Eli Manning | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Eli Manning

cliftonparksufan said:
I love this entire thread. Everyone can make a different argument on why their guy is better. I'm a Giants fan so naturally I am going to but a ton more weight on Super Bowl rings. Isn't that why they play the game? What people don't give Eli credit for is how he has handled the NY pressure for 11 seasons. People can call him a goober or whatever, but he is incredibly smart and knowledgeable in his handling of the media. It could be because of his dad and brother, but that's a huge reason why Giants fans always give Eli a pass. Same with TC. Both are very savvy in the way they carry themselves.

But let's go back to Tony Romo and Phillip Rivers. When they get to two Super Bowls rings, feel free to start your comparisons.

I agree on the way he has handled NYC, he couldn't have done it any better. I always compare that to if Rivers stayed as the draft pick - it would have been a nightmare and in my opinion he probably would be out of the league and considered a bust.

I'd love to see one of these guys reach the open market to see how much they would get.
Eli would make a fortune on the open market. I cannot imagine what QB-starved teams like the Bills and Jets would pay. The Giants would be insane to let that happen. If he becomes the highest paid player for six months until the next guy's turn, so be it. These days, if you have a decent QB, you don't let him go.

I agree on the way he has handled NYC, he couldn't have done it any better. I always compare that to if Rivers stayed as the draft pick - it would have been a nightmare and in my opinion he probably would be out of the league and considered a bust.
Plus I should have said the Giants fans were very patient with Eli because he was a Manning. Two Super Bowl rings later all Giants fans have been rewarded for their belief.

QB win/loss record
Peyton Manning 190-90
Tom Brady 181-55
Drew Brees 124-89
Ben Rothlisberger 116-57
Eli Manning 100-79
Philip Rivers 92-61
Joe Flacco 82-45
Tony Romo 77-52
Aaron Rodgers 76-38
Carson Palmer 70-75
Matt Ryan 67-48
Jay Cutler 62-59
Russell Wilson 42-14
Andrew Luck 36-18

QB win/loss record
Peyton Manning 190-90
Tom Brady 181-55
Drew Brees 124-89
Ben Rothlisberger 116-57
Eli Manning 100-79
Philip Rivers 92-61
Joe Flacco 82-45
Tony Romo 77-52
Aaron Rodgers 76-38
Carson Palmer 70-75
Matt Ryan 67-48
Jay Cutler 62-59
Russell Wilson 42-14
Andrew Luck 36-18
Can you also whip up a list of all time record in the playoffs and the Super Bowl. People remember Mr. October, not Mr. May. I've been waiting to use that analogy since I saw that the Yankees gave Greg Bird, a rookie, number 31. Sorry Dave Winfield. Don't hold your breath that you will be getting a plaque in Monument Park anytime soon.

Can you also whip up a list of all time record in the playoffs and the Super Bowl. People remember Mr. October, not Mr. May. I've been waiting to use that analogy since I saw that the Yankees gave Greg Bird, a rookie, number 31. Sorry Dave Winfield. Don't hold your breath that you will be getting a plaque in Monument Park anytime soon.

The guy you want to compare him to is Roethlisberger. They are the top two guys of the 04 class and I'm taking Ben over Eli. He's far more consistent and throws a lot less interceptions.

Postseason W/L
Tom Brady 12 appearances in 14 years 21-8, 6 SB Appearance 4-2
Peyton Manning 14 appearances in 16 years 11-13, 3 SB Appearance 1-2
Joe Flacco 6 appearances in 7 years 10-5, 1 SB Appearance 1-0
Ben Rothlisberger 7 appearances in 11 years 10-5, 3 SB Appearance 2-1
Eli Manning 5 appearances in 11 years 8-3, 2 SB Appearance 2-0
Russell Wilson 3 appearances in 3 years 6-2, 2 SB Appearance 1-1
Drew Brees 6 appearances in 14 years 6-5, 1 SB Appearance 1-0
Aaron Rodgers 6 appearances in 7 years(he sat for 3 years behind Favre) 6-5, 1 SB Appearance 1-0
Philip Rivers 5 appearances in 11 years 4-5, 0 SB Appearance
Andrew Luck 3 appearances in 3 years 3-3, 0 SB Appearance
Tony Romo 4 appearances in 9 years(he sat for 1 year) 2-4, 0 SB Appearance

Andrew Luck was anointed the best QB prospect since Peyton. Everything he has done since then has backed up that talk. His teams have been garbage and it's because of him they've even made the playoffs.

If you take Andrew Luck off of the Colts, they are a 3-13 team, if you take eli off that first giants team that won the sb, and replace him with a halfway decent qb, they still win the sb.

Manning really is a class-act; especially that time he refused to play for the team that drafted him.
And John Elway, among others, have done the same thing. When you are that good, you get to make the call.

The guy you want to compare him to is Roethlisberger. They are the top two guys of the 04 class and I'm taking Ben over Eli. He's far more consistent and throws a lot less interceptions.
Exactly and I would say Big Ben has a slight advantage right now on Manning.

donniesyracuse said:
Manning really is a class-act; especially that time he refused to play for the team that drafted him.

Who in their right mind would want to play for that chargers team at the time. Just like the discussion we are having now: if you have the power you control it.

The extent to which the #1 pick in the draft (for whom the Giants had to give up additional picks) is better than an undrafted QB from a 1AA school is debatable. That's pretty amazing.

Alsacs said:
Exactly and I would say Big Ben has a slight advantage right now on Manning.

And the same thing people hold against Eli for the first SB, you can hold against Ben. Except Ben's a train wreck off the field - that counts for something when you're the head of an organization.

It's all subjective (to an extent) and everyone has their guy. Thing is though, Romo ain't won crap and really doesn't belong in the discussion.

I want to know Kaisers thoughts on this discussion.

And the same thing people hold against Eli for the first SB, you can hold against Ben. Except Ben's a train wreck off the field - that counts for something when you're the head of an organization.

It's all subjective (to an extent) and everyone has their guy. Thing is though, Romo ain't won crap and really doesn't belong in the discussion.
Ben has made 2 more conference championship games, and 1 more Super Bowl than Eli. Sorry his resume is better. Off the field doesn't matter.
Eli does not have a better resume stats or wins than Ben unless you want to be a Big Blue supporter.
Ben sucked in SB 40 but his team won. Eli was mediocre in SB 42 but his team won.

donniesyracuse said:
Romo has a better winning percentage than Manning and your grammar is disgusting. ;)

Eli is 100% in super bowls, Romo is 0%.

And, I feel my grammar fits the discussion just fine!

I want to know Kaisers thoughts on this discussion.
upload_2015-8-18_23-8-51.jpeg

If he comments.

Alsacs said:
Ben has made 2 more conference championship games, and 1 more Super Bowl than Eli. Sorry his resume is better. Off the field doesn't matter.
Eli does not have a better resume stats or wins than Ben unless you want to be a Big Blue supporter.
Ben sucked in SB 40 but his team won. Eli was mediocre in SB 42 but his team won.

Off the field does matter though.when you are the head of a team.

Ben had a historic run in his first SB, no denying that. He should thank the bus just like Eli can thank Tyree.

I'll be the first to admit that before the draft I wanted Ben, but that didn't happen and as a giants fan I'm glad. Ben's off field issues in NYC would not have gone over well.

This is a better argument than Eli versus Romo. It's Ben's recent deal, among others, that is giving Eli the leverage now, which no-one can blame him for using.

donniesyracuse said:
Yes, it also goes along perfectly with the confederate flag on your Silverado.:rolling:

While I may have a Silverado, I'm arguing for the north here... confused by the reference!