Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
That is what's odd to me.

Again, and this is just a guess with no inside info, I don't know how "close personal friend" AW is to JB when push comes to shove.

Nor do I care, tbh.

What is true is that AW is actively participating in the NIL, is publicly promoting it and, whatever the rules say, it's inherently tied to the program and SU, overall. Anyone with a brain knows that NIL and the programs are tethered.

And what's really odd to me is that we are a program that has two probations under our belt and a number of likely other dicey things dating back a long way ago (and I want to be clear here, I don't think we're some rogue actor, just being part of the way the system worked).
As long as the SU compliance office is comfortable with what AW is doing it gives him cover and supposedly they know what is acceptable and what is not. My guess is the whole fraternity of college compliance offices have collectively come up with their definition of what is acceptable and feel comfortable that the NCAA can't possibly come after everybody at this point. Some schools may be a little more aggressive rather than nibble around the edges of what NIL is in reality, but I think they feel safe from a very weak and undermined NCAA at this point.

So your prediction is we go from a mid pack also ran program which hasn't been ranked in half a decade, to far worse than that.. even given the pedigree and pluses we have as Syracuse University. #5 all time winningest program. JMA Dome. ACC... Clearly an optimist eh Rags?
I've watched it first hand living in Bloomington with Indiana, a team that arguably is as strong or stronger than us historically. They've been mostly irrelevant since Knight retired and have been a revolving door of coaches ready to "bring them back.". They have a great arena, a rich conference,.and the state breeds high-level bball talent. We've been better than them in this time even in our "down years."

I've watched it first hand living in Bloomington with Indiana, a team that arguably is as strong or stronger than us historically. They've been mostly irrelevant since Knight retired and have been a revolving door of coaches ready to "bring them back.". They have a great arena, a rich conference,.and the state breeds high-level bball talent. We've been better than them in this time even in our "down years."
Yes Indiana is a negative example. Plenty of programs have improved as well, no? Freakin Purdue is #1 in the country. Arizona is top 5 and lined up for a second straight top tourney seed. On and on. Hell, SH, Providence and Rutgers have had better recent pasts than us. We are punching miles below our weight.

Plenty of programs have done well with replacement coaches. Is it guaranteed, no of course not. But to presume we will be worse than our recent past / current trajectory is overly pesimisitic by most rational standards.

Good comparison, but they didnt put up with Knights antics even while he was still getting them to ncaa tournaments. And yes they have had ups and downs since Knight left, made a title game in 02 IIRC. I know SU beat them in ot in the dome last year but they also just beat the #1 team in the country on Saturday. Davis had some success initially, Crean had #1 seed that got beat by Cuse, Miller stunk for the most part and Woodson can at least get them ranked in year 2. We havent been ranked in ages.

So, as long as we stay away from Tom Crean ... golden.

On a season by season basis, sure? They've had two definitely worse seasons, usually at a coaching change. IU has also had some pretty good success. In the last 8 seasons, IU has had three different head coaches, but each one was able to field a top-25 team during conference play. Something that St. JAB hasn't done in 9 years.

Good comparison, but they didnt put up with Knights antics even while he was still getting them to ncaa tournaments. And yes they have had ups and downs since Knight left, made a title game in 02 IIRC. I know SU beat them in ot in the dome last year but they also just beat the #1 team in the country on Saturday. Davis had some success initially, Crean had #1 seed that got beat by Cuse, Miller stunk for the most part and Woodson can at least get them ranked in year 2. We havent been ranked in ages.

One thing that I think IS comparable is that Bobby Knight couldn't keep his mouth shut, either -- and ended up cutting his own throat because of it.

I'm not comparing what Knight's physical bullying was to how JB acts, but the overt defiance is similar.

Remains to be seen whether the administration at SU takes a more directive stance with JB, like Indiana did with Knight.

Agree with the first half, disagree with the 2nd half. They have been better than us the last 9 regular seasons. We made a few crazy NCAAT runs to mask that fact.

JB can learn from all the new ACC coaches and the way they handle things. Sad our almost 80 year old coaches needs to be taught how to act again.

2:30 in the morning? Was JB in full panic mode?
If someone called me at 2:30 in the morning
Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Agree with the first half, disagree with the 2nd half. They have been better than us the last 9 regular seasons. We made a few crazy NCAAT runs to mask that fact.

Your take might not be hot but it’s definitely warm.

Objectively, removing the tourney runs, Indiana has not been better than us the last 9 seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom