For those who are burying Cooney thinking | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

For those who are burying Cooney thinking

I define "bust" as the manner in which one said Trevor Cooney played in the 2012-2013 season. Cooney is a 2 guard. His primary contribution on the team is to shoot the ball. And for that role, he failed miserably. I could care less if he grabbed a rebound, made a successful pass or stole the ball. We didn't recruit him to be a defender or a rebounder.

Labeling someone after their first season of playing d1 ball is smart.

so far, Silent G's European experience is disheartening. Maybe he can turn it around. Maybe BJ will be able to pick up the slack. If not, shooting guard might be our weakness.
And don't forget about the darkhorse Buss. He could have a shot. He gives off a Paul Harris vibe. And he may be the best attacking the rim sg out of the bunch. Freakish wing span.

No time in our system though so he starts down the depth chart a bit.

You're more confident in Cooney than Ennis? What stellar Big East game did Cooney ever have?

Ron Patterson. 6'3", Syracuse. Birthday: 1/24/94;
Michael Gbinije. G-F; 6' 7", 205 lbs. Birth Date June 5, 1992;
Trevor Cooney. 6'4", Syracuse. Birthday: 8/1/92;

I think we all agree Ennis is going to play the G spot no matter what. So he's not really part of the conversation for SG. Of the three, I like Ron Patterson the best. He seems to have the most swagger and the best catch-and-shoot highlights. And RP has a lot of jump shot highlights off the dribble while being harassed.

I define "bust" as the manner in which one said Trevor Cooney played in the 2012-2013 season. Cooney is a 2 guard. His primary contribution on the team is to shoot the ball. And for that role, he failed miserably. I could care less if he grabbed a rebound, made a successful pass or stole the ball. We didn't recruit him to be a defender or a rebounder.

That's a pretty narrow interpretation, and overlooks quite a bit of how the game of basketball is played.

So you'll forgive me for not agreeing. Per your above note, I'm not interested in vilifying your opinion, but I stand by my earlier statement: it is absurd to write this kid off after one year, given everything else he demonstrated.

See: moqui's post above.

Georgetown, first half the Big East tournament

That's a pretty narrow interpretation, and overlooks quite a bit of how the game of basketball is played.

So you'll forgive me for not agreeing. Per your above note, I'm not interested in vilifying your opinion, but I stand by my earlier statement: it is absurd to write this kid off after one year, given everything else he demonstrated.

See: moqui's post above.

I understand you see the glass half full. I see it half empty. I respect our difference in viewpoints.

You may not think it's important for him to be a good defender, but he would not have seen the floor if JB didn't like his defensive ability. Offensively, he will improve. Defensively, he is well on his way to being a solid contributor to the zone.

Ron Patterson. 6'3", Syracuse. Birthday: 1/24/94;
wow . . . he'll be 20 before the conference season is 1/3 complete . . . this has nothing to do with anything else in this thread, but I just have to comment: JB definitely loves 20 year old freshmen.

Some of you guys might want to reconsider Mike G.
http://guyrancourt.com/

Go to recaps and enjoy!
Aside from this, please read the article mentioning Gbinije's success this game.
This is no knock on Cooney. Looks like he felt comfortable with a little more run. ;)
Mike Gbinije – 14pts, 10reb, 4ast, 5 stl
I think some people also forget that maybe his struggles the other day could have come from the fact that he was playing in his 1st competitive game over a year from sitting out and in a different country no less. Imagine if he would have dropped 25pts in his debut? Then expectations would start to get really ridiculous. Mike G will be a solid player for us and hopefully we'll see some improvement from Cooney. That's all I care about.

You may not think it's important for him to be a good defender, but he would not have seen the floor if JB didn't like his defensive ability. Offensively, he will improve. Defensively, he is well on his way to being a solid contributor to the zone.
Who else was going to play guard?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

MGB is going to be a really good player for us this season. JAB knows what he is doing and careful consideration goes into allowing a player to transfer into the program. Look at the positive impact that Wesley Johnson had on the program. The silent G will join a list of many players who transferred to Syracuse and had productive careers. Among them the likes of Ryan Blackwell, Leo Rautins, LeRon Ellis, Jason Cipolla, Kris Onganaet.

He comes in physically more developed than most players who are playing for their 1st season in Orange and he will also benefit from having been exposed to the coaching of Coach K at Duke and a season of sitting out at Syracuse while being the beneficiary of the Syracuse coaching staff. Being a bit older also adds to the level of maturity when he takes to the floor. I'd be surprised if he did not exceed most peoples expectations.

As for Trevor, I think he will exhibit the results of having one year of experience with albeit limited playing time last year and will be more composed and confident which will yield positive results on the floor. Trevor also possesses considerable leadership abilities which will likely pay dividends down the road. Trevor has only used up one year of his eligibility and 4 year "program" type players should be given time to blossom into the type of players they were envisioned to become by the coaching staff. There have been some recent posts which have compared Trevor's performance last year statistically to some former players and anyone looking at that would quickly see that he was likely right where he was supposed to be last season. The kid is a tenacious competitor and his shooting percentage will improve and help the team moving forward. The kid is a winner and he will prove that he belongs on this team at this level.

There are just so many things to be excited about with this team and this program as we enter into our first season in the ACC. It's going to be a fantastic season and it's never been better for supporters of Syracuse Basketball.

Mike is playing SF over there not SG right now. Interesting 0 foul shots in 8 attempts inside the arc especially going up against someone who is 6'7. Once you move his 6'7 to SG instead of SF that is going to change, as will his 3 point looks. The guy is lighting quick. Granted he probably had a nice mismatch as well. Hes just getting cofortable give him time.

I still expect Gbinije to step up and be a solid second scoring option for us and if not that at least a 3rd scoring option knocking on second every game. Want to see him and Dajuan combine for 25 ppg minimum, period.

Cooney doesn't have to be a SG. He can make a fine backup point guard for us that relies on entry passing more then driving. Especially if we have the dribble penetration of CJ, Ron, BJ, Mccullough, Roberson in the future. And we are adding another slashign guard most likely. Depends on how well he shoots. For the record, imo he has a higher ceiling right now then Brandon Triche did by the end of his jr year.

What stellar Big East game did Cooney ever have?[/quote]
GTown BET

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Some of you guys might want to reconsider Mike G.
Mike Gbinije – 14pts, 10reb, 4ast, 5 stl

Ben-a-j's game is a lot about driving to the basket. I think what the Orange need is a consistent outside threat. Hopefully this year they will have it!

wow . . . he'll be 20 before the conference season is 1/3 complete . . . this has nothing to do with anything else in this thread, but I just have to comment: JB definitely loves 20 year old freshmen.

That's why I posted it. These guys are old men!

I'd be surprised if he did not exceed most peoples expectations.
judging by the comments on this forum, the majority expecting him to be an instant impact starter at least and likely a star, so it's going to be awfully hard for him to exceed expectations

judging by the comments on this forum, the majority expecting him to be an instant impact starter at least and likely a star, so it's going to be awfully hard for him to exceed expectations
Hmmm. Sounds like what was expected from TC. :rolleyes:

Ben-a-j's game is a lot about driving to the basket. I think what the Orange need is a consistent outside threat. Hopefully this year they will have it!
Against the Astonia boys U 18 rec league. ;) If memory serves, Josh Wright lit up King of Kings one year.

Against the Astonia boys U 18 rec league. ;) If memory serves, Josh Wright lit up King of Kings one year.

Did Cooney get beat out for the Estonia team by the Lycoming boys or did he make a concious decision to disregard Mike Waters advice and not play in the K of K and this Estonia events this year?

My belief is that now that TC will be in a leadership position in the back court, he will do exactly that. I don't think this is a matter of talent at all. By all reports, he shot very well in practice, against high level players. It was a mental thing, IMO, and once he got off to the bad start, it was a bitch getting on track. It happens to almost every player at every level at some point. They have a bad season. It happens, for whatever reason. He'll be fine.