Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And SU South Campus to SU North Campus in gondolas too. Ive been pushing this Arial gondola transit idea with friends for years mostly from north campus to south campus. Short but effective distance to keep cost low. But if we could get downtown too, great. My thought for downtown was a dual corridor bus lane on the train track line. I'd drawn all this a while ago when it wasn't even fathomable take a look.

I think you could do a double stacked line down comstock from north campus/College place and then have it Y from Manley towards sky-top and the other towards drumlins (parking/Events/Grocery store) with stops on south campus. Down comstock it would be the same number of poles for double the service capacity saving money. This system could be in place as an all weather student transit system from south also eliminating/reducing the need for south campus bus service. I would recommend a detachable 3S system, which has two guide cables and a pull cable and slows down or could stop completely at stations. Capacity per dollar on 3S is much better since it is a very high speed and high capacity option and would be more able to handle events and the daily ebb and flow of student class schedule rush. 3S is also a much smoother ride which makes it much more ADA/older population friendly.

I would also advocate to make the current train track line a dual corridor (ie the whole length is like train tracks look at road crossings) so that it could be used for traffic-less event only or permanent bus service lane from RTC to Destiny to Tip Hill to Downtown to Oncenter parking to Campus to South Campus without losing train functionality for business. This corridor is part of the inland port proposal and serves the area of I-81 they are going to work on so that could help with funding here. Possible additional weekend/evening event parking as well as 481 on and off ramps at the quarry proposed to be the inland port depot could be an option as there would likely be an employee parking lot and direct connection to the train line.

PRT like WVU has on campus is an option along a dual train corridor also. I'd love this but it might be cost prohibitive depending on funding.

On game days add the current event bus system to this too, (with some traffic pattern updates) in total it solves the parking issue completely.

View attachment 53683
The PRT at WVU is terrible. Take it from someone who has to use it on a daily basis. It breaks down frequently, especially when there is snow. I can only imagine how awful a similar system would be up in CNY. Last week, I was on it at night after a long day of lab work and a huge electrical discharge incapacitated the car I was on. It looked/felt like we were hit by a lightning bolt. Once the screaming and panic of the passengers subsided (we'd all seen it before) it took 45 minutes to get the damn thing up and running again. The PRT is currently the bane of my existence. Please just... no.

I don't have any real connections, but I have heard this rumor multiple times going back to when SU joined the ACC.

I doubt it happens. Louisville (on campus) and Miami (off campus) sell alcohol at games. Pitt sells alcohol in the club and suite levels. And the ACC bylaws only prohibit alcohol sales at conference championship games.

If the university stops alcohol sales, I don't think it will be because the ACC mandates it.
I doubt it too. Schools are adding beer, not taking it away these days. Virginia Tech just started beer sales on a small scale as well...

Linkage

I kind of remember Swofford saying a year or two ago that the ACC wasn't going to take away our beer. Might have been in a Teel conversation.

thanks for the update everyone. I figured as much too, good to hear it from other folks.

The ACC has said that the choice to sell alcohol was the school's choice and the ACC would not interfere with that.

That was when we joined the ACC.

Even Wake Forest has a small drinking area inside the gates. You must consume the beverage there, but it would be easy to recharge your BAC at halftime. They also allow re-entry to the stadium, so you could walk across the street to the tailgate location to have a quick one there as well.

I am not joking. Judge me if you want, but drinking is a valuable part of the game day experience for me. If I can't enjoy a few beers during the game, I will just watch or listen at home.

I don't like NCAA tournament games for the same reason and I don't go to restaurants that don't have liquor licenses.

Especially with what we have had to deal with the last 15 years.

EnviroSciGuy said:
The PRT at WVU is terrible. Take it from someone who has to use it on a daily basis. It breaks down frequently, especially when there is snow. I can only imagine how awful a similar system would be up in CNY. Last week, I was on it at night after a long day of lab work and a huge electrical discharge incapacitated the car I was on. It looked/felt like we were hit by a lightning bolt. Once the screaming and panic of the passengers subsided (we'd all seen it before) it took 45 minutes to get the damn thing up and running again. The PRT is currently the bane of my existence. Please just... no.

Fair, but it is an old, first of its kind system at WVU. I'm a stronger advocate of the gondola approach from north campus to south to start. It is more all weather in our climate and accomidates constant flow of students and event attendees. I think two lines down comstock with a stop at manley is critical to viability and capacity, and that the split at south critical to high ridership. 3S important for highs speed capacity and stability.

I would think PRT that is 40 years newer might run better but your experience is a point well taken. Given our climate it should have an auto snow melt or removal system or be covered. Making it less likely to shut down.

Like I said I'd also be interested to see proposals on dual use dedicated event bus lanes in the train corridor, PRT, or an extended or sparate gondola system after the north to south campus one is built.

Last edited:
Bayside44 said:
The bars that were closed off in Greensboro were depressing (just like our game was that night)

You know better not to get me started with our move to the ACC.

You know better not to get me started with our move to the ACC.

Hey, we tailgated and had a suite the size of a football field to booze it up, wasn't terrible minus we couldn't shoot.

When it's in DC we can go to bars that shouldn't be on the wrong side of a wrecking ball, not so terrible.

The bars that were closed off in Greensboro were depressing (just like our game was that night)

Greensboro is depressing.

I spent about a month working at a client site there in my 20s. So boring.

Even the UNC and Duke fans are going to enjoy DC more. I know they did it once, but one of them (I think UNC?) lost the Noon game on Thursday as 1 or 2 seed.

Greensboro is depressing.

I spent about a month working at a client site there in my 20s. So boring.

Even the UNC and Duke fans are going to enjoy DC more. I know they did it once, but one of them (I think UNC?) lost the Noon game on Thursday as 1 or 2 seed.

By bars closed I meant inside the arena. The town itself is a tad thin.

DC is going to be a lot of fun.

Not sure. I know you're in AZ but there's a presentation in Baltimore tomorrow night! :)

I imagine it will be out soon. Super cool to look at. The university will look completely different if it all happens

How real is it? Urban Planners live to create slick drawings of what a place would look like if there were infinite funds, intractable impediments dissolved, and 100 things that are 100 to 1 prospects fall into place. We just did this where I work. Everyone knows that about 1% of it will ever occur.

Haha, I was told tonight that Kent said he's never had a worst first impression of a university than he had on Marshall street. I think change is coming there as well.

Well, that gives me some faith. It's god-awful.

I'm bumping this, because it seems that the university is getting the same presentation today, more or less, that a few of us saw in DC last Fall. Here are some of the pictures from today's presentation that illustrate the schools desire to remove cars from "on campus," streets and make it more pedestrian friendly.
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 4.50.24 PM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online