Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. But as you and Cuseguy said above, there would need to be another hotel to provide rooms on or reallyclose to campus. Tearing it down without some sort of replacement would be a mistake, IMO.

Wasn't there talk that in the renovations of the Dome that there would be a 400 room hotel added to one side of it? That would make up for the "loss" of the Sheraton.

CuseOnly said:
Wasn't there talk that in the renovations of the Dome that there would be a 400 room hotel added to one side of it? That would make up for the "loss" of the Sheraton.

Supposedly.

I'm trying to figure out how they're going to squeeze a hotel between the Dome and the law building.

And that's hardly the center of activity there unless there's an event at the Dome.

What's the national security implications of high speed rail service?
The Interstates had no national security implications. Evacuating the cities with Soviet missiles and bombers in the air? That sounds like a plan!

I'm sure you know that many projects are too big for private enterprise to take the lead. But my point--and I may not have made it clear--was that Moynihan was sick and tired of US brainpower, whether in academia, the government, or private enterprise, developing ideas in technology, systems management and many other fields that our leaders (in the public and private spheres) were too timid or short-sighted to tkae advantage of. Even something as mundane as TQM, which was ignored in this country but embraced by the Japanese, who used it to hand us our lunch for two decades.

And, wouldn't it be nice to go from midtown Manhattan to the heart of Chicago in 4 hours?

Maybe I'm more of a Marriott guy, but as a NJ alum ('97), neither me nor my family have ever stayed at the Sheraton. As long as the rooms lost are accommodated via the Hotel Syracuse Marriott or the new Dome hotel, getting rid of the Sheraton isn't a bid deal IMHO.

The Interstates had no national security implications. Evacuating the cities with Soviet missiles and bombers in the air? That sounds like a plan!

I'm sure you know that many projects are too big for private enterprise to take the lead. But my point--and I may not have made it clear--was that Moynihan was sick and tired of US brainpower, whether in academia, the government, or private enterprise, developing ideas in technology, systems management and many other fields that our leaders (in the public and private spheres) were too timid or short-sighted to tkae advantage of. Even something as mundane as TQM, which was ignored in this country but embraced by the Japanese, who used it to hand us our lunch for two decades.

And, wouldn't it be nice to go from midtown Manhattan to the heart of Chicago in 4 hours?
An interesting fact about the highways is that they are designed so that every few miles there is a straight, flat 1 mile section for plane landings. Part of the Cold War planning.

Reactions: cto
An interesting fact about the highways is that they are designed so that every few miles there is a straight, flat 1 mile section for plane landings. Part of the Cold War planning.
That one looks to be an Urban Myth. South Korea does have a major highway south of Seoul that can convert into a makeshift runway though.

One morsel from last evening in Baltimore was that whatever plan is green lighted for the I-81 project, the timetable is 6 years.

Maybe I'm more of a Marriott guy, but as a NJ alum ('97), neither me nor my family have ever stayed at the Sheraton. As long as the rooms lost are accommodated via the Hotel Syracuse Marriott or the new Dome hotel, getting rid of the Sheraton isn't a bid deal IMHO.
I've stayed at the Sheraton and it's very nice. But so are some other hotels (Crowne Plaza is very nice). The Sheraton's advantage is location, location. SU owns the hotel and Sheraton manages it. We don't know what chain would get the new hotel contract.

This discussion is fun, but does anyone have any solid information about when the BOT will release the master plan?

Not that I stay there regularly, but I have to say that in the late 90s/early 2000s the Sheraton was a dump. Rooms were grimy. I've stayed there a couple times in the past 3-4 years and it was markedly better.

The biggest issue with the Sheraton is how it's location blocks the look of the hill. When the lot is reconfigured, the look up from University Ave will have better sight lines.

This discussion is fun, but does anyone have any solid information about when the BOT will release the master plan?
All details are on the pay side.

Seriously though, my understanding is by the end of the year.

The biggest issue with the Sheraton is how it's location blocks the look of the hill. When the lot is reconfigured, the look up from University Ave will have better sight lines.
Jerry welcome back...check your inbox

Not that I stay there regularly, but I have to say that in the late 90s/early 2000s the Sheraton was a dump. Rooms were grimy. I've stayed there a couple times in the past 3-4 years and it was markedly better.
Agree, but I have to admit that I miss the old SU-themed bar. I think that the atmosphere of the new one is rather sterile

longtimefan said:
Not so. It wasn't the private sector that built the interstate highway system, or initiated the internet. I could go on. The point is, there are many projects, especially those involving infrastructure, where private investment cannot or will not (for reasons of profit) get involved until the government has got the ball rolling.
The U.S needs to fully embrace the concept of public-private partnerships the way Canada has. Otherwise, we risk failing even more behind in maintaining and modernizing our infrastructure. All the governments need to do is identify projects and put out requests for proposals and they will get their projects built by private consortia, usually quicker and more efficiently than through traditional means of funding public goods in this country (i.e. municipal bonds, taxes, etc). High-speed rail, light rail, roads,etc are very suitable for this. More and more states are catching on but NY is one of those still struggling with this concept. But, I digress...

The U.S needs to fully embrace the concept of public-private partnerships the way Canada has. Otherwise, we risk failing even more behind in maintaining and modernizing our infrastructure. All the governments need to do is identify projects and put out requests for proposals and they will get their projects built by private consortia, usually quicker and more efficiently than through traditional means of funding public goods in this country (i.e. municipal bonds, taxes, etc). High-speed rail, light rail, roads,etc are very suitable for this. More and more states are catching on but NY is one of those still struggling with this concept. But, I digress...
Can you point out examples of some of these that the government identified and put out RFPs not funded by bonds or taxes? If not funded by taxes or munis, why is the government even involved and who pays?

Can you point out examples of some of these that the government identified and put out RFPs not funded by bonds or taxes? If not funded by taxes or munis, why is the government even involved and who pays?
Thinking public entity lending type situations maybe, tax credit deals, etc.

When we find out how much the state can do for us.

Specifically, this will be shortly after Cuomo announces the URI "Best Plan Awardees," including the designation of the 500 million. I think this is scheduled for December.

really trying here to embrace this school of thought. I can see it now, can't wait to find myself fighting 25-40,000 others to try and get to the buses. Then when we all get there it's going to be great to stand in line for who knows how long (especially enjoyable in inclement weather) waiting for a spot on a bus all wonderfully squeezed into the arm pit of some large sweaty fan, wondering why all the xtra buses proposed to avoid this very predicament just didn't pan out like they said.

Or even better how all of this as described will add another hour to the game day experience and make tailgating more of a logistical headache. Just can't wait to experience this to wonderfully enhance the game day experience. Sorry at this point, though I'm trying to wrap my had around it and what you guys are saying, I'm having a hard time seeing how this won't suck.

Because it will suck. Syracuse has proven over and over again that when it comes to things like this the logistics never work out. It sounds great in theory but as you noted how are you going to get 35-40K people over to the stadium? Are we going to have a fleet of buses that are used 30 times a year? Really hope the chancellor feels this out before going forward without taking everything into consideration.

Because it will suck. Syracuse has proven over and over again that when it comes to things like this the logistics never work out. It sounds great in theory but as you noted how are you going to get 35-40K people over to the stadium? Are we going to have a fleet of buses that are used 30 times a year? Really hope the chancellor feels this out before going forward without taking everything into consideration.

I'd be curious to know how many parking spots there actually are near the Dome. Not parking garage spaces, but just surface lot parking spaces. And only lots owned by SU. I'd bet at this point that the number is surprisingly low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom