Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised that SU is planning building the new roof over the old roof, keeping it intact.

At the least, it will make the construction site a place of great interest among the engineering community of the world. This is an amazingly ambitious objective.

I really hope the contracts SU signs protect them in the event the project doesn't work out quite the way the contractors are telling SU it can be done.

Seriously, why does it cost $300k to figure that out?
It doesn't. It costs about $500 to figure it out. It takes an additional $299,500 to have a favorable outcome of the "investigation". And for an additional $200,000, we can make it look like it is Obama, Hillary or Trump's fault, your pick.

Reading about the dome updates, I am struggling with the cost. $255 million is their budget, it sounds like that is all they really know so far. It sounds like a lot, but I can't tell if it is a shoestring for what they want to do or if they will have plenty of bucks for all the nice to have features. Building a roof over the existing dome is what? $100 million? $150 million? Air conditioning is $10 million? $20 million? ADA upgrades is probably at least $10 to $20 million. Environmental impact and other analyses is probably at least $5 million. These are wild guesses. Anybody here with any first hand experience in this type of thing could maybe swag some numbers?

I would guess the biggest problem with the roof construction as they want to do it is removing the existing roof, having now to do it all interior to the building.

I'm wondering if the lack of specificity on the costs / scope of renovations is due in part to hopes for a line item in the next NYS budget.

Here's a free study on the bird thing...

Of course it does. Birds all over the world do this every day. They do it to my bay window at home. They do it to our store front at work all day. The yard doors at Chase Pitkin killed birds all day, everyday. All people involved in this study are morons.

Of course it does. Birds all over the world do this every day. They do it to my bay window at home. They do it to our store front at work all day. The yard doors at Chase Pitkin killed birds all day, everyday. All people involved in this study are morons.
Use bigger words, explain that it is not uncommon and that it helps thin the bustling nuisance bird population and then collect your $300k. Oh, also mention the Windex commercials and collect a nice check from them, or possibly a lifetime supply of Windex.

Different buildings too. The Viking dome has huge transparent walls . For our dome, it's mostly going to be the roof but nothing like this:
upload_2016-9-19_11-59-17.png

F the birds. There aren't any endangered birds in CNY anyway. It's definitely not crows they're worried about because they are too smart to fly into glass walls. Are they afraid of losing a few Canada Geese? SU should get paid a bounty for killing those miserable flying pests. They're like deer in that they hang out in your yard and crap all over everything. Or, robins? Grackles? Starlings? All dime-a-dozen birds.

Just to be clear, I also say screw them. My comments were regarding how stupid it was to study whether or not birds do this.

Orijinal said:
Wow. You guys hate birds.
I don't hate birds. I just don't think we should go out of our way to protect bird species that are as prevalent as ants and dumb enough to fly into buildings. Especially if it gets in the way of "progress".

I don't hate birds. I just don't think we should go out of our way to protect bird species that are as prevalent as ants and dumb enough to fly into buildings. Especially if it gets in the way of "progress".

I've always favored painting the dome sky blue with clouds on it to make even more birds fly into it.

Maybe that is why they call them "endangered"!

In any case. Studies may show why birds get killed and that helps create simple design methods to reduce the kills. Not sure why that is so controversial or pisses anyone off.
F the birds! F the birds! F the birds!

Campus Framework Open Forums,
Fall Construction Information Sessions

Students, faculty and staff encouraged to participate
The goal of the Campus Framework open forums is to review the draft plan with, and receive input and feedback from, students, faculty and staff. CPDC leaders and members of the Campus Framework Advisory Group will host and facilitate dialogue at the forums. Feedback received from the campus community will help inform the creation of the next draft of the Campus Framework, which will be updated and shared with the community in January 2017.

Campus Framework Open Forums

Community members interested in participating are invited to attend one or more of the following forums:

• Tuesday, Sept. 13, Goldstein Auditorium, 3-4:30 p.m.

• Saturday, Sept. 17, Life Sciences Complex, Auditorium 001, 11 a.m.-noon

• Wednesday, Sept. 21, Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium, Newhouse 3, 1:30-3 p.m.

• Monday, Sept. 26, Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium, Newhouse 3, 3-4:30 p.m.

• Thursday, Sept. 29, Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium, Newhouse 3, 1:30-3 p.m.

• Saturday, Oct. 29, Maxwell Auditorium, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

Fall Construction Information Sessions

Fall construction information sessions, similar to those held throughout the summer, will provide students, faculty and staff an opportunity to hear directly from CPDC staff about the progress of ongoing construction projects. All fall information sessions will be held in the Heroy Geology Building, Room 113, from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.

The schedule of those sessions is as follows:

• Tuesday, Sept. 20

• Wednesday, Oct. 19

• Tuesday, Nov. 15

• Wednesday, Dec. 7

American Sign Language (ASL) and Communication Access Real Time (CART) interpretation will be available for each event. If you have requests for accessibility and accommodations, please contact the Equal Opportunity, Inclusion

During Past Three Years, Donor Support to University Has Increased by 50 Percent as Enthusiasm Grows for Academic Strategic Plan, Campus Framework Projects
September 15, 2016 • by admin
As Syracuse University works to shape its future via the Academic Strategic Plan, along with the Campus Framework, the enthusiasm has grown in support of its ambitious goals. One critical avenue of support has been in the area of fundraising. Supporters have acknowledged the work being done—to enhance the University and promote an outstanding student experience—with increased donations to help drive the University’s efforts. Read the full article at SU News.

"Others charged in the probe were two top upstate developers, Steven Aiello of Syracuse and Louis Ciminelli of Buffalo. Also charged was Todd Howe, a former aide to Cuomo's late father and governor, Mario, and who was employed by a prominent lobbying firm."

SUNY Poly prez; ex-Cuomo aide charged in probe

So glad COR never got the stadium deal as there was rigged fixes all over that project....so just keep ripping Minor from saving us from a major blunder.COR never intended to hire "any" local contractors that were not under their thumb in some form one way or another and the Mayor could not accept that.
Mahoney's office is also under investigation by the feds...Stadium deal?

Is Aiello still on any Syracuse U. boards? He was listed earlier on one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors