Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
SU wanted nothing to do with that Stadium. People don't realize that when Minor turned it down she had the full backing of SU.
Not true. SU paid for the design study on it and as the letter from the university shows, was very interested in the project. No where does the university thank Miner for vetoing it or express agreement or relief she did so.

Dear Mayor Miner: SU details its arena vision

Maybe, maybe not. $200M could have been accepted and then they could have figured out the best spot for it.
Not even the SUNY system knew about these plans except that corrupt President of Upstate who was run out of there for shady Shyt. The veterans administration owned land right in the middle of that footprint and there was no way in hell you will throw them off their land. Then they would have needed court orders to throw off the other private businesses who owned buildings on the footprint which includes Smith Restaurant Supplies.
And the 500 million was just a starter for state funds to get it running and very few local contractors would have been hired to work there. Even the local non-union outfits were too costly for COR'S huge appetite for profits.
Mahoney and COR were scheming behind the curtains to cut out the required prevailing wages just like the recent indictment claims that happened in the inner harbor deal when Gerardi was hammering state officials to do so. COR still bid the jobs as if they were paying the prevailing wages using shell corporations owned by them under the numerous LLC'S they create for each project. COR'S problem was they were too local and the big labor leaders here knew their game and what plays they were calling.....Greed is what nailed these clowns

Not true. SU paid for the design study on it and as the letter from the university shows, was very interested in the project. No where does the university thank Miner for vetoing it or express agreement or relief she did so.

By what you write in your posts you truly know very little of what really went down. Wipe those tears away as the new stadium you wanted there was never going to happen.

• a $495 million cost for a 44,000 seat arena with retractable roof. The amount does not include parking or land acquisition.
They would have never gotten that land free. somebody was blowing smoke up their a$$e$ to get them to believe this pipe dream.

Originally it was to be for a hockey and basketball arena and that talk was on going for years.The football stadium took everyone by surprise when it was brought up.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance and lack of general knowledge here, but does anyone know, how these indictments will impact the $500 million awarded to CNY through the regional redevelopment grant? Seems with the Governor in a bit of hot water, some of these stimulus packages will get a second and third look.

Nobody is going to put that type of stuff in writing...Sheesh.

I still think Minor is a dolt but I think she and SU had some info on COR and what was coming.

As Otto noted Gross was a fan but when push came to shove SU had passed by the time Minor announced it was a no go. Trust me Minor would not have gone ahead and done that without having the tacit approval of the cities biggest private employer and main economic engine.

Pardon my ignorance and lack of general knowledge here, but does anyone know, how these indictments will impact the $500 million awarded to CNY through the regional redevelopment grant? Seems with the Governor in a bit of hot water, some of these stimulus packages will get a second and third look.
Cuomo isn't in hot water yet, he is just the bankroll who will claim he had no knowledge of any of it.

Not even the SUNY system knew about these plans except that corrupt President of Upstate who was run out of there for shady Shyt. The veterans administration owned land right in the middle of that footprint and there was no way in hell you will throw them off their land. Then they would have needed court orders to throw off the other private businesses who owned buildings on the footprint which includes Smith Restaurant Supplies.
And the 500 million was just a starter for state funds to get it running and very few local contractors would have been hired to work there. Even the local non-union outfits were too costly for COR'S huge appetite for profits.
Mahoney and COR were scheming behind the curtains to cut out the required prevailing wages just like the recent indictment claims that happened in the inner harbor deal when Gerardi was hammering state officials to do so. COR still bid the jobs as if they were paying the prevailing wages using shell corporations owned by them under the numerous LLC'S they create for each project. COR'S problem was they were too local and the big labor leaders here knew their game and what plays they were calling...Greed is what nailed these clowns
Since the deal had nothing to do with the SUNY system or VA, of course they were not involved. The county would own it...a private enterprise would run it, and SU is the tenant. Smith Restaurant supplies is well outside the footprint of this one proposed site. It's on the other side of 81. Your statement about it makes 0 sense.

As Otto noted Gross was a fan but when push came to shove SU had passed by the time Minor announced it was a no go. Trust me Minor would not have gone ahead and done that without having the tacit approval of the cities biggest private employer and main economic engine.
The the letter from SU to Miner was obviously a sham.

The the letter from SU to Miner was obviously a sham.

Not a sham but going through the motions, they were responding to her letter. SU likes having control, they were never consenting to being a tenant and having zero say over what happens to the stadium/field when they are not using it. Its the reason why the Carrier Dome is unoccupied most of the spring/summer save for one concert or one monster truck show. SU is very protective of their property including the Dome, they weren't letting the City/County hold Taste of Syracuse in their new stadium.

Since the deal had nothing to do with the SUNY system or VA, of course they were not involved. The county would own it...a private enterprise would run it, and SU is the tenant. Smith Restaurant supplies is well outside the footprint of this one proposed site. It's on the other side of 81. Your statement about it makes 0 sense.
Dude Upstate SUNY owned that land and I worked on that for 6 weeks and it too sits in the footprint.
CNY Biotech Accelerator | Technology Transfer | SUNY Upstate Medical University

"Seven months later, Cuomo's lieutenant governor, Robert Duffy, announced that Upstate Medical University, which owned the Kennedy Square site, would team with COR Development to develop the land"

Professor with Cuomo ties worked on many Upstate projects under investigation

And in that article there is a lot of juicy stuff that ties in parts of where this investigation is going and why Mahoney is being looked at.

I hope you learned something today......Or you may never learn and let go.

Seriously how much do you really know what is located there?

Ironically, now he's one of their biggest cheerleaders.

But yeah, ten years ago DeFrancisco was a guy with some actual weight who was opposed to the project.

I think you and I might have discussed this, but the way Congel got financing was ridiculous, people would be amazed. Banks wanted nothing to do with the project.
You're right, DeFran was the biggest obstacle back then. But you're dead wrong on the banks before the 2008 market crash. After 2008, the banks didn't want to loan $ for any commercial enterprise. Anywhere. Period.

The bids have been released with the new Hotel down at Destiny very recently. A union contractor won the plumbing and a non-union outfit won the heating bid and both are local,something COR would never do.
I know plenty of local elevator guys here who have worked on high rises down in NYC so there are guys I know for a "fact" that they can do these jobs. As a matter of fact their clambake was just two weeks ago and I spent some time with them there.
I did not asked how tall this hotel was at my meeting Monday night.
It's 7 stories, 209 all-suite rooms I believe, unless the plans were allowed to change after the initial OCIDA vote. In line with other mid-size hotels in Armory, but it's not going to be a flagship jewel like the Hotel Syracuse. What I'm more puzzled by is their decision to no longer attach directly to the mall. I assumed the main incentive for attachment was the convenience of leaving your coat in your room and not having to cross over traffic during the winter.

Seriously how much do you really know what is located there?

I know Smith Restaurant Supply is not there..or even close. I know that SUNY would not own, operate, or lease it. SUNY owned a parcel but that does not mean they would not sell. The Loguen Crossing project for Upstate proposed by COR was just that...a proposal.

Also reported then "It's not clear whether that precise location is still under consideration for a stadium, although county officials have sought state support for an arena project in the Kennedy Square area."

It's 7 stories, 209 all-suite rooms I believe, unless the plans were allowed to change after the initial OCIDA vote. In line with other mid-size hotels in Armory, but it's not going to be a flagship jewel like the Hotel Syracuse. What I'm more puzzled by is their decision to no longer attach directly to the mall. I assumed the main incentive for attachment was the convenience of leaving your coat in your room and not having to cross over traffic during the winter.

I don't know if you can call the Hotel Syracuse a flagship jewel, its a three/four star Marriott.

There are some nice features but the fit and finish left a little to be desired, I understand it's WIP.

I think they opened early but needed some revenue.

I know Smith Restaurant Supply is not there..or even close. I know that SUNY would not own, operate, or lease it. SUNY owned a parcel but that does not mean they would not sell. The Loguen Crossing project for Upstate proposed by COR was just that...a proposal.

Also reported then "It's not clear whether that precise location is still under consideration for a stadium, although county officials have sought state support for an arena project in the Kennedy Square area."
lol...I spent the first 32 years of my life living just a few short miles from there.....I worked up on that location a few times over the years. Just last summer I worked at Syracuse stage too.
This right here( whttp://www.upstate.edu/techtransfer/startups/incubator.phpas) is bordering Kennedy square and I watched Mexicans every morning climb out of a trailer to work the Demo work to tear down the old buildings.
Smith Restaurant is directly north of that location.

SUNY does not own a 100 acres there,more like 10 and the current Dome's footprint is wide enough to reach out to Erie blvd.

those are small blocks that stretch north and south.there is also some type of aids clinic inside the footprint that they would need to build it.
The inner harbor area that is by Harbor View liquors was an area that was being talked about,but COR screwed that over too.COR does not own that land but wants it badly.Bunch of old empty buildings sit there now.

Last edited:
lol...I spent the first 32 years of my life living just a few short miles from there...I worked up on that location a few times over the years. Just last summer I worked at Syracuse stage too.
This right here( whttp://www.upstate.edu/techtransfer/startups/incubator.phpas) is bordering Kennedy square and I watched Mexicans every morning climb out of a trailer to work the Demo work to tear down the old buildings.
Smith Restaurant is directly north of that location.

Don't have a dog in the fight here, but Smith Restaurant Supply is on the other side of 81 and definitely not directly north of the Biotech Accelerator. Directly north of there is the U-Haul storage building and Firestone service center.

I don't know if you can call the Hotel Syracuse a flagship jewel, its a three/four star Marriott.

There are some nice features but the fit and finish left a little to be desired, I understand it's WIP.

I think they opened early but needed some revenue.
Cue the posters who say the star rankings don't matter ;). My personal opinion, the architectural elements alone have it well positioned to eventually attain a 4-star rating if things like first impressions, character, and ambience matter.

I can understand why you'd say it leaves you wanting a bit more, though. I'm hoping they complete the build-out of the proposed restaurants. The one I'm most keen on is the 11th floor steakhouse which sounds like it will be a very classy experience. The Irish Pub should also prove popular as long as it feels like a pub. Eleven Waters - just judging from the pictures - looks like it could use a warmer color scheme. And while I appreciate Riley's desire to preserve all of the original hotel elements, the barbershop bar concept doesn't seem cohesive. But I'm the biggest fan of this hotel and I hope it continues to gather momentum and becomes the new favorite gathering place for meetings, banquets, and special events.

Congel I know for a fact had an impossible time in trying to get the banks to loan enough money to build the Bigger Destiny like he wanted right after the financial disaster in '08. DeFrancico was a much bigger obstruction to the Mall than the city and by a lot. His obstruction was personal court losses to Congel...
As someone who actually worked on the Destiny Project I can confirm this. This was always a pipe dream at best. It's a classic Harvard business case of disfunctional organization back during those times. Just to be clear I was working directly with the big boys. There was never anything close to financing.

We're talking about the Kennedy Square stadium here?

Not only was it a pie-in-the-sky dream idea (which I think City Hall knew), but that kind of development would have had no positives from the city's point of view. None. And I know they were aware of that. There was no room for "support with stipulations" - even if it was a serious idea (which it wasn't), it was a terrible idea. It had support in three places (four if you count Gross's brief flirtation with the scheme, before SU caught wind and cut him out): the governor (who wanted to piss away money before an upcoming election but had and has limited interest in the nuts and bolts of good development and planning), the county executive (who's every bit as crooked as the governor and driven by many of the same motivations), and COR (whose intentions were evident then, even more so today).
I was speaking with Rep. Katko about this. His opinion was the Miner blew it. She could have demanded that an excise tax be put on tickets sold. Would have funded infra structure improvements for decades.

I was speaking with Rep. Katko about this. His opinion was the Miner blew it. She could have demanded that an excise tax be put on tickets sold. Would have funded infra structure improvements for decades.
an excise tax on tickets sold to syracuse football games this year wouldn't fund the driveway I need to replace at home

Don't have a dog in the fight here, but Smith Restaurant Supply is on the other side of 81 and definitely not directly north of the Biotech Accelerator. Directly north of there is the U-Haul storage building and Firestone service center.
Actually you are right as I walked over there a few times. West of there a few blocks. We had to park in a lot by there as they were doing to ground work,paving and landscaping there.But either way there is a few private business there and there is no way SUNY or the state would tear down a brand new building that costs north of 40 million to build.

Google Maps

Millhouse said:
an excise tax on tickets sold to syracuse football games this year wouldn't fund the driveway I need to replace at home

How about an excise tax on beer sales?

Katko being a Republican while Miner is a Democrat I'm sure had absolutely nothing to do with his comments. Nothing whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom