Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not an investment, though. Carrier is renting/leasing the right. An investment is typically something you own.
They are not renting or leasing the "right". That is not correct. This was a "gift" that turned into a great investment accidentally. They gave SU a gift in return for a campus building being named after them. This is not unlike any other building name up on the hill. This was not a "naming rights" deal and has no end date. The Crouse family didn't lease or rent the right to have their name on Crouse Hall. They gave a generous gift with an agreement that the building would bear that name. Same with Carrier.

It's not an investment, though. Carrier is renting/leasing the right. An investment is typically something you own.

As an intangible asset, UTC should be including the value of the rights on their annual report's balance sheet.

As an intangible asset, UTC should be including the value of the rights on their annual report's balance sheet.
Accountant-Green-Visor3.jpg

Nah, intangibles on the balance sheet come from acquisitions of other companies.

Yeah, I think the final nail has been driven into that coffin, no land swap.

I'd be surprised if University Avenue is abandoned, especially in light of the 81 project. Wonder if that was an oversight or if this is an incomplete map.
It would be weird to omit a street. Especially one that is part of the new path they spent so much money on. University Ave was by far the best way to get to Marshall St coming from the north. If they get rid of it, it is really going to tax the surrounding streets, especially on game days. Driving around will be far less convenient. Irving gets you heading north but how do you head south if you are near Marshall? Seems crazy to me.

One thing I will note...that block owned by SUNY ESF just east of the Fine Lot was just razed. The houses on it were knocked down years ago but as of the last home game, it was full of trees, asphalt, rocks and debris. Now the whole block has been flattened by bulldozers and it appears ready to be paved.

If ESF isn't going to do anything with it, I wonder if they are going to lease it to SU for a while and get a kickback from all the money that can be made from parking fees on it?

Something is at least happening there. Would be great to get more parking, even for a year or two. The West parking lots are really taxed now and when it comes time for winter and we lose a lot of spaces to snow, it will just get worse.

I'll concede you're right with some caveats. Miami hasn't competed in a while, at least since they stopped cheating with impunity, despite being in one of the most fertile recruiting cities in the country. ND is the epicenter of football, and although they are technically a private school, their reach I would argue is greater than every other major program. ND can walk into any state and pull a player, not something the Cuse, Dukes, NW, etc. can do. USC also benefits from being in a recruiting hotbed, and plays the Hollywood card. I realize this is a stupid argument for them, but they feel like a big state school, more so than a private. Great branding has done them well, not to mention 11 national titles. USC and ND are certainly the outliers of the private schools.
with the level of recruits Miami gets they should compete. The fact that they don't has been about bad coaching hires. That may have been corrected this time around.

Concrete timeline lacking for housing changes proposed in Campus Framework draft
It includes proposed buildings on the western side of I81 (probably with the expectation that I81 will be gone in that area by then).
View attachment 79238

Any chance any one of the big 3 (SU/ESF/Upstate) can buy out Pioneer Homes? If a boulevard becomes the new gateway to the city from the south, the last thing I want to see is a subsidized housing project greeting me. Talk about horrible first impressions.

They are not renting or leasing the "right". That is not correct. This was a "gift" that turned into a great investment accidentally. They gave SU a gift in return for a campus building being named after them. This is not unlike any other building name up on the hill. This was not a "naming rights" deal and has no end date. The Crouse family didn't lease or rent the right to have their name on Crouse Hall. They gave a generous gift with an agreement that the building would bear that name. Same with Carrier.

Then I stand corrected. I did not realize that's how the deal was done.

The path I favor of least resistance is to keep the Carrier name on the dome and rename the entire complex when the renovations are done.

The Carrier Dome at AT&T Center for example.

I wish they had done this in Buffalo. New Era Field at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Hate that they got rid of the Ralph.

Are they tearing it down?

Don't know for sure. SAE got kicked off campus last year and then got in trouble after that so SU told them it would be at least 5 years before getting back on. Instead of renting it out or sitting on it, I guess it was easier to cut losses and sell.

Havent gotten any official word from SAE yet so its all through the grapevine.

But the place needs to be torn down. Its a piece of crap.

Are they tearing it down?

It always looked like the brotherhood treated it badly, was one of the shabbiest parcels on the block. (I can think of someone on here who knows more about this than I do, though.) But it's a contributing property to the historic district, so it's protected. Something would have to go very wrong for it to be torn down.

It's vacant right now, and presumably SU will renovate it next summer. Tax-exempt or not, they'll want to get some productive use out of it.

Don't know for sure. SAE got kicked off campus last year and then got in trouble after that so SU told them it would be at least 5 years before getting back on. Instead of renting it out or sitting on it, I guess it was easier to cut losses and sell.

Havent gotten any official word from SAE yet so its all through the grapevine.

But the place needs to be torn down. Its a piece of crap.

It's a historic home though, built in 1900 for $900,000 in 2016 dollars by the head of Nabisco operations in Syracuse. Hopefully when not occupied by a frat that could care less about taking care of it, it could actually be restored to the beautiful home that it is.

It's a historic home though, built in 1900 for $900,000 in 2016 dollars by the head of Nabisco operations in Syracuse. Hopefully when not occupied by a frat that could care less about taking care of it, it could actually be restored to the beautiful home that it is.

It definitely has loads of character. I'm sure it could be restored to its natural beauty. Would love to see it stand.

Any chance any one of the big 3 (SU/ESF/Upstate) can buy out Pioneer Homes? If a boulevard becomes the new gateway to the city from the south, the last thing I want to see is a subsidized housing project greeting me. Talk about horrible first impressions.
I would not be surprised to see the property acquired by the SU. I-81 will be replaced with a boulevard and I have heard that SU will be expanding to the west side of the former I-81. This would be a win-win for the city.

Ok this just in. Active bidding going on behind the scenes for naming rights. Current bid by a company not named Carrier stands at $1.5 million per year for a contractual 10 years ($15 million total). Could go much higher...

Last edited:
Ok this just in. Active bidding going on behind the scenes for naming rights. Current bid by a company not named Carrier stands at $1.5 million for a contractual 10 years. Could go much higher...

Wow, so is Carrier out or are we giving them a piece of the pie?

Ok this just in. Active bidding going on behind the scenes for naming rights. Current bid by a company not named Carrier stands at $1.5 million for a contractual 10 years. Could go much higher...

i assume 1.5 per year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors