FSU vs The ACC | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

At the end of the day SU will have a seat at the table. JW made the right hires for our key sports. Lacrosse is going to be strong, Womens BBall is crushing it. We recently won the National Championship in Soccer Fran is going to get SU into the top half if not better in the ACC, Red has already made a huge difference as this year's team and roster is on the rise. New facilities, SMU Cal Stanford to the ACC. We are going to be fine.
I think that’s a lot of wishful thinking. Our upgraded facilities are only playing catch up. Most likely landing place would be B12 or whatever it will be called. I don’t think even a quarter of those programs play lax so it’s basically irrelevant. It will come down to football and if you are a blue blood hoops brand like Kansas, Duke, UNC. That could have saved us at one point but not at current state. Adding SMU, Cal, Stanford only pjsssssed off the “Shot callers” in the conference. Right now i think our best hope is to get a lifeline to the new B12 or if the SEC/B10 combine with their big brands and drop the Vandy, Northwestern, Rutgers of the league and break away from the NCAA and form a paid to play league. Even then will Syracuse be willing to pay their football athletes with someone like Syverud as Chancellor? Doesn’t seem like something he would support. We’re in a tougher spot than most think.

Some fans have lost the plot as well. There’s a huge market of college fans that don’t want any part of super leagues and semi pro college football funded by private equity. It’s gross. So many predictions about what will happen and money dominating may fall apart if the streaming dollars dry up.

I also hope a lot of these universities lose their not for profit status. They deserve to. They’ve become corrupt and corporate and completely lost sight of their educational missions. Look, I get that that horse left the barn awhile ago, but it’s time to reign in some of the ridiculous excesses. College sports are great but they aren’t the same as they once were, especially with the direction this is heading in.
That all sounds good and i would like to believe it but $ talks. B10/SEC will be making $100m/program in coming years. What’s to say they combine, break away, and double that amount? There’s no more Georgia vs Mercer, but super power vs super power, almost every game, of every week. The ones that get left out may not like it but what can we do to stop it?

I think that’s a lot of wishful thinking. Our upgraded facilities are only playing catch up.

We've been hearing this forever. We just beat out Penn State, Alabama and Georgia for 11 recruits. We just got Ohio State's starting QB. Our facilities can't still be THAT bad.

Most likely landing place would be B12 or whatever it will be called. I don’t think even a quarter of those programs play lax so it’s basically irrelevant. It will come down to football and if you are a blue blood hoops brand like Kansas, Duke, UNC. That could have saved us at one point but not at current state.

Even if Fla. State leaves, and even if Clemson leaves, there are still a dozen teams left in the ACC. Why does the ACC have to completely go out of business? ESPN has a contract with the league for another 30 years, seemingly. The ACC has a network. The remaining teams might not be in the championship discussion for football, but were the teams of the Pac-12 or the Big 12, for the most part? No, they weren't. Those schools still have programs.

Eventually, cable is going to die, and streaming will take over. It won't be 10 years, if that. Then, how much will these teams make? You can't charge people separately for every single thing that they used to get in a bundle. Hard core fans will select certain packages in their core sports, but there will be many more losers than winners - just like for these 1,000 kids who entered the transfer portal. Not all of them are getting a lush NIL package.
Adding SMU, Cal, Stanford only pjsssssed off the “Shot callers” in the conference. Right now i think our best hope is to get a lifeline to the new B12 or if the SEC/B10 combine with their big brands and drop the Vandy, Northwestern, Rutgers of the league and break away from the NCAA and form a paid to play league.

The football teams have wanted disproportionate revenue sharing, which we know has killed conferences in the past. Uneven membership can't survive, because there is no power balance.

If a new ACC remained a "thing", which unlike the Pac 10, I think it will, because there aren't nearly enough landing spots for these teams, and we are still in the East Coast time zone, when programming is needed.

Is ESPN just going to give up on Saturday and Sunday college programming in the Noon EDT time slot, and let NBC and soccer control the airwaves until 2 PM or so, when the Big 10 and SEC games are shown?

Even then will Syracuse be willing to pay their football athletes with someone like Syverud as Chancellor? Doesn’t seem like something he would support. We’re in a tougher spot than most think.

We seem to have found money under the couch, for how we have been operating for the last 30 days or so. They just made a big bet; I don't see them folding so easily.

Who else is honestly going to get invited out of the ACC? 4 teams, tops - Clemson and maybe Florida State to the SEC, and maybe UNC and UVA to the Big 10. I just don't see anything more than that.

Notre Dame probably goes back to the Big 10. Will the SEC or Big 10 have to kick out schools to make television contracts work? Or will they become loose federations of 20+ teams? I think that will lose rivalries, which, as we have seen, erodes interest in the product.

An ACC could still have Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Louisville, Va. Tech, NC State, Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, and maybe someone like Rutgers gets the boot from the Big 10. I wonder if Maryland might be in play, but probably not if the Big 10 went after UVA and UNC. That would kind of complete the checkerboard for them on the East Coast.

That all sounds good and i would like to believe it but $ talks. B10/SEC will be making $100m/program in coming years. What’s to say they combine, break away, and double that amount? There’s no more Georgia vs Mercer, but super power vs super power, almost every game, of every week. The ones that get left out may not like it but what can we do to stop it?
If a super league happens and more and more schools are forced to close up shop with respect to big time football, that will eventually kill the NFL. The NFL benefits greatly from having over 100 schools investing in facilities and coaching and training young athletes and the NFL doesn't have to spend a dime.

This never ending chase for more money is going to kill football. High school and youth participation is already dropping. When everyone starts waking up to the fact that their team and state have been boxed out they'll stop watching.

If I'm Cuse I'm positioning myself right now as a tie break vote for the ACC schools that want to break the GOR. We need assurances that we're in either SEC or Big Ten, even if we don't get a full revenue share. If we get those assurances we vote to dissolve.

I just don’t see enough additional money to go around to make it lucrative to create super conferences. You dilute it too much with 20+ teams. The networks are cutting back all the time to save pennies so unless they can find the money, adding teams only waters the school’s distributions down.

If a super league happens and more and more schools are forced to close up shop with respect to big time football, that will eventually kill the NFL. The NFL benefits greatly from having over 100 schools investing in facilities and coaching and training young athletes and the NFL doesn't have to spend a dime.

This never ending chase for more money is going to kill football. High school and youth participation is already dropping. When everyone starts waking up to the fact that their team and state have been boxed out they'll stop watching.
The NFL will absolutely refrain from trying to destroy their feeder league with their own like the NBA has the entire first round next year on mocks are either foreigners or kids playing for G league ignite who I believe are winless on the season.

I think everyone will want 4 power conferences. The Big 12 isn’t that good and has no big name FB programs it won’t be hard for the ACC to keep pace even if a couple teams leave.

I think that’s a lot of wishful thinking. Our upgraded facilities are only playing catch up. Most likely landing place would be B12 or whatever it will be called. I don’t think even a quarter of those programs play lax so it’s basically irrelevant. It will come down to football and if you are a blue blood hoops brand like Kansas, Duke, UNC. That could have saved us at one point but not at current state. Adding SMU, Cal, Stanford only pjsssssed off the “Shot callers” in the conference. Right now i think our best hope is to get a lifeline to the new B12 or if the SEC/B10 combine with their big brands and drop the Vandy, Northwestern, Rutgers of the league and break away from the NCAA and form a paid to play league. Even then will Syracuse be willing to pay their football athletes with someone like Syverud as Chancellor? Doesn’t seem like something he would support. We’re in a tougher spot than most think.
Obviously i dont agree. Hopefully the brand and NYS count

I just read that about half a dozen ACC schools joined Florida State in the lawsuit. This is going to break up if half the teams want out, and the big one (ND) was never really "in".
It's bull-oney from Greg Swaim, aka "The Dude from WV" a known shill for the Big XII. A Tweet in another thread(?) here said that his statements during conference realignment were proven wrong 95% of the time.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but not all of these "super elite" teams can all win 10 games and make the playoffs every year without the other teams to beat up on. Perfectly good programs are going to turn into perpetual losers in their new leagues. Just look at Nebraska, for instance.
Yeah, and ...

"We won't lose someone else will."

You're talking to someone who believes the NCAA should have had the foresight to limit the championship game rule to FCS, D-2, and D-3 and then none of conference realignment would have happened.

Last edited:
Yeah, and ...

You're talking to someone who believes the NCAA should have had the foresight to limit the championship game rule to FCS, D-2, and D-3 and then none of conference realignment would have happened.
The playoffs should be 8 games 12 is way too much football.

The powers at be created it for there to be plenty of room for everyone to be happy and no auto PAC 12 bid is one more Big 12/ACC non winners can get.

ACC should counter sue FSU and withhold all their TV money for this.

The playoffs should be 8 games 12 is way too much football.

The powers at be created it for there to be plenty of room for everyone to be happy and no auto PAC 12 bid is one more Big 12/ACC non winners can get.

ACC should counter sue FSU and withhold all their TV money for this.
The ACC filed an action against FSU in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte), NC, before FSU filed in Florida, so no home field advantage for FSU. The ACC has absolutely no reason to cut FSU any slack whatsoever and should hold out for every dime that is due them under the GoR.

Last edited:
If a new ACC remained a "thing", which unlike the Pac 10, I think it will, because there aren't nearly enough landing spots for these teams, and we are still in the East Coast time zone, when programming is needed.

Is ESPN just going to give up on Saturday and Sunday college programming in the Noon EDT time slot, and let NBC and soccer control the airwaves until 2 PM or so, when the Big 10 and SEC games are shown?
There will be plenty of Eastern time zone programming. First, the Big 10 has Rutgers/Maryland/Penn St./Ohio St./Michigan/Michigan St./Indiana in the time zone, the SEC has Georgia/Florida/South Carolina/Kentucky and the Big 12 has West Virginia/UCF/Cincinnati and they currently play games starting at 11 AM. Even the Texas/Oklahoma game started at 11 AM local time. If the ACC breaks up and schools go to the P2/P3, there will be another 2 to 6 schools in the time zone as well. Plus, the ACC schools that don't get into a P2 or P3 will still be playing football to fill noon time slots and there are other schools that fill the noon slots like Army/Navy/UConn/USF/ECU/Temple/James Madison...

I think if Syracuse gets left out of the P2/P3 or the ACC ends up with a small number of schools, I envision a football only conference of the best of the rest if the schools are too geographically dispersed with the other sports moving to more regional conferences.

I totally agree.

There will be plenty of Eastern time zone programming. First, the Big 10 has Rutgers/Maryland/Penn St./Ohio St./Michigan/Michigan St./Indiana in the time zone, the SEC has Georgia/Florida/South Carolina/Kentucky and the Big 12 has West Virginia/UCF/Cincinnati and they currently play games starting at 11 AM. Even the Texas/Oklahoma game started at 11 AM local time. If the ACC breaks up and schools go to the P2/P3, there will be another 2 to 6 schools in the time zone as well. Plus, the ACC schools that don't get into a P2 or P3 will still be playing football to fill noon time slots and there are other schools that fill the noon slots like Army/Navy/UConn/USF/ECU/Temple/James Madison...

I think if Syracuse gets left out of the P2/P3 or the ACC ends up with a small number of schools, I envision a football only conference of the best of the rest if the schools are too geographically dispersed with the other sports moving to more regional conferences.
Within the next 5 years Congress will get involved and the TV executives, along with College Presidents, and AD' s will be called. The days of getting big money and being tax exempt as an educational institution will come to an end.
You get too many people angry and that is where it will end up.

We've been hearing this forever. We just beat out Penn State, Alabama and Georgia for 11 recruits. We just got Ohio State's starting QB. Our facilities can't still be THAT bad.

Even if Fla. State leaves, and even if Clemson leaves, there are still a dozen teams left in the ACC. Why does the ACC have to completely go out of business? ESPN has a contract with the league for another 30 years, seemingly. The ACC has a network. The remaining teams might not be in the championship discussion for football, but were the teams of the Pac-12 or the Big 12, for the most part? No, they weren't. Those schools still have programs.

Eventually, cable is going to die, and streaming will take over. It won't be 10 years, if that. Then, how much will these teams make? You can't charge people separately for every single thing that they used to get in a bundle. Hard core fans will select certain packages in their core sports, but there will be many more losers than winners - just like for these 1,000 kids who entered the transfer portal. Not all of them are getting a lush NIL package.

The football teams have wanted disproportionate revenue sharing, which we know has killed conferences in the past. Uneven membership can't survive, because there is no power balance.

We seem to have found money under the couch, for how we have been operating for the last 30 days or so. They just made a big bet; I don't see them folding so easily.

Who else is honestly going to get invited out of the ACC? 4 teams, tops - Clemson and maybe Florida State to the SEC, and maybe UNC and UVA to the Big 10. I just don't see anything more than that.

Notre Dame probably goes back to the Big 10. Will the SEC or Big 10 have to kick out schools to make television contracts work? Or will they become loose federations of 20+ teams? I think that will lose rivalries, which, as we have seen, erodes interest in the product.

An ACC could still have Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Louisville, Va. Tech, NC State, Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, and maybe someone like Rutgers gets the boot from the Big 10. I wonder if Maryland might be in play, but probably not if the Big 10 went after UVA and UNC. That would kind of complete the checkerboard for them on the East Coast.
The ACC does not have to go out of business, even if it ends up being a worst case scenario for the league and 7 or 8 leave. The remainder would still be in position too be the best all around league west of there Mississippi the is not Major (which would be BT and SEC only).

Or will they become loose federations of 20+ teams?
They'll become loose federations of, I'm guessing, 24 teams. Then each one will split into three or four divisions based on regions and traditional rivalries and voila, you've got a P2 with 6 to 8 divisions, looking an awful lot like 20 years ago but with less dead weight.

They'll become loose federations of, I'm guessing, 24 teams. Then each one will split into three or four divisions based on regions and traditional rivalries and voila, you've got a P2 with 6 to 8 divisions, looking an awful lot like 20 years ago but with less dead weight.
The NWO jumped the shark when it broke up into different divisions

Football only Mountain West/PAC 12 and Big East hoops would be awesome. If we bring the right ACC team and get Oregon St and Wazzou w Cal SMU that league probably gets an auto bid to the field of 12.

Reddit, twitter, any other social media, message boards. I'm sure most of the people don't have true sources, but i'm sure some do. The information isn't coming out of thin air. You know what they say usually when there is smoke there is fire. Our best hope would be for FSU to get shut down by the ACC and we drastically improve our brand over the next 5 years. Also, I don't think many programs in the B12 play lacrosse so that would hurt in other ways.

We could also have very well been in the B10 for a decade now. What i've heard is we were invited to the B10 when we still had our AAU accreditation, however after consulting Boeheim, he preferred the ACC. The next year Rutgers gets the B10 invite. Just think about it. At the time they wanted NY viewers. No way in hell Rutgers gets invited over us. That could possibly forever haunt us.
Ugh this makes me ill just thinking about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom