Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would look preposterous next to campus, where it would be at least twice as tall as the dome. They absolutely shouldn't let that be built.

But of course SU's in no position to let property owners enjoy their property. And the proposed building, which I agree is out of scale, would sit below the highest point of the Dome.

But SU's (predictable) concern is transparent to all. If only they were really this concerned about massing and aesthetics; then they wouldn't have thrown up Ernie Davis Hall and we wouldn't be hearing about plans to increase density on the Sheraton site.

But of course SU's in no position to let property owners enjoy their property. And the proposed building, which I agree is out of scale, would sit below the highest point of the Dome.

But SU's (predictable) concern is transparent to all. If only they were really this concerned about massing and aesthetics; then they wouldn't have thrown up Ernie Davis Hall and we wouldn't be hearing about plans to increase density on the Sheraton site.
Ouch!

Ouch!

I'm sympathetic to both sides on the tall building variance, but SU's hypocrisy bugs me (even more than it usually does). They're before the BZA or the planning commission 20 times a year for some exception or variance, the city usually gives them what they want, yet they're quick to oppose all sorts of commercial projects in nearby areas. They're really the textbook crappy neighbor.

I love this picture from that link...

national-veterans-resource-complex-syracuse-university-NVRC-shortlist-david-adjaye-SHoP-snohetta-designboom-03-818x305.jpg
This one too:

national-veterans-resource-complex-syracuse-university-NVRC-shortlist-david-adjaye-SHoP-snohetta-designboom-01-818x544.jpg

That would look preposterous next to campus, where it would be at least twice as tall as the dome. They absolutely shouldn't let that be built.

Man, some of you would lose your minds down here in Houston where there are no zoning laws. :D

Me either. I sat on the Architectural Review committee of an HOA for years. It is amazing what some builders try and get away with.
Absolutely. Zoning restrictions are there for a reason ... to protect other landowners and the community ... and they nearly always the make the property more valuable.

Absolutely. Zoning restrictions are there for a reason ... to protect other landowners and the community ... and they nearly always the make the property more valuable.

So, then, how does Houston do it, particularly as the fourth largest city (and growing) in the country? Property prices around here are not cheap.

So, then, how does Houston do it, particularly as the fourth largest city (and growing) in the country? Property prices around here are not cheap.

Not cheap in Houston? If I moved back there from DC I'd build a money bin.

Yah, no thank you (all due respect).

It's not that bad. People have freedom to use their land as the see fit. Works. Prices are not as affected as one might think.

North Florida was similar. You could see a run down mobile home on one lot and $3MM home on the next.

Generally, though, people will build similarly to what is around them given time. Or the rich landowners pay out the nose for the crappy property and develop it making more money. The seller gets more money than he would have had he not been close to the rich and moves to the burbs. The rich buyer either adds it to his property or develops it, either way, his enjoyment just went up. Win-Win. (Actually, win-win-win as the tax base goes up, too).

For those that traveled down here for the Texas Bowl, they should see what has happened/is happening around Minute Maid Park. Old junky neighborhood is being developed into a trendy hot spot to live.

It's not that bad. People have freedom to use their land as the see fit. Works. Prices are not as affected as one might think.

North Florida was similar. You could see a run down mobile home on one lot and $3MM home on the next.

Generally, though, people will build similarly to what is around them given time. Or the rich landowners pay out the nose for the crappy property and develop it making more money. The seller gets more money than he would have had he not been close to the rich and moves to the burbs. The rich buyer either adds it to his property or develops it, either way, his enjoyment just went up. Win-Win. (Actually, win-win-win as the tax base goes up, too).

For those that traveled down here for the Texas Bowl, they should see what has happened/is happening around Minute Maid Park. Old junky neighborhood is being developed into a trendy hot spot to live.
I don't want to get too far off-thread here. But I'm actually not saying that restrictions make property "expensive" or "exclusive", just that they tend to increase value (which is basic economics). As far as "doing what you want with your land", that's an artifact of a bygone era (feudalism). No one's "king" anymore. Property owners get a bundle of rights, and that bundle has -- for better or worse -- been steadily downsized to protect the rights of neighbors and other members of the community. This varies by state and by region (usually the wealthier the area the more restrictions). Almost universally, what owners do with their properties affects others, sometimes profoundly.

As just one example, I live in a suburban area. If someone tried to open up a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant next to me, or started raising hogs, I might not like that too much. I'd turn to the zoning laws .. which are enacted by officials in communities that desire property restrictions to protect certain uses. It's just a fact of life now. If you don't have any zoning laws in your community, let's hope your neighbors are responsible.

Last edited:
I don't want to get too far off-thread here. But I'm actually not saying that restrictions make property "expensive" or "exclusive", just that they tend to increase value (which is basic economics). As far as "doing what you want with your land", that's a fiction left over from a bygone era (feudalism). No one's "king" anymore. Property owners get a bundle of rights, and that bundle has -- for better or worse -- been steadily downsized to protect the rights of neighbors and other members of the community. This varies by state and by region (usually the wealthier the area the more restrictions). Almost universally, what owners do with their properties affects others, sometimes profoundly.

As just one example, I live in a suburban area. If someone tried to open up a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant next to me, or started raising hogs, I might not like that too much. I'd turn to the zoning laws .. which are enacted by officials in communities that desire property restrictions to protect certain uses. It's just a fact of life now. If you don't have any zoning laws in your community, let's hope your neighbors are responsible.

We wouldn't have been good neighbors then as I've raised two hogs in the last 3 years. My neighbor has miniature horses and donkeys. My other neighbor has horses and chickens. We live in a subdivision with an HOA. Our property values are skyrocketing and expected to be 7 digits in a few years.

We wouldn't have been good neighbors then as I've raised two hogs in the last 3 years. My neighbor has miniature horses and donkeys. My other neighbor has horses and chickens. We live in a subdivision with an HOA. Our property values are skyrocketing and expected to be 7 digits in a few years.
Must be an interesting HOA with mixed residential/agricultural/commercial uses. But yes, you're right, folks around here (in the 'burbs) like to leave hog-raising to the farmers.

At my previous house (west of Ft. Worth) the HOA regulations allowed for 1 bovine per acre.

Must be an interesting HOA with mixed residential/agricultural/commercial uses. But yes, you're right, folks around here (in the 'burbs) like to leave hog-raising to the farmers.
It's Texas sounds like CPA is in a subdivision with acreage

It's Texas sounds like CPA is in a subdivision with acreage
Yah, I've never heard of that before. Hogs are not domestic animals and raising them is a commercial/agricultural activity that wouldn't be permitted in residential areas in most states. But hey, CPA sounds happy and if he wants to raise hogs and his neighbor doesn't mind, it's good by me.

Last edited:
I don't want to get too far off-thread here. But I'm actually not saying that restrictions make property "expensive" or "exclusive", just that they tend to increase value (which is basic economics). As far as "doing what you want with your land", that's an artifact of a bygone era (feudalism). No one's "king" anymore. Property owners get a bundle of rights, and that bundle has -- for better or worse -- been steadily downsized to protect the rights of neighbors and other members of the community. This varies by state and by region (usually the wealthier the area the more restrictions). Almost universally, what owners do with their properties affects others, sometimes profoundly.

I get zoning and if that is what the people choose, so be it. I like freedom more. As for feudalism, you might want to check on that.ost lords refused the right to build a defensive residence to their tenants. As for the king issue, stop paying your property taxes and see whether there really is a sovereign.

By the way, I agree, I wouldn't want a KFC next to me, or other commercial entity. That is my choice.

As to the University's choice to block others from having tall buildings, I get the motivation. I also think that NY should do pretty much whatever it takes (start with lowering all taxes) to jump start the economy. (Fracking in rural areas would help, too, but let's not get too political as I already recommended cutting taxes). If building a few tall building would help Syracuse, I would probably lean towards approving a few tall buildings. SU could have bought the land in the past to ensure they would have their view preserved, still can. (May require SU2NASA to get his capital hill friends to allocate some funds to the University, but he's a rocket scientist, he can figure out that part).

As I no longer live there, my opinion and $10 bucks might get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Which is ironic, because a lot of people in the suburbs are encroaching on the farmers. (I'd like to see stronger right-to-farm restrictions and much better protection of agricultural zones, but that hoping for too much from the cynical and cash-hungry feudal town governments in Upstate.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom