Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
chris carlson ‏@ccarlsononSU 59m59 minutes ago
A few minutes away from the start of a presentation on Syracuse's Campus Framework, which is setting the course for the future of the school

Speakers are Michael Speaks (Dean of Architecture) and Dennis Pieprz of Sasaki Associates (hired to help)

Current discussion is why campus framework is better term than master plan to describe what SU is doing.

Campus framework timeframe is about 20 years, according to Speaks.

Purpose of campus framework is to create best place to create successful academic strategic plan... #BuzzwordCity

Speaks mentions three goals of #Syracuse in academic plan: Support academic excellence, enrich student life, create vibrant campus.

Timeline being shown mentioning process began on my birthday in 2014 (Sept. 22). Also includes the May Carrier Dome survey.

Keys to the campus framework are sustainability (energy and land), mobility (allow for options) and campus arrival (distinguishing campus)

Pieprz done with that section. Speaks now talking about the history of campus.

Did not know this but makes sense: When Syracuse was built it was determined no single style of building would dominate campus.

Speaks: When #Syracuse was built it was intended for the school to have a close relationship with the community (town and gown).

More fun facts: First four buildings on campus were Hall of Languages, Holden Observatory, Crouse College and Tolley building.

Speaks: There are no proposed buildings in the ideas we're being shown today. Everything is conceptual.

Speaks: Mentions intention to renovate Archbold gymnasium, also get rid of cars and buses in front of Schine. Make it pedestrian only.

Three finalists picked for National Veterans Resource Complex: Adjaye Associates, Shop, Snohetta Design... Also finalists for Obama library

There will be public lectures with Q&As with each of the three finalists with first one in late March.

March 22, March 31 and April 7 are the lecture dates at Slocumb Hall. ...They will not discuss proposals but previous work.

They'll make presentations at the end of April and project will move forward with Board of Trustees.

Speaks says the Dome is still under study will be at the center of an "academic promenade," will fit in with ACC level facilities.

So the Carrier Dome wait continues. ... although it certainly sounds like university is intent on keeping it there (as we all expected)

chris carlson ‏@ccarlsononSU 12m12 minutes ago
Speaks says framework will be made public in May after the Board of Trustees gives approval..

Sounds like Board of Trustees has seen far more than is being shown here today.

If they build student housing on the north side of Waverly as discussed does that give them the ability to tear down the student housing across from Manley Field House. Could that land be used for parking for a football stadium located at Sky Top?

Tonight in DC, I listen to a presentation on the evolution of the campus, including dome renovations over the next 25 years. Very interesting to see a visual representation of the renovations and look at the future. Should you be ticked off about lack of parking now, steer clear of this presentation. What's left is going bye bye. However, south campus may become that huge lot we all have been waiting for. Take a look at it if you can, I think our beloved campus is in for some big time changes.

Also for those who loved lectures in Grant Auditorium, say your goodbyes soon!

They ought to talk with the City about widening Comstock, then.

The priority of the University is not the parking convenience of sports fans.

Then they better do a much better job of getting the students to buy tickets.

Any mass transit for game days?

We supposedly have it now. Just not enough space for drop offs, and not enough awareness of when/where buses leave from (that is, area malls, etc.).

from a pure business sense why pay to have parking for events that happen a few times a year. many campuses have no parking, the cornell master plan even removes all the roads if it ever gets done. is it that big a deal to have people walk 10 min to get to a game if thats what it comes down to? fball is 5-7 times a year, bball is a bigger deal with snow issues and cold weather, even so the bus thing would probably be even easier of there was less traffic to deal with down around the dome, they could take you right to the dome and skip the walk completely. build 2 more lots at sky top and bus everyone in.

If you are busing 30-45,000 people down Comstock Avenue (1 lane in each direction) for about 1.5 miles, how long is that going to take to get dropped off, get through the turnstiles and get to your seat, an hour?

i totally agree. most of the businesses on m street are totally worthless.

some other thread, someone mentioned developing the area between the dome and marshall street. that would be great. i keep mentioning http://www.collegetownrochester.com/ because i live a mile awya, they did a nice job there. it's a little cookie cutter, maybe SU can give it a little more variety but this would be great. a decent market is a no brainer like the constantinos by UR

I think you forget that a lot of students lunch there.

City Planning board, Building Department, Zoning etc. They can pass ordinances to force things like brick facades and better signage. that's all they need to do. can still have cheap eats and non- chains but you turn it into 13th Street in Boulder or the main drag in Ann Arbor - East Liberty Street?

i'd go two story buildings with eats and shopping underneath. apartments on top. - or some rooftop bars, that'd be cool.

If you make a guy who owns a sub shop or a pizza shop drop $250,000 in upgrades, don't expect food to stay cheap.

The problem with closing off that street is that there is that big parking garage there that empties right onto that street. Plus the planned new building going up in the place of Varsity, Dunkin Donuts, Faegan's etc. is pretty dependent on having that street there, I'm sure.

Plus there are a couple hospitals, doctors offices, etc., that require streets there.

Dinosaur would do very well - except that they rely on alcohol sales for a lot of their revenue (like many restaurants).

Restaurants aren't allowed as-of-right on Marshall Street - each needs to apply for a special permit and get Planning Commission and Common Council approval. This shouldn't totally be a deal-breaker...

Except that SU has long had a practice of opposing every special permit request involving alcohol sales on Marshall and South Crouse. Every time a bar owner goes before the Common Council, SU's got someone there from Community & Government Relations with a letter of opposition. And the city has a funny way of caving to SU on these matters most of the time.

This has a chilling effect on the quality and diversity of new restaurants up there. Like Chipotle (though I'm not sure if that location sells beer?), Dino's in a better position to fight this than the mom-and-pops, but perhaps they don't think it's worth the effort.

The landlords are a major problem, too. One of them - who is a board favorite - is not just a crook at retail, but he is a POS as a landlord, doesn't fix problems with zoning, interferes with his tenants' business operations, and has a lawyer who substituted a whole different lease for the one a guy I know thought he was signing when he became a tenant. Oh, and the landlord has petitioned the city several times to shut down the guy's sidewalk cafe permit - which the landlord had to sign off on in the first place.

I know another landlord on M Street who breaches leases with regularity, forces out tenants, but tells them they can sell their lease rights (for $50-100K) to new tenants and he will look the other way, only to prevent that new tenant from building, comment on and change the tenant's menu because of undisclosed exclusive uses he gives to other tenants on the block. It's madness up there. A bunch of petty people who all think that because Bob Congel has made a career out of being a bully and a dishonest landlord that they can, too.

Maybe I'm more of a Marriott guy, but as a NJ alum ('97), neither me nor my family have ever stayed at the Sheraton. As long as the rooms lost are accommodated via the Hotel Syracuse Marriott or the new Dome hotel, getting rid of the Sheraton isn't a bid deal IMHO.

You maybe don't realize how many people visit the university on business.

I'd be curious to know how many parking spots there actually are near the Dome. Not parking garage spaces, but just surface lot parking spaces. And only lots owned by SU. I'd bet at this point that the number is surprisingly low.

The hospital parking garages will still be there.

They don't. The shuttles from Manely would be a 1/4th of the scale of what there talking about in this project ( one that I doubt actually ever comes to full fruition by the way) if they got rid of all the nearby parking spaces. Parking at Manley is a nightmare I did it once for bball never again.

Part of the problem is because you're not actually parking "at Manley" - the South Campus lot is another 1/2 mile to mile down that road on South Campus.

If you make a guy who owns a sub shop or a pizza shop drop $250,000 in upgrades, don't expect food to stay cheap.

$250K for 300sq (15x20) of brick facade and a new sign? stop it.

The sub shop guy probably rents the space anyways so the landlord can go buy a few pallets of bricks and a new sign. I wouldn't be worried about either of them.

BVille44 said:
If they build student housing on the north side of Waverly as discussed does that give them the ability to tear down the student housing across from Manley Field House. Could that land be used for parking for a football stadium located at Sky Top?

I believe the plan is to eventually have all students on north campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom