Dungey as the #2 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey as the #2

RF2044 said:
Winning now doesn't = looking to the future. Seems pretty logical. And has zero to do with Dungey being the second best option. Kudos to him--I hope that's true. I also hope that Dungey doesn't get a snap, while Hunt leads us to a bowl. Because, as you point out, we need to win now.

Honest to god Ryan, do you think this coaching staff, with a new AD breathing down its neck, is going to move a true frosh to 2nd string if they didn't think he was the second best QB. No offense, but you must think our staff is a bunch of idiots.

Lo lease explain to me what they are thinking, by moving Dungey to second string and telling everyone he's next in line?

Nobody runs base during mop up? Ok.

If they burn his shirt early, I'm confident he'll get sufficient reps.

I am meaning full O. In mop up a team will run on 1st, run on 2nd, and only if need be pass on 3rd down.

Honest to god Ryan, do you think this coaching staff, with a new AD breathing down its neck, is going to move a true frosh to 2nd string if they didn't think he was the second best QB. No offense, but you must think our staff is a bunch of idiots.

Lo lease explain to me what they are thinking, by moving Dungey to second string and telling everyone he's next in line?

Jake, I think you are seriously misinterpreting my points. I have ZERO objection to the coaches naming Dungey 2nd string, nor do I object to the prospect of him being the second best [or maybe the best, in terms of long term potential] QB on the roster.

That is a completely different thing than suggesting that him playing this year as a true frosh, or burning an entire year of eligibility over 20-25 snaps [as you've suggested] is worthwhile. See the difference?

OttoinGrotto said:
It depends on what you view as the purpose of your #2 and how that plays in to winning now. If the purpose is to have someone ready to go in the event Hunt goes down, Dungey is your 2, and you hand him the ball and tell him to win some games this all makes sense. If Dungey is your 2 and we're winning comfortably and Lester says "hey, let's put Dungey in so he can knock some rust off," that isn't accomplishing anything towards the end of winning now. I don't understand why posters are trying to have this both ways. It's bizarre. We need to win now! Dungey helps us win now! We need Dungey ready for 2016! A handful of snaps that don't help us win now does that! :chest thump:

Not a hard concept to grasp...he's the best talent on the team, and other than an experienced Hunt, he gives us the second best chance to win this year, and it also helps prepare him for next.

It's. Really. Not. That. Hard.

If we gameplan to get Dungey snaps every week then I think it is a good idea to let him play. If it is just mop up then he isn't learning anything. Remember that coaches rarely throw in the towel no matter what the score. Heck last year Hunt's injury may have been partly Shafer's fault because he was reluctant to admit defeat. If Dungey only sees time vs RI, CMU, and LSU is it worth it? Especially if that time is 85% handoffs?

I made it clear in my previous posts that I don't think him exclusively handing the ball off will help him improve all that much. It depends on your own definition of "mop up". Mop up to me is going in the last two minutes and taking a knee or handing the ball of to run the clock out. If Dungey goes in for a couple series and gets a chance to move the chains even if its at the end of a game, I definitely think it is worth it. I don't think it necessarily has to be game planned Nassib style.

OttoinGrotto said:
It depends on what you view as the purpose of your #2 and how that plays in to winning now. If the purpose is to have someone ready to go in the event Hunt goes down, Dungey is your 2, and you hand him the ball and tell him to win some games this all makes sense. If Dungey is your 2 and we're winning comfortably and Lester says "hey, let's put Dungey in so he can knock some rust off," that isn't accomplishing anything towards the end of winning now. I don't understand why posters are trying to have this both ways. It's bizarre. We need to win now! Dungey helps us win now! We need Dungey ready for 2016! A handful of snaps that don't help us win now does that! :chest thump:

Huh? I think people are saying getting Dungey meaningful snaps this year prepares him to hit the ground running next year and that's more important to the program than the 2019 season.

Not a hard concept to grasp...he's the best talent on the team, and other than an experienced Hunt, he gives us the second best chance to win this year, and it also helps prepare him for next.

It's. Really. Not. That. Hard.
What RF said right above your post.

It's very obvious that the staff is excited about Dungey and his readiness to play NOW. When was the last time we heard stuff like that about a true freshman QB at SU? 21 years ago with McNabb? And yeah, I know McNabb redshirted.

Put me in the play Dungey meaningful snaps now camp, let's see what he's got, and let's pray he is as good as the staff seems to think he is. Game experience now better prepares him should he have to take over for Hunt later in the year. And meaningful game experience this year makes Dungey a better QB from the first game next year. And we desperately need to accelerate Dungey's development because we need to win NOW.
This has not been given enough emphasis in this discussion IMO.

Huh? I think people are saying getting Dungey meaningful snaps this year prepares him to hit the ground running next year and that's more important to the program than the 2019 season.
The question is how "meaningful" gets defined.

CUSU said:
I made it clear in my previous posts that I don't think him handing the ball off will help him improve all that much. It depends on your own definition of "mop up". Mop up to me is going in the last two minutes and taking a knee or handing the ball of to run the clock out. If Dungey goes in for a couple series and gets a chance to move the chains even if its at the end of a game, I definitely think it is worth it. I don't think it necessarily has to be game planned Nassib style.

I think Lester meant "if we have a big lead going into the 4th q, he'll play the 4th q" not "I hope to run him out there to take a knee"

OttoinGrotto said:
The question is how "meaningful" gets defined.

Yeah, I get that. I don't think Lester/Shafer will burn it to hand off and take a knee.

I think Lester meant "if we have a big lead going into the 4th q, he'll play the 4th q" not "I hope to run him out there to take a knee"

Agreed, it would be stupid to run him out there to to give 1 or 2 handoffs and a knee.

Here's my thing: I don't want to see him come in for one series in the fourth quarter and hand off three straight times in mop up duty. There's no benefit to that. If we're up 35-3 on Friday heading into the 4th quarter? I'm fine with giving him the entire 4th quarter. That's legitimate PT. If he gets legitimate playing opportunities this year, I'm fine with burning his redshirt. But don't put him in the game just for the sake of putting him in the game and have him hand it off a few times before yanking him back out.

I think go is saying he's the most talented guy on the roster, but it doesn't make up for game experience that Hunt has.

If he's that much better than Hunt, than start him and go all in.

I don't dispute that Hunt has warts, that he isn't an NFL prospect, or that other players might have better long term potential. But I seriously doubt that a true frosh who didn't garner in-state offers from either of the two in state teams is ready to come in and lead us to a bowl THIS YEAR. And again, I love Dungey--I hope he ends up being the second coming here. I hope he's a four year starter for us--hence, why I'm advocating that we don't burn a redshirt year for some token snaps.

I'm not refuting the coaching staff as you suggest above, assessing that Dungey is a darkhorse that could be a great player in our system. Disco. Can't wait to see that.

And if he's better than Hunt now--which I find difficult to believe, not because I think Hunt is so great, but because so few true frosh QBs are adequately prepared to play their true freshman years--then play him now, and play him extensively.

can we all agree on this point...that sending him out there for 3 handoffs and a knee for 5 games is pointless?

Yes -- I think we all [or at least most of us] agree on that.

Reactions: 007
Here's my thing: I don't want to see him come in for one series in the fourth quarter and hand off three straight times in mop up duty. There's no benefit to that. If we're up 35-3 on Friday heading into the 4th quarter? I'm fine with giving him the entire 4th quarter. That's legitimate PT. If he gets legitimate playing opportunities this year, I'm fine with burning his redshirt. But don't put him in the game just for the sake of putting him in the game and have him hand it off a few times before yanking him back out.
That's all RF and I have been saying.

Yeah, I get that. I don't think Lester/Shafer will burn it to hand off and take a knee.
We also didn't think Morant would have shown up in the red zone and then disappeared for a season, so...:noidea:

That's all RF and I have been saying.
That's how I interpreted what you were both saying.

Side note: it's nice to finally get online today after an absurdly busy day and discover that my golden boy is, indeed, being groomed to take the reins at QB. Not much of a secret that I've been high on Eric Dungey for a long, long time.

That's how I interpreted what you were both saying.

Side note: it's nice to finally get online today after an absurdly busy day and discover that my golden boy is, indeed, being groomed to take the reins at QB. Not much of a secret that I've been high on Eric Dungey for a long, long time.

1 season of quality QB play [and possibly 2-3 others of generally acceptable QB play] over 16 years...

Can't wait to see what Dungey, Long, and Culpepper can do. We need to end this drought.