Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 74 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care if wegmans boasts being a ny company. But they are still a local ny company with a presence in Syracuse.

The trouble is a lot of "local" companies don't have the capital for a move like this...

The shirt world dome?
Yancy's Fancy Dome?
Byrne Dairy Dome?
The Lost Horizon Dome?
All are prob to small to afford a bid that would win.
Shirt World Dome - Tickets are $45, no wait - $95. For you - $125.

I don't care if wegmans boasts being a ny company. But they are still a local ny company with a presence in Syracuse.

The trouble is a lot of "local" companies don't have the capital for a move like this...

The shirt world dome?
Yancy's Fancy Dome?
Byrne Dairy Dome?
The Lost Horizon Dome?
All are prob to small to afford a bid that would win.

Wegman's shows up as a frequently mentioned prospective Dome name because --- just as you point out --- its one of the few CNY or Western NY companies that seem like they could afford it. People think hard, scratch their heads, and then come up with Wegmans.

Who is going to get $1.5M of benefit by having the Dome named for them and getting the name-recognition and exposure delivered every time the XXX Dome is mentioned?

A local firm would be a natural. But no one seems to be able to name any candidates (except Rochester-based Wegman's)

If I were SU and wanted to re-market these naming rights, I'd search for:

A company with a name recognition problem in their markets (3Com?). And these markets would have to be in NYS primarily and in the ACC footprint secondarily. Although SU does play a lot of National games, especially in Basketball)

A company with big revenues and/or a huge Advertising budget in which $1.5M/yr would be relative chump-change.

Banks, Credit Card Companies, Telecommunications/Cable Companies, and Insurance Companies would be at the top of my list.

To me Food Lion is closely linked with with the ACC. And Wegman's might want to also advertise on ACC games.

But linking the Wegman's name to a stadium in New York doesn't do that effectively.
Food Lion sucks! Harris Teeter is simular to Wegmans, even Lowes Foods is better then any other NY store.

You actually think it might be that whatever contract existed giving of this gift by Carrier in 1980 had clauses in it outlooking SU buying the name back and pricing that at FMV?

My guess is that there was no contract. But there may have been some letters exchanged with the one from Carrier describing how the money was to be spent and what they felt the Universities responsibilities were.

No, that isn't what I wrote. Assume, arguendo, that Carrier and SU have discussed the matter (which is a reasonable assumption) and Carrier was unsure they wanted to pay for the naming rights but still wants to test the waters, Carrier could agree to allow Syracuse to market the rights to determine a FMV. Meanwhile, Carrier maintains the right to match the best offer, if they so chose to keep the name on the Dome. They may even have an agreement that Carrier could match the FMV at a discounted rate.

Regardless, If the University is shopping the naming rights, the University believes they will get money for these rights. It does not matter whether Carrier has rights or not (assuming the extremes) or the two have made a mutual agreement (which is most likely) on how to move forward. Carrier would be foolish to not put forth a claim of some value. Syracuse would be foolish no to put forth their claim it is no longer a "Dome". It's business, generally there is a happy medium.

For the record, I don't hold either extreme as an opinion, just a bargaining point for each side.

Food Lion sucks! Harris Teeter is simular to Wegmans, even Lowes Foods is better then any other NY store.

Doesn't matter. They are all going out of business in a few years.

COSTCO is squeezing them from the top and specialty stores are squeezing them from the bottom.

You actually think it might be that whatever contract existed giving of this gift by Carrier in 1980 had clauses in it outlooking SU buying the name back and pricing that at FMV?

My guess is that there was no contract. But there may have been some letters exchanged with the one from Carrier describing how the money was to be spent and what they felt the Universities responsibilities were.
There was a contract. The university has mentioned it many times. Gift in return for the name.

Name game: SU bound to Carrier for the Dome as others find more lucrative deals

Last edited:
At least half of the largest stadium naming rights deals are with companies that are headquartered in the same state. Come on, now.

IMG_0945.PNG
IMG_0946.JPG

The HHHUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEE Dome!

No huh?

Wegmans is waaaay ahead of the curve. They are morphing into a restaurant, bank, full service location that happens to sell groceries.

They are going nowhere.

I'm not saying it's Wegmans but they used to sponsor a major LPGA event in Rochester costing them millions every year. They may be on the lookout for other sponsorships that meet their corporate objectives. $1.5 million per year they wouldn't blink an eye assuming they are interested and expansion down the coast is in their long term plans. Just saying ;)!

Townie72 said:
Are they advertising the fact that they are a New York company? Because there's no mention of that here in Maryland and Virginia. Putting your thumb in the eye of the customer --- by making a big deal of these NY roots --- isn't exactly a winning strategy.

Wegmans has the best product in the industry...and they know it.

Market penetration begins with awareness, once reinforced with the notion of quality, you have a winner. You achieve awareness in a new market by getting your name in front of people...especially in live sporting events where people don't FF through commercials and you get your name in the content people are there to view.

It's not Wegmans of New York. It's not Yankee food Wegmans. It's Wegmans.

And Wegmans has a built in marketing staff down south with all the transplants who will go waaaay out of their way to shop there and tell others.

For chrissakes Japan built a market in the United States less than 30 years after WWII - why? They made good stuff.

And if Wegmans was so concerned about Southern backlash against a northern producer...THEY WOULDNT BE EXPANDING SOUTH.

Wegmans is waaaay ahead of the curve. They are morphing into a restaurant, bank, full service location that happens to sell groceries.

They are going nowhere.

Restaurant, bar, coffee shop, day care and special events too. 'Massively impressive

Oh, I agree.

And Food Lion is the worst. And Wegman's is much better. (I am generally oblivious about such things and even I know that.)

What we are discussing here is the Wegman's Advertising and promotion budget and how money might be best spent. You can buy a whole lot of newspaper advertising for $1.5M per year.

And on the Marketing strategy side, how does Wegman's want to position itself? Your description of Wegman's is an almost pitch-perfect positioning statement (high-end, competitively-priced, family-friendly).

What does spending $1.5M a year on the name of a stadium in CNY do to promote that positioning statement?

I don't think it's impossible. But the reason for doing it doesn't seem that obvious to me. I never thought Carrier would be a player. Its and industrial marketer not a consumer one.

Why are you trying to convince us that Wegman's is making a bad move (if others are right and they're actually in the bidding)? Go tell the Wegman's board. What the heck do Syracuse fans care whose name is on the stadium as long as they're helping to finance the renovation? I'm really not sure what your point is supposed to be in second-guessing how Wegman's spends their marketing dollars.

Why are you trying to convince us that Wegman's is making a bad move (if others are right and they're actually in the bidding)? Go tell them. What the heck do Syracuse fans care whose name is on the stadium as long as they're helping to finance the renovation? I'm really not sure what your point is supposed to be in second-guessing how Wegman's spends their marketing dollars.
Could you imagine a Wegmans SuperCenter attached to one end of the Dome, on campus? The way they think, I can

Wegmans has the best product in the industry...and they know it.

Market penetration begins with awareness, once reinforced with the notion of quality, you have a winner. You achieve awareness in a new market by getting your name in front of people...especially in live sporting events where people don't FF through commercials and you get your name in the content people are there to view.

It's not Wegmans of New York. It's not Yankee food Wegmans. It's Wegmans.

And Wegmans has a built in marketing staff down south with all the transplants who will go waaaay out of their way to shop there and tell others.

For chrissakes Japan built a market in the United States less than 30 years after WWII - why? They made good stuff.

And if Wegmans was so concerned about Southern backlash against a northern producer...THEY WOULDNT BE EXPANDING SOUTH.
There will be no backlash. Ever here is excited they are coming to Chapel Hill. Mrs. Crusty will drag my sorry butt up there as often as she can and I will go willingly!

Wegman's is going out of business? Riiiight.

The world is changing, orange 79.

Malls are dying - On Rockville Pike up the street from Washington, DC they have just about finished tearing White Flint Mall down. It was the largest and best Mall in Montgomery County, MD forever. The other two malls have open spaces where stores used to be and the the stores that are there are increasingly more downscale.

Supermarkets are going to die because COSTCO is killing them for bulk goods and specialty stores like Trader Joe's are pulling customers for specialty products.

Maybe they can morph into something else. But the old model is going away, just like the neighborhood food markets we had many years ago. The supermarkets ate them. The big box retailers and specialty stores are going to eat the supermarkets.

Malls are dying - On Rockville Pike up the street from Washington, DC they have just about finished tearing White Flint Mall down. It was the largest and best Mall in Montgomery County, MD forever. The other two malls have open spaces where stores used to be and the the stores that are there are increasingly more downscale.

Supermarkets are going to die because COSTCO is killing them for bulk goods and specialty stores like Trader Joe's are pulling customers for specialty products.

Maybe they can morph into something else. But the old model is going away, just like the neighborhood food markets we had many years ago. The supermarkets ate them. The big box retailers and specialty stores are going to eat the supermarkets.
The way Wegmans has reinvented itself, they are going nowhere but up. They have become a destination.

Dead wrong here. Costco & Walmarts try to compete with their megastores against Wegmans and they even do not even dare to put stores anywhere near a Wegmans anymore. Wegmans tends to be one of the best, if not the best, company to work for nationally. Even the new Costco in Camillus is underperforming.

Even Alec Baldwin cannot convince his mother Carol Baldwin to leave Syracuse because of a simple reason - Wegmans - well documented!

Wholesale clubs have been around for years...not like its a radically new business concept. I shop at Costco, but the problem is they don't carry everything a supermarket does (Deli, product variety), aren't open all night, and frankly, I don't always want the 5 lb tub of mayo that costs $12.

The name of the game is one-stop shopping, and Wegmans has the product variety consumers want (huge organic offerings), while beginning to offer the services wholesale clubs do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom