handles his post game press conference Wednesday. Pretty confident a few people at the university had a nice long talk with Jim today. He’s gonna feel the pressure to retire turned up a lot for the rest of the season and then even more once the season ends without even an NIT bid. It’s been time Jim, like 5 seasons ago kinda time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom