ESPN reporting... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN reporting...

I agree with this but you have to keep in mind there now appears to be an issue with extra benefits as well. As Jake noted that seems to have come out of nowhere and no one is sure what exactly that means. Is it something minimal is it a big issue no one knows. At this point with the NCAA its hard to know what were looking at. Could be a slap on the wrist or it could be a dropping of the hammer, there so inconsistent who the hell knows.

Understand...but can only base my opnions on what we know right now...I am open to the idea that there may be more, but all it would be would be me basing an opnion on speculation, which typically never works out well...

Will the ncaa take in consideration the botched reffing in the OSU game, pulling Fab out before the NCAA tourney, and taking Chinos year away as punishment already? Wouldn't that be not double jeopardy but dare I say triple jeopardy?

The prior suspensions of both of those guys can only help our case especially if Syracuse suspended them not the NCAA.

Understand...but can only base my opnions on what we know right now...I am open to the idea that there may be more, but all it would be would be me basing an opnion on speculation, which typically never works out well...
Bro like they said just get a dart board out. There's always more.

I agree with this but you have to keep in mind there now appears to be an issue with extra benefits as well. As Jake noted that seems to have come out of nowhere and no one is sure what exactly that means. Is it something minimal is it a big issue no one knows. At this point with the NCAA its hard to know what were looking at. Could be a slap on the wrist or it could be a dropping of the hammer, there so inconsistent who the hell knows.

Chipotle Discounts ?

The prior suspensions of both of those guys can only help our case especially if Syracuse suspended them not the NCAA.
Ok now explain the botched game against osu.

Extra benefits could be something as stupid as an athletic department tutor giving a player a ride to South Campus from Manley.

They've been investigating for 2+ years. They were bound to find something.

I've resigned myself to a one year post-season ban and some vacated wins...which will hopefully be this year. Genuinely believe that will be a bump in the road. A two-year ban would be devastating, and would take a few years to recover, but we would recover.

Lock up the the NCAA infraction committee with Shafer and company...door locked, lots of yelling and banging noises...door opens and NCAA announces themselves as being suspended for two years, vacating their accrued sick/annual leave/days off and no Holiday parties for three years, plus probation for five years...

Extra benefits could be something as stupid as an athletic department tutor giving a player a ride to South Campus from Manley.

I've resigned myself to a one year post-season ban and some vacated wins...which will hopefully be this year. Genuinely believe that will be a bump in the road. A two-year ban would be devastating, and would take a few years to recover, but we would recover.

Ya I am kind of in the same boat. Really really hoping for a slap on the wrist because honestly I haven't seen any proof of any major violations or anything that bad but with Syracuse's track record with anything involving the NCAA im expecting a bad outcome here aka a post season ban. I can't imagine a two year ban though, christ that would be devestating.

Should be no post-season ban.
Should be no vacated wins.
Maybe a loss of schollies for basketball/football.
Maybe probation.

We self reported and suspended the players ourselves and only reinstated after approval from the NCAA...Plus the university made changes to correct the issue...if it is anything worse than what I listed, then I say tell the NCAA to go to hell and appeal...

I agree. One anonymous source regarding extra benefits? Please.

After what PSU got away with and got reduced, I'd be livid if we had any vacated wins or post season ban.

Dude, I can't see a 2 year postseason ban. Can't see it.

I agree have resigned myself to be prepared for a 1 year postseason ban if comes to it.

I agree. One anonymous source regarding extra benefits? Please.

After what PSU got away with and got reduced, I'd be livid if we had any vacated wins or post season ban.

PSU getting off with what they did is more reason to worry about what might happen to us, NCAA probably wasn't expecting the backlash they got, now they want to make a statement. Timing here isn't great.

The extra benefits thing could also not have anything to do with the BB team...the FB team is also apparently involved.

I love JB but if the program is guilty of anything that is worthy of a two-year ban that is an unbelievable black mark on his legacy. I can't believe we will get even a 1 year ban unless we are guilty of something that hasn't leaked yet. If you have any experience in criminal law you know how offers to settle work. You take some meat off the bone so each side can save face. If the NCAA wanted a punishment they would likely settle the case if Syracuse/NCAA could each accept the end result. I can't see Syracuse settling for any postseason ban unless it was for 2015.

PSU getting off with what they did is more reason to worry about what might happen to us, NCAA probably wasn't expecting the backlash they got, now they want to make a statement. Timing here isn't great.
Penn State got off because the NCAA didn't give them due process before doling out the penalties it did. Penn State alumni sued the NCAA in PA and were threatening to file FOIA/Audit requests with the NCAA which is a non-profit and it would have killed them. The NCAA acted on Penn State right after the crap came out and didn't waste time. It helped them in the court of public opinion but PSU was able to fight the lack of due process and the NCAA caved.

Syracuse is getting their due process but we didn't commit the heinous garbage PSU did. Syracuse needs to find out what the NCAA truly wants in a back channel off the record way and try to settle this case without a postseason ban.

like your thinking.jpg

With all the talk about vacating wins, can they vacate losses too? Like the suplex takedown against Butler? The botched over-and-back against Marquette?

Penn St got probation lifted just as Power 5 got approval for their own rules. I don't believe anything is going to come out of this, the NCAA really doesn't have any power over the Power 5 conferences any more. The ACC isn't going to lose post season money which Syracuse can Qualify for, because of some minor stuff, when the Big 10, and other conferences don't.

I don't think this has been mentioned, but another penalty possibility is an NCAA imposed suspension of JB. That is supposed to be a major component of the newly adopted (Aug. '13) Infractions and Sanctions Structure. Suspensions of from 10% up to a full season are on the table in appropriate circumstances.

That said, everyone is behaving like a bunch of Chicken Littles. Without knowing exactly what SU is accused of it is hard to know what its level of culpability is and how that might translate to penalties.

The ESPN article is bullspit. It really says nothing other than the infractions that the committee will be reviewing come from a 10 year period. It could mean one infraction in 2003 and a wholly different one in 2013, it don't think it necessarily means a continued pattern of infractions over a 10 year period. If ESPN knew that to be the case they would most certainly emphasize that fact in their article. Further while they say that allegations of receiving improper benefits are among the allegations, but that may be one minor not particularly supportable allegation among others that are more clearly the focus of the upcoming hearing.

I want to emphasize that none of what we have seen reports any specifics. In the absence of specifics it is really hard to draw conclusions about what type of penalty SU should receive, much less whether it should even be subject to penalties.

There may be a couple of posters here that have more information than what it is being reported in the media, but I haven't seen anyone say that their comments are based on independent knowledge and given the stakes I suspect there isn't a lot of information freely floating around.

I don't think this has been mentioned, but another penalty possibility is an NCAA imposed suspension of JB. That is supposed to be a major component of the newly adopted (Aug. '13) Infractions and Sanctions Structure. Suspensions of from 10% up to a full season are on the table in appropriate circumstances.

I would actually welcome that. A 10 game suspension to see what Hop can do as the head man would be great.

I don't really see the chicken littles. Very few people panicking (at least later in the thread). Mostly resignation that we probably did something wrong and might get punished for it. Hopefully it will be a slap on the wrist and I wont be shocked at anything less than a two year postseason ban.

Two things. Ten years is too close to 2003 if you ask me. I think JB was trying to make a point in talking about Melo's earned grades in his book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom